4 post lift

Started by uncleaud, November 02, 2006, 10:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncleaud

I'm in the market for a 4 post lift for my garage. They all seem to be about the same dollars give or take and according to the ads they are all the best. Anybody on here have one that they like or don't like. Just doing a little consumer survey. Thanks for any input

1FATGMC

Quote from: "uncleaud"I'm in the market for a 4 post lift for my garage. They all seem to be about the same dollars give or take and according to the ads they are all the best. Anybody on here have one that they like or don't like. Just doing a little consumer survey. Thanks for any input

I love my 2 post and personally wouldn't have a 4 post if it was the only lift I had for most situations.

I got my flack jacket on and can take it guys, so let loose 8) .

c ya,

Sum

348tripower

I have both and they have their individual uses. The four post is a perfect park.
Don
Don Colliau

Rashy

Something to consider that I never thought of until I tried to use my buddies two post lift,,,

We could not pick a 59 Chevy with it because there was no way to get the pads in far enough to catch the X-frame.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Rashy"Something to consider that I never thought of until I tried to use my buddies two post lift,,,

We could not pick a 59 Chevy with it because there was no way to get the pads in far enough to catch the X-frame.

Something tells me that I know you.  Do not be afraid, tell these guys something about yourself.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

tomslik

hey sum, how thick is your floor?
i THINK mines only 4"( shut up, cros) so i don't think i could use a 2 post.
btw, they kinda suck if you have running boards or a real narrow frame....

hey rashy, you from the hamb? :shock:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Tony says 4" is optimistic, that's why you have a Harley. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

Mine is a 4 post Backyard Buddy that I got a good deal on after sharing a few beers with the owner of the company.  It's good quality but I've looked at other brands that look like they're built well too and they're less expensive.  

After seeing Sumner's two post in action I can see the advantages.  It takes up less space and lifts from the frame so you have the suspension, brakes, wheels & tires free to work on.  Plus it makes into a pretty good beer holder and table   ....but a 4 post could hold some beer and food too. :D  :b-d:

I picked a 4 post because my ceiling in my shop is only 9 feet and I didn't have room to install the posts for a 2 post.  Plus with the caster package I have the ability to roll the lift out into the driveway to work on things at full height.  In the shop I can only raise a car about 5', so I work from a roll-around office chair.  It's actually very comfortable.  Since most everything in my shop is on wheels I can change the layout to accommodate most any type of project I'm working on.  When I'm not using the lift I can move it out of the way and push saws, welders, tables, etc under it to open up floor space too.
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"hey sum, how thick is your floor?
i THINK mines only 4"( shut up, cros) so i don't think i could use a 2 post.
btw, they kinda suck if you have running boards or a real narrow frame....

hey rashy, you from the hamb? :shock:

They will work with 4" and I wouldn't be afraid of that with good concrete.  Since I knew where mine was going to be I made the floor 6 inches there and threw in some re-bar, but I think that is overkill.  The Bend Pak I have has a really large base at the bottom of the posts and I personally think since it is a "free floor", cable at the top, that that top cross member has to add some strength to it from wanting to come in at the top under load.

I got the "wide" model and like it as car doors open further and if there is a vehicle in the space it is easier to walk between the posts and the vehicle.

Mine has long arms and the Jeep has the frame in quite a bit and I can lift it no problem.  My truck is low and the running boards don't present a problem.  I put a 2 X 4 on the lift pad with my pickup and that way it starts lifting the truck right away and the arms don't hit the running boards.

Like George mentioned it seems like a lot of the work we do involves pulling wheels, suspension, brakes, etc. and lifting from the frame saves having to put jack bottles around on the car like you have to on the 4 post.  And also like he said when it is not in use it takes up only a few square feet of shop space.  If you lift a car a little ways you don't have near as much of the lift in your way as you do with a 4 post.

When you are building the car you can start with just the chassis on the lift and build from there.  A year ago I converted a '73 Chevy pickup into a trailer.  I had the truck up and down a number of times getting the cab loose.  Then I lifted the cab off the frame with the lift and kept it up in the air.  Next I cut the front of the frame off and made the trailer tongue.  When it was done I lowered the cab back onto the new trailer and hauled it away.

I'm building a 383 now and when I got the motor back from the machinest it was in the back of my pickup.  I put a piece of plywood on the lift (like in George's picture and thanks to Benny for the idea) and raised the lift even with the back of the pickup.  Then I slid the block onto the plywood on the lift.  Next I took the engine stand over and positioned the lift at the right height and bolted the block to the stand and rolled it away.  This type of help is great when you get old.  I've also worked on transmissions and the lawn mower by lowering the lift to the floor and dragging them on and then raising them to a good work height.  I use it as a adjustable height work bench all the time like now when I'm building this motor and it is great to get sheets of plywood up in the air to easily cut.

