2001 Chevy Malibu

Started by 58 Yeoman, November 22, 2006, 01:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

My buddy bought a wrecked Malibu with 40k miles.  It was T-boned on the right side doors.  He's had it for a couple months, and has just started working on it.  In storage, he would start it every couple weeks.  Now, he's disconnected the battery, got the bad body damage cut out on the right side, and disconnected the airbag module under the right front seat.  He hooked the module back up, and the battery, but now the car won't start.  Has spark; he thinks it has shut off the fuel pump.  Anyone know how to reset it?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dave

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"My buddy bought a wrecked Malibu with 40k miles.  It was T-boned on the right side doors.  He's had it for a couple months, and has just started working on it.  In storage, he would start it every couple weeks.  Now, he's disconnected the battery, got the bad body damage cut out on the right side, and disconnected the airbag module under the right front seat.  He hooked the module back up, and the battery, but now the car won't start.  Has spark; he thinks it has shut off the fuel pump.  Anyone know how to reset it?

Beats me .. I got a 2000 ill sell him and it runs..... I hate that car . I just dont really know why :!:  :arrow:  :wink:
Dave :arrow:

tomslik

no "reset" like a ferd inertia switch.
those have a problem with ignition switches but i don't know if that your problem or not.
does it have injector pulse?
how about fuel pressure?
(you haven't SAID that it does or doesn't)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "tomslik"no "reset" like a ferd inertia switch.
those have a problem with ignition switches but i don't know if that your problem or not.
does it have injector pulse?
how about fuel pressure?
(you haven't SAID that it does or doesn't)

Not knowing much about FI, I didn't think to ask him.  I'll ask him when I see him again, probably Friday.  I'll also mention the switch problem.  Thanks for the replies.

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

is a 2001 Malibu like a newer version of a 1971 Vega?

:lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

nope, vegas were a better car;)
i liked my 72...

wife had a 74 gt wagon when i met her,never had to teach her how to check oil :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"nope, vegas were a better car ;)
i liked my 72...

wife had a 74 gt wagon when i met her,never had to teach her how to check oil :lol:

We had a 72 Vega wagon....... from Denver to Phoenix it used 11 quarts of oil.  Soon after I installed  a sbc
Tony

58 Yeoman

I had a 72 Monte Carlo w/454 that used 13 qts of oil on a trip to Baltimore, MD.  My cousing told me to install perfect circle valve stem seals, and it knocked the oil usage way back.  Haven't talked with Chet yet about the malibu problem.

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I had a 72 Monte Carlo w/454 that used 13 qts of oil on a trip to Baltimore, MD.  My cousing told me to install perfect circle valve stem seals, and it knocked the oil usage way back.  Haven't talked with Chet yet about the malibu problem.

Dang...... I owned a 73 Monte with a 454 engine.

Seems like 74 was the last year for the bbc Monte?

Need to ask Oiler on this Malibu.  I wonder if the car's computer lost it's flash programing?
Tony

oiler

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"My buddy bought a wrecked Malibu with 40k miles.  It was T-boned on the right side doors.  He's had it for a couple months, and has just started working on it.  In storage, he would start it every couple weeks.  Now, he's disconnected the battery, got the bad body damage cut out on the right side, and disconnected the airbag module under the right front seat.  He hooked the module back up, and the battery, but now the car won't start.  Has spark; he thinks it has shut off the fuel pump.  Anyone know how to reset it?
Yep see if you have fuel pressure first.
Next step is to go throught all the grounds and make sure he didn't leave or cut any off by the drivers side pillar or under the seat.
The main harness for the rear (including fuel pump) runs along the LH door sill and if he was in there working I'd take a close look at that.
Also note whether or not th antitheft light is on or off with key on.
If it's on or flashing he's triggered the passkey system
He'll likely need to get a hold of a scanner to check for any antitheft codes if none of the above doesn't pan out.

Dave

I had a Vega.. Biggest POS i ever owned. Every day the engine rattled louder when you started it. It was cool though it was the ffffffasssssssst back  :lol:
I traded it on a burban I think. :?: Or maybe i was drinking burbon when I bought it. :?:  Dam now im cornfused but I remember it was junk! :!:  :arrow:  :wink:
Dave :!:  :arrow:

58 Yeoman

I talked with Chet today, and he found the solution on the 'net.  Turn key on for 10 minutes, off for 5 seconds, repeat two more times, or a total of about 30 minutes.  Standing on one foot.  Facing east. At noon....only.

He then mentioned about the radio doing the same thing.  I'd heard of that before.  geez, I think I'll stick to old cars.

Thanks for the replies.

Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

freaking internet has everything.

:shock:
Tony