hey spraypainters need some help

Started by nzsimon, April 17, 2004, 02:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzsimon

After much nagging I made some Carbon Fibre B piller covers to replace the manky plastic bits on the wifes Lotus Esprit (there are step by step picys on the lotus site if anyone wants the link)
Anyway now I have done hers she is selling them to everyone of her lotus friends

Heres where I need the help I am clearing them with PPG clear and no matter what I do I get little pit holes that take ages to sand out like tiny fisheyes

What am i doing wrong They come out of the mould covered in release wax then I hot soapy water them and tons of prepsol before I spray this is driving me crazy
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Jdee

Hi, have you seen this site.
http://www.fibreglast.com/
It has some good info on this.
Jdee

MrMopar64

Quote from: "nzsimon"After much nagging I made some Carbon Fibre B piller covers to replace the manky plastic bits on the wifes Lotus Esprit (there are step by step picys on the lotus site if anyone wants the link)
Anyway now I have done hers she is selling them to everyone of her lotus friends

Heres where I need the help I am clearing them with PPG clear and no matter what I do I get little pit holes that take ages to sand out like tiny fisheyes

What am i doing wrong They come out of the mould covered in release wax then I hot soapy water them and tons of prepsol before I spray this is driving me crazy

Sounds like your not getting rid of all the release agent....... have you tried wiping them down with laq thinner that might help

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Stakebed

2 things to consider, if it is a fisheye problem they make a product called fisheye eliminater which mixes in the paint and will help it flow over the spots. Another possibility is solvent popping. If the paint is applied too heavily or with insufficient flash time between coats the surface can dry before the solvents have escaped and the solvents then push through the top skin leaving behind small pock marks. Usually fisheye problems will be apparent while you are spraying. If it looks good when you are done spraying but later (like after overnight drying) has the pock marks I would suspect solvent popping as the problem. Hope this helps.

Stakebed

2 things to consider, if it is a fisheye problem they make a product called fisheye eliminater which mixes in the paint and will help it flow over the spots. Another possibility is solvent popping. If the paint is applied too heavily or with insufficient flash time between coats the surface can dry before the solvents have escaped and the solvents then push through the top skin leaving behind small pock marks. Usually fisheye problems will be apparent while you are spraying. If it looks good when you are done spraying but later (like after overnight drying) has the pock marks I would suspect solvent popping as the problem. Hope this helps.

WZ JUNK

I had a similiar problem on my van that I thought was caused by moisture and or humidity.  You can post, search or read this board for some help.   http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH