A little RRT survey

Started by purplepickup, November 26, 2006, 06:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the RRT format?

Nothing needs changing.  It's fine the way it is.
38 (33.9%)
I'd like to see some things different.
48 (42.9%)
I don't care either way.
26 (23.2%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: November 26, 2006, 06:05:39 PM

purplepickup

I was thinking lately about activity on the RRT and wondered if there is anything we could do to improve things.  I have a couple of ideas and wondered what kind of suggestions we might get if we asked.   If you have suggestions or opinions either way, feel free to discuss them here.

One suggestion I've got would be to expand the Index  by adding topics like "Off Topic", "Build Progress", "Hot Tech Tips", "General car talk", specific ones for engines, transmissions, suspensions, ....whatever.   Many times particularly helpful type threads get lost in the black hole when they're all on one forum.  A lot of other boards break down the topics by category like ChevyTalk or this  Teardrop Trailer forum. On those boards I notice that each forum develops it's own personality with the posts stimulating other posts and so it grows.

I know we get a lot of traffic here and maybe we could do something to encourage more people to jump in.  Many of the old timers don't post very much and some of the new guys don't stick around long.  

I was talking to Frank and he said he'd been thinking about ways to shake things up here a bit too.

Anyway, I thought I'd bring it up and see what happens.  Anyone else have any suggestions or opinions?  At least vote. :D
George

tomslik

i'll prolly never get this said right but,IF you don't"reply" right away,and it gets  2-3 posts down, it gets to not make sense (much like this).
yeah, you can "qoute" it but....
anybody understand what i'm saying?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

We need some changes.

Additional forums.

What additional forums though?

I think the tech pages should be on this main page.  Good information there like Bob's write up on brake fluid.

Off topic is needed...... with limits on the subjects
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Leon

Quote from: "purplepickup"
A lot of other boards break down the topics by category like ChevyTalk or this  Teardrop Trailer forum.
Just as long as we don't add a Dutch Oven segment  :shock:  :lol:

sirstude

Just be careful on the changes.  I have seen a couple of boards that after the changes that were made, everyone left.  The nice thing about this board is the people after all.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Charlie Chops 1940

I think a "for sale" forum and a "wanted forum" similar to the HAMB would be something to consider. The current ads area is somewhat cumbersome to use IMHO.

Maybe a tech forum - might encourage the how-to type posts.

Just a couple thoughts.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

CQQL33

It would be nice if everyone posted more information in their PROFILE.   It would be good to know who you are "talking" to.    I haven't posted much in the past due to other responcibility that took up most of my time.   I hope to improve that concern.    Basically, I like the rodding round table.

WZ JUNK

I like things the way they are.  I am comfortable, like when I am in my La Z Boy.  If you think some changes need to be made, I can adjust.  I think my fear of change comes from not knowing a lot about these machines and the works of the internet.  Right now I can post a question, comment on someones post,  and I can add a picture to a post.   As long as you do not screw up those things I am okay with whatever you do.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I have mixed emotions about changes. I've seen changes tank other boards also. I think that I may be the only member that doesn't personally know most of the members. Most of that is due to my location and the fact that I spent 20 years as a drag racer and had no time to meet anybody that I wasn't racing against. Even though you won't get 20 posts to a question, there's a good chance that the response you do get may be useful and possibly correct. There's some frivolity here but it's not excessive and the board isn't vulgar. (Read not an embarrassment to us) If the desire to change is just to increase the numbers, maybe we need to do something to let the rest of the world we're here. I watched 2 other boards I'm on double in membership in the last 2 years. I can't say that they got better, it just takes more time to scroll through the posts. Rather than change what is here, possibly offer other areas for a different demographic than the current members. As far as the off topic area: my thought is NO. I want to talk about hot rods, not religion, politics, or how something has irritated someone to no end. Not to do away with the personal interaction between members that have known each other for years. The boards that I have observed doing well stay on topic exclusively. This is MHO, nothing else. I'm satisfied with what you do here.
TEAM SMART

CruZer

I voted for change but then I couldn't think of any to suggest .
I don't post here much because I spend way too much time on the HAMB as it is.
Now I've found a snowplow site and with winter coming and the hotrod put away,I'll probably spend too much time there also.
I think the format is fine and I think if you break the subject matter into various topics,some people will not view every topic.
so why the heck did I vote for change ????? I'll shut up now......

chris spokes

8) you could open up the aussie section to all members to increase more traffic.over on ozrodders.com we have an ot section we call the pub you could also add a for sale/wanted/and an ebay section for those looking for a project,these sections are only veiwed by members so are closed to the guests and a construction and registration section would be of help to the new commer to the sport one other thing i would like to share is that we started what we beleive to be the first internet based hotrod club known as ozerodders hotrod &kustom club www.ozerodders.com anyway these are just my thoughts
he who has the most toys wins

KustomLincolnLady

Well for starters I could use a maid and cook, then I'd have more time to spend. :lol: here.

I'll give it some thought  :wink:  and get back to you

36vicky

I don't post often.  Learn more by listening.  But I think change is good.  A high school science teacher once told me - the only thing constant in nature is change.

Another thing we sometimes forget when we oppose change, is that change works both ways.  If we change something and it doesn't work out, we just change back.

You know why we don't have Mastodons in Nebraska any more - they couldn't adapt to their changing environment.  Or was it Wooly Mammoth's Change on, I'm ready.
The Vicky Henry never built, it won\'t be long now, it won\'t be long now, it won\'t be long now...  Tom G.

rustyrelics

It would be nice if everyone put more information in their PROFILE. It would be good to know who you are "talking" to.and where they are

and maybe a trader area for both comercial and non comercial adds

Mr Cool

I voted for change, but only to keep tech stuff seperate from general banter. Its much easier finding what you require that way rather than spend an hour searching for something.
As already mentioned over on ozrodders.com we have "the pub" where anything o/t goes, even the occasional "in context" swearing :wink: It is a pub after all. The threads drop off and dissappear forever after 2 weeks of no responses to the thread, so it also keeps the data base down to a respectable level too.
The usual car stuff is kept in the general section though.
I think it works very well.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.