The 2 post is just so versitile and you will find yourself using it for things you never thought of.  The only place I can see an advantage to the 4 post is that you can drive on it quicker for oil changes.  Don't forget you can store a vehicle on a 2 post also.  The other advantage is if you have the room you could push the 4 post outside or somewhere, but I wonder how many actually do this.  Also this adds a fair amount to the price.

Some of the lifts I see out there seem pretty skimpy on the materials.  The posts on mine are a lot larger than some of the ones I've seen and be real picky about the safety locks and such and the lift mechanism especially when picking out a 4 post.  For something you will have for so long and will be working out I wouldn't let a couple hundred dollars stop you from getting something you fell good about and that you know that will be supported in the future (there are wear parts on these).

I got my Bend Pak from this guy:

http://www.e-autolifts.com/twopostble.html

It is now $2365 for the 10,000 lb. wide 2 post "center load" and that is delivered to you for that price.  I had no problems dealing with this guy.

I went with the 10,000 lb. as it was just a little more and I wanted to feel good lifting Julie's truck with the camper on it.

One last thing, if you get a 2 post you normally have to figure if you want a "center load" or an "Asymmetric load" type.  Most people I talked to recommended the center load for older vehicles and pickups and the asymmetric for newer cars.  The center load makes it a little harder to open the car's door, but if you go with the wide version then you are in good shape there.

Ok, one more last thing.  If you are doing new construction you have to think about lift height.  My shop has 10 foot ceilings for most of the shop and 12 foot in the lift area.  I did this to keep the house looking better from the outside and so I wouldn't have as much space to cool and heat.

The "clear floor" Bend Pac with the top bar requires an inch or so over 12 feet.  I knew where my lift was going so I notched the ceiling there for one post and raised the ceiling a little more between two of the trusses for clearance on the top crossmember.  The trusses where the lift are, are a "stepped" truss to gain 2 feet more ceiling clearance and were actually a few dollars cheaper than the flat ones.

Oh yea, did I tell you the 4 inch floor would work 8) ,

Sum

DJ

I have a two post also, the only down side was that I had to knock out the floor in my shop where the hoist was going and pour a thicker pad. I hired it done because I didn't trust myself to get the bolts in the concrete precise enough so the hoist  would slide down over them. I bought my hoist used from my brother-in-law ( he has his own mecanic's shop ) so I knew the hoist, I'd be leary of used unless you knew who owned it. Worth every penny, no more crawling under cars.  Good Luck!!

1FATGMC

Fat Cat something strange is happening here.  I posted my post after Geroge and it went in up higher (at least on my computer).  Then DJ's post is after mine and it is higher up also.

I know this is a thread on lifts, but to lift us up there ahead of who we were responding to is strange.  Did you use a 2 post or 4 post to do this to us :shock: ,

Sum

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"Mine is a 4 post Backyard Buddy that I got a good deal on after sharing a few beers with the owner of the company.  It's good quality but I've looked at other brands that look like they're built well too and they're less expensive.  

After seeing Sumner's two post in action I can see the advantages.  It takes up less space and lifts from the frame so you have the suspension, brakes, wheels & tires free to work on.  Plus it makes into a pretty good beer holder and table   ....but a 4 post could hold some beer and food too. :D  :b-d:

I picked a 4 post because my ceiling in my shop is only 9 feet and I didn't have room to install the posts for a 2 post.  Plus with the caster package I have the ability to roll the lift out into the driveway to work on things at full height.  In the shop I can only raise a car about 5', so I work from a roll-around office chair.  It's actually very comfortable.  Since most everything in my shop is on wheels I can change the layout to accommodate most any type of project I'm working on.  When I'm not using the lift I can move it out of the way and push saws, welders, tables, etc under it to open up floor space too.

Ive got a place for my food and beer.. (actually i drink gin and tonic) but ive got in way over my head with these dam cars and im thinking of adding on to mu garage. I think 24x24 on the back and 12 feet high  so i can get a hoist..
Dave :arrow:

Crosley.In.AZ

ya know........ the goof'd up post timing makes for interesting reading.

:lol:

My hoist required 3,000 psi concrete and 4 inches thick was fine.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Rashy

Yep,

I'm Rashy from the HAMB.

I could have sworn I did an intro when I signed up but I guess not.

Dave

Quote from: "Rashy"Yep,

I'm Rashy from the HAMB.

I could have sworn I did an intro when I signed up but I guess not.

as far as i know and ive been here quite a while we dont have any intro police here  But  if you want to feel at home then ill help..
Do an Intro !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

oh ya............ welcome