ecotec

Started by kb426, December 05, 2006, 08:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Does anybody have and info on the chevy ecotec? I need educated.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"Does anybody have and info on the chevy ecotec? I need educated.

I have seen them go real fast but I have not had any time to look them over.  I was wondering how much modification is needed to make them produce a lot of power and stay together.  My guess is there is a lot of money envolved.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Uncle Bob

You're a little vague on what you want to know, but GM has a couple performance books out on hopping them up.  Should be able to get them from any dealer that's performance oriented.  Might also be available on Amazon or ebay.  This is the bullet they use to fire up the youth market, as John said, they seem to build big power (relatively).

The first I really started to notice them was at SEMA a couple years ago.  They had several on display in various states of tune.  I think they'd make a great tract T emgine, when cleaned up they look Offy-esque, and don't have some of the lower rep the Quad 4's had.  If you go after a factory crate engine with the blower they're pretty spendy at near $3k, but low mile take outs seem pretty cheap.  I've seen a couple 0 mile complete, naturally aspirated, go on ebay for around $8-900.  There was a wrecker take out with 24k miles in Craigslist a couple months ago that was priced at $150.  If you're into injection you'll want the controller and wiring.  If you want carbs and distributor there are some companies that make the hardware.  The p/s pump is driven off the back of one of the cams, so the dist would go there, but it's at the flywheel end, so could be a firewall clearance issue.  The same companies make trans adapters so you can get away from the fwd setup, though the Solstice comes with a six speed inline (still spendy since there's not a lot out there).  I don't have the names of these companies, but found them with a google search.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

1FATGMC

This one has gone 340,

Sum

kb426

My friend has an Austin Healy that makes 43 hp stock. He's looking for an engine that's small enough to go in without major work. The bellhousing was just 1 unknown. Thanks guys.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Seems like GM offers a Ecotec crate motor with a super charger on it.'

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Sean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterham_CSR

What is a Duratec? Fords version of the Ecotec? This outfit is getting 260hp out of them...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"My friend has an Austin Healy that makes 43 hp stock. He's looking for an engine that's small enough to go in without major work. The bellhousing was just 1 unknown. Thanks guys.

A 2.8 chevy V-6 is some what narrow.  Mayb worth putting a yard stick measure  to it?

~:)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)