F1 Steering Column Length??

Started by Grandadeo, November 22, 2006, 04:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandadeo

Anyone put an aftermarket steering column in their F1 truck that remembers the length you used. I'm using a Toyota 4X4 power steering box in it. As usual, I haven't had time to dig everything out and mock it up for a measurment and I want to get a column at Daytona. Anyone?? Thanks.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

enjenjo

Just did one with the same box. From the top of the wheel, to the end of the column, 31" The shaft stuck out about 1" past that. Gave just enough room for a Borgson U joint to couple them together.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Grandadeo

Thanks Frank.  So that sounds like a 30" column would work if the 30" includes the 1" of shaft sticking out, Right?  Then add the thickness of the wheel of 1 to 2" and that's about the 31" you ended up with.  Boy this is getting to be as bad as a math word  problem in school and I wasn't very good at those.  What did you use for a pitman arm?  I was going to get one from No Limit but they don't sell the Toyota box setup any more.  I'm thinking I'll have to mate the Toyota and the Ford pitman arms in some way.  Like maybe cut the Toyota splines out as a round plug and weld it into the Ford pitman arm.

Lee

enjenjo

I just got a pitman arm from no limit, not 2 months ago. If you can;t get one, turn the Toyots spline down round, weld it into a 3/4" plate pitman arm, and weld a Ford stud on the other end. I can get you the proper length. You can get the ball stud from Mac's.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

RHopper

There was a recent thread posted in ford-truck.com on this very subject. Several people have done the toyota steering box conversion, and there are kits available. Mid Fifty offers a complete kit, including steering box. As far as steering columns, early 90's Jeep Cherokee's (square body) use a GM column, 30" long, all standard GM wiring and double d shaft. More common than the van columns in junkyards, available in tilt, and with or without column shift.

Grandadeo

Frank, I ordered the pitman arm from No Limit but it was like pulling teeth.  I guess they have dropped the Toyota setup from their catalog and are not real thrilled about selling stuff that's not an easy lookup for them.  Their first question was what's the part number.  Kinda like the average parts store counter guy that asks what year car is it for.  Thanks for your suggestion to call them though.  When I talked to them at the Roadster Show in June all they wanted to do was sell me their new trick rack & pinion setup.