complete video of the #974

Started by WZ JUNK, November 15, 2006, 06:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Posted on utube is the complete run where Hooley and the 974 did a little spin at Bonneville 2006.  Several of us on the board were there that day.  This should take you to the video that Jim made with his helmet camera that was attached under the rear wing.  

Notice that the car got loose several times and that our seasoned and skilled driver (Hooley) was able to save the car from spinning.  When the actual spins starts he is quick on the shut and along for the ride.  He is "Just Glad to be There".

Somebody, with a quick connection, give it a try and see if the link works.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Looks good John, brings back warm memories.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

purplepickup

The last time I saw that video was on the laptop in Sumner's teardrop, shortly after the run.  It's much more exciting on a bigger screen with good speakers. :D   It gives a pretty good sense of how powerful the car is and how much it moves around out there.    But then watching the car run in person is very impressive too.

Good driving Hooley!
George

slocrow

WOW! Now I see how tough it is to drive on that salt. I like'n it to trying to run on snow covered ice. One little "oops" and you're gone. Along with too much throttle up front, it's unique.
Great video and the sound puts you right there.
How can I save a copy to my hard drive?
Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

EMSjunkie

I watched it 4 times.  :D

man, what a rush. 8)

all I gotta say to Hooley is........great big brass ones Bro :!:  :!:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

MO_JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Posted on utube is the complete run where Hooley and the 974 did a little spin at Bonneville 2006.  Several of us on the board were there that day.  This should take you to the video that Jim made with his helmet camera that was attached under the rear wing.  

Notice that the car got loose several times and that our seasoned and skilled driver (Hooley) was able to save the car from spinning.  When the actual spins starts he is quick on the shut and along for the ride.  He is "Just Glad to be There".

Somebody, with a quick connection, give it a try and see if the link works.

John
Enjoyed the video. It's Winter here tonight with a howling wind. Watching Hooley was a good escape. Sam

river1

very COOL!!

only you left out a good part :?

after the fire rescue gets there hooley says "man what a ride!!!"

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Okiedokie

Wow, that was great. Thanks for sharing. Joe

Cword

Wow, what a trip!

That's a link I had to forward to the rest of our crew.

Mike
--

claus_v

I would'nt dare to look forward too at that speed.
Amazing
Ur-quattro 83; 034 Motorsport ECU 560 Hp.

Cword

Quote from: "claus_v"I would'nt dare to look forward too at that speed.
Amazing

Hi Claus!

Welcome back!

Mike
--

Mr Cool

If the camera was attached to the rear wing, it sure shows how much the car moves around at speed. :shock:
That sure was a wild ride, how fast was he going when the "little spin" took over the run? It sure looked fast going by the mile markers flashing by.
And that engine sounds real nice too. :wink:
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Mr Cool"If the camera was attached to the rear wing, it sure shows how much the car moves around at speed. :shock:
That sure was a wild ride, how fast was he going when the "little spin" took over the run? It sure looked fast going by the mile markers flashing by.

I do not remember the exact figures but he was over 200 at the start of the spin and I think about 175 in the spin as he went through the 3 mile marker.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "Mr Cool"If the camera was attached to the rear wing, it sure shows how much the car moves around at speed. :shock:

I do not remember the exact figures but he was over 200 at the start of the spin and I think about 175 in the spin as he went through the 3 mile marker.

John

223 mph at the start of the spin.  We data log the rpm, so it is easy to see stuff like that.  At that point the TPS (throttle position sensor) showed Hooley going from 100+% WOT to zero throttle.  The spin took place over 1/2 mile.  If you look at the video you see the 1 mile marker go by and then the 2 mile marker.  Then a little later on the right side where the mile markers are you can see the 2 1/4 mile timing lights go by.  About the same distance past them the spin starts, so I think he was about at the 2 1/2 mile.  Then during the spin you see the 3 mile marker go by as John mentioned and finally he stops.  I think during the spin Glen in the timing tower said over the radio that he thought Hooley would take out the 3 mile timing lights, but he didn't  :D .

Now just to embarase Hooley a little I'll add the following :wink: .

When I originally looked at the data after the run I quit looking when he turned the motor off (during the middle of the spin he reached down and shut the fuel off to the motor, something I'm sure I wouldn't have thought about during that time period).  So when I was scrolling through the graph with the data he said keep scrolling and see what happens.  So I scrolled over further and all of a sudden the TPS was going to WOT then to zero throttle then to WOT and back to zero throttle.  It did that a couple times.  I said "what were you doing, trying to re-fire the motor".

He said "no I was pushing on the gas peddle thinking it was the brake peddle :P ".

One thing you can see from these videos is that he does really have to drive the car.  It isn't just gas to the floor and look out the windshield.

c ya,

Sum