A couple of "new guy" questions

Started by msuguydon, December 01, 2006, 09:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

1)  Mirrored head lights. I have seen Kustoms with mirrored head lights, is this a cover? or is it a mirror finish on the glass.  Related question, are these functional lights, in other words do they light pass through them?  Whats the general opinion on mirrored lights, cool, lame?  over done?  Where can you purchase mirrored lights or light covers?

2)  This question is more specific to my car.  My 58 chevy has a square shaped, remote adjust rearview mirror.  How do I determine if this was a stock mirror.  To be honest, I don't like the mirror and its gonna be replaced with a round 58 Impala mirror.  Can you recommend a book or web site to determine the options offered in 58 and on what vehicles.

Thanks.
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

58 Yeoman

Don, I think the mirrored headlights that you are talking about are the chrome half covers.  They are metal, and fit behind the retaining ring on the sealed beams.  They make them for quad and single headlights.  You should be able to find them at auto accessory outlets.

As far as the outside mirror goes, I think all ext. mirrors may have been a dealer installed option, as I've seen mirrors mounted on both the doors and fenders.  I've never seen a remote mirror, you may want to list that one on ebay if you're taking it off.  Most of the mirrors that I've seen have been round.

The book I have only shows two pics with cars having ext. mirrors, and they are both on the door, and both round.  It doesn't list what the options were for '58.  From my own experience, AC was a dealer installed option, two auto transmissions, the 2sp powerglide, and the turbohydomatic.  Power steering had a pump on the back of the generator.  I've never seen one with power brakes, but doesn't mean they weren't available.  Mine had windshield washers as a factory option; glass jar with a vacuum operated pump on top of the jar.

Another 'dress-up' option I've seen were the fake exhaust outlets on the rear fenders.  I don't know if they were factory or dealer installed.  Push button radios and clocks were optional on the inside.  I'll try to remember/find more on other options.  My car was the cheapest wagon built in 58, and I was surprised to see that it had AC, powerglide and w/s washers.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

msuguydon

Hey Thanks for the response.

I am aware of the half-moon, shield type head light covers, but I swear I have seen full mirror, or full cover head lights.  

My mirror is mounted on the door.  I was not aware that exterior mirrors were a dealer installed option.  That helps explain why I have seen them on the fender and door.

enjenjo

I worked for dealers back in the early 60's As part of the franchise, they had to buy "accessory packages". These included mirrors, seat belts, tissue box covers, antennas, radios, heaters, A/C, backup lights, fog lights, and other things. The price the dealers got on these packages were very good, so when a customer ordered a car with these accessories, they would order them without, and we would install them in the shop. It was another source of profit for the dealer.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Normspeed

Quote from: "msuguydon"I am aware of the half-moon, shield type head light covers, but I swear I have seen full mirror, or full cover head lights.  

Might be committing heresy but I think JCW sells those.  They are more of a chrome film over the headlight, like a window tint material.  Come to think of it, A good tint shop could do up some reflective headlights for you.

msuguydon

Quote from: "Normspeed"
Might be committing heresy but I think JCW sells those.  They are more of a chrome film over the headlight, like a window tint material.  Come to think of it, A good tint shop could do up some reflective headlights for you.

What is the heresy?  Buying from JCW or full mirror head lights?  I need to know, I do not want to show up at the party in a Mickey Mouse when everyone else is wearing a suit and tie.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "msuguydon"

What is the heresy?  Buying from JCW or full mirror head lights?  I need to know, I do not want to show up at the party in a Mickey Mouse when everyone else is wearing a suit and tie.

I went to JCW site.... typed in 'headlight' for a search.

that brings up about 80 items.

they have the metal headlight 'hoods' & half covers.

I do  not see any mirror type head lights
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)