OT - Looking for a good deal on a Laptop?

Started by Carnut, November 06, 2006, 10:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

If you might be looking for a new laptop I can highly recommend this deal, it's on sale now in store.

Click here for Laptop Deal

river1

IMHO

WALMART SUCKS

later jim

yup i'm one of those
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

I like walmart.  Great prices on stuff.

compaq is not a computer I would buy.  

They are probably a fine computer , I just do not like them from chats with friends about compaq quality and warranty problems.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carnut

No problem, guess ya get what you pay for.

Now a days all perosnal computers are essentially the same, far as I'm concerned the cheaper the better.

Anyhow, just thought it was a good deal, kinda like Northern Tools and Harbor Freight stuff.

purplepickup

George, thanks for the tip.

I've seen you've been posting more here lately.  Good to see you.
George

BFS57

Hello;
Yeah, I saw the ad in the Sunday Paper. I got dressed, went to Wal Mart to find out that the sale went on at midnight and 5 minutes after the laptops were history!
I guess the early bird kicks butt! I'll keep my eyes open for a deal as I want to get a laptop for my daughter for Christmas.

Bruce

Dave

im not crazy bout the sempron chip. I do like amd better than intel i only spent a 1073.00 on mine after i got it all configured the way i wanted it. I do use it at work though so im gonna deduct as much of it as i can come tax time. Me and the irs are gonna have a go round this year :lol:
Dave

alchevy

I just recently bought this Gateway laptop from Best Buy and it was a good deal for me. Intel Centrino Duo; 1gb RAM; Windows XP Media Edition. $799

It was a better deal than buying another desktop and it's handier to use where-ever with built-in wireless.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Crosley.In.AZ

I had a need for a new laptop.  Mine is 6+ yrs old. Pent 1 at 500 mhz processor......... slower than a stock Crosley up a 4% grade in 1st gear at WOT

I have used the AMD chips....... this puter has one in it as I recall.

I do NOT understand the new ratings of speed on chips.... Duo Core or similar  names on them ... etc.  OR is it just marketing crap!?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carnut

Quote from: "Crosley"I had a need for a new laptop.  Mine is 6+ yrs old. Pent 1 at 500 mhz processor......... slower than a stock Crosley up a 4% grade in 1st gear at WOT

I have used the AMD chips....... this puter has one in it as I recall.

I do NOT understand the new ratings of speed on chips.... Duo Core or similar  names on them ... etc.  OR is it just marketing crap!?

Well, my last Intel chip was in my IBM XT.

AMD are very good chips.

Now a days all computers are good and fast enough.

So pick the features you want, keyboard you like, DVD writer, WIFI, more memory the better and bigger the harddrive the better.

And now a days most all laptops come with the WXGA 1200/800 screen on them. Fraid I very much dislike those, I'm still old fashioned and much prefer the old style XGA 1024/768 screen which are getting quite rare.

I am currently running my websites on two AMD 64 bit notebook web servers running Ubuntu Linux, so you can tell I like AMD chips and usually AMD chip machines are cheaper than Pentium/Intel chip machines for similar performance.

Carnut

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Yeah, I saw the ad in the Sunday Paper. I got dressed, went to Wal Mart to find out that the sale went on at midnight and 5 minutes after the laptops were history!
I guess the early bird kicks butt! I'll keep my eyes open for a deal as I want to get a laptop for my daughter for Christmas.

Bruce

I did the same thing last Thanksgiving Friday sale, got up early and was inline at my Wal Mart to find out the $398 deal that day was sold out before I got there.

Supposedly from the info I've read the current $398 deal is more than a sale and should last at least until Thanksgiving when a rumored $198 laptop will go.

river1

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-34,GGLJ:en&q=black+friday

or just google "black friday" will get you all the upcoming deals for after turkey day.  

on a related note they made us sign a nondisclosure statement for the ads that are on premises at work (a newspaper). they don't have to worry about me tho i think the ads are leaked before they get to us.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Carnut

Looks like the previously posted WalMart deal is no longer listed.

Here's the currently listed good deal from WalMart:

Laptop Deal From WalMart

It's a Toshiba and seems to have everything I would want in a laptop.

I currently have a Toshiba laptop that I bought refurbished and so far it is doing well.

Now ya do know on Black Friday there will be laptops available in the $200/$300 range if you are lucky enough to be first in line to get one.

Also between now and Christmas there will be sale deals in the $400/$500 range, all of which will be worth getting if you can get one.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Since this thread has some of our wise computer gurus' attention, what are your opinions on the Dell E1505.  I can get it for $749.  I've been very happy with my Dell desktop and I really want a laptop for traveling.  The Walmart pricing looks great but I just don't know. :?
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

alchevy

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"what are your opinions on the Dell E1505.:?

It looks like a good laptop computer to me. If I hadn't bought this one, that would of been a good choice.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com