700r4 Old vs New

Started by soltvedt, December 07, 2006, 03:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"

I can't remember how you have it hooked to the carb (running a carb??), but the geometry there is as important as the adjustment.

700R4 Info HERE  

c ya,

Sum

a 1991 truck should be EFI

Thanks Tony, I was too lazy to go back up and read the first of the post  8) , so his linkage is probably all right.

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"

I can't remember how you have it hooked to the carb (running a carb??), but the geometry there is as important as the adjustment.

700R4 Info HERE  

c ya,

Sum

a 1991 truck should be EFI

Thanks Tony, I was too lazy to go back up and read the first of the post  8) , so his linkage is probably all right.

Sum

======== you retired guys have all the time.

:-}
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

soltvedt

TV CABLE ADJUSTMENTS

Well, I think my truck shifting right, but I would rather err on the "safe" side considering this 1984 700r4 is a notably "weak" transmission.

I am assuming these things:

THE TV CABLE REGULATES THE PRESSURE ON THE CLUTCH PLATES

TIGHTER TV CABLE = MORE PRESSURE

MORE PRESSURE = LESS PLATE SLIPPAGE

LESS SLIPPAGE = SAFER FOR MY 700R4

So, if I slide the TV cable adjuster all the way "in" towards the firewall, and instead of MANUALLY cranking the throttle open, I press the FOOT PEDAL all the way down instead, shouldn't that be considered more of a "safe" setting - since the pedal might not actually be opening my throttle up all the way while driving?

If I do it the MANUAL way, aren't I risking pulling the adjuster too far out, and ending up with the possibility of a loose TV cable that is not getting pulled tight enough, and then risking clutch plate slippage, and premature transmission failure?

From what I can tell about the way that the adjuster works, that it is impossible to set it too tight. It will always "click" the adjuster out one more notch (when the foot pedal is pushed while driving) if the cable is too tight. So with that being said, I can't really ever set my cable too tight (i.e. too safe), can I?

Am I on the right track here?

1FATGMC

Quote from: "soltvedt"TV CABLE ADJUSTMENTS

Well, I think my truck shifting right, but I would rather err on the "safe" side considering this 1984 700r4 is a notably "weak" transmission.

I am assuming these things:

THE TV CABLE REGULATES THE PRESSURE ON THE CLUTCH PLATES

TIGHTER TV CABLE = MORE PRESSURE

MORE PRESSURE = LESS PLATE SLIPPAGE

LESS SLIPPAGE = SAFER FOR MY 700R4

So, if I slide the TV cable adjuster all the way "in" towards the firewall, and instead of MANUALLY cranking the throttle open, I press the FOOT PEDAL all the way down instead, shouldn't that be considered more of a "safe" setting - since the pedal might not actually be opening my throttle up all the way while driving?

If I do it the MANUAL way, aren't I risking pulling the adjuster too far out, and ending up with the possibility of a loose TV cable that is not getting pulled tight enough, and then risking clutch plate slippage, and premature transmission failure?

From what I can tell about the way that the adjuster works, that it is impossible to set it too tight. It will always "click" the adjuster out one more notch (when the foot pedal is pushed while driving) if the cable is too tight. So with that being said, I can't really ever set my cable too tight (i.e. too safe), can I?

Am I on the right track here?

I've used this method (also on my site):

When finished one way to test the TV cable linkage setup is to take off in first with normal acceleration and then when the trans does the 1-2 shift nail it and it should kick back down into 1st. I adjust mine to the point where it wouldn't do the downshift and then back the other way one click at a time with the slider until it will. Make sure pressing the pedal to the floor gives you WOT (wide open throttle) and the pedal isn't hitting the carpet or something.

First do the WOT and then fine tune it like in the paragraph above.  Has worked for me and came with some instructions from one of the tranny guys, but can't remember who.

Sum