hey blksheep

Started by tomslik, October 31, 2006, 05:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

QuoteI like a frame mounted alum finned tube cooler. I can't understand the theory of running trans lines into a radiator thats full of 180 degree coolant to cool my transmission. Seems to me that the radiator is nothing more than a 180 degree preheater. Anyway, my tube cooler works great and I ain't gotta deal with any ugly 5/16" hard lines running up to the rad.

and;
QuoteThe 700R4 has a super low 1st gear and will really help launch your 3100 lb. mopar. However, mine seems to be building an excessive amount of internal pressure at hwy speeds and often pukes out the overflow. This condition also puts a lot of pressure on the rear seal (new) and pan gasket (new) and puddles my garage floor after its been run.

tells me you need to run ugly 5/16 line and run a cooler out in the airstream.

i tried mounting a cooler back by the trans on my old COE and it did NOT get enough airflow ....
mounted one in front of the radiator and all my puking was gone.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

blksheep

tomslik...................

My trans cooler is mounted on the outside frame rail, directly in the air flow when goin down the road. It's also connected to the trans with 30 inchs of braided stainless #6 hose (3/8") in and out. After in-traffic driving, you can literally put your hand on the cooler and the temp appears to be bout 120 degrees. This excessive internal pressure seems to be building after a hard draw, like kickin it down to third to pass, or holdin it in third and runnin about 2500 to 3000 rpms. Whatever it is, it is blowin from the right side of the trans, on to the exhaust and that of course, bellows a nice little white cloud. Which looks and smells like he#*.
Thanks for your thoughts.........

blksheep...South Eastern Highway Used Transmission Fluid Distributor...in Charlotte

slocrow

I know somebody here had a cracked fitting at the pressure switch tapped port on that right side. The trans only spit out that port when in overdrive. Also I believe that an over filled condition will cause fluid to dump out that top vent tube. Depending on the dip stick, some are very hard to read. Just a couple of thoughts that may not apply. Good luck.......Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Godzilla

I am no transmission expert by any means...but I understand a little about how they work.  The vent tube and pan gaskets that you mentioned I believe are in a low pressure area in the transmission, where the fluid returns.  The only area that I am aware of that is down low where there is pressure is at the governor.  I think there are some o rings in there and a piston that moves in and out with road speed.  I guess I am wondering if at speed the governor could be leaking when the piston changes lcoation.  Good luck...I hope you find you leak.
The way it was is the way it should be

Crosley.In.AZ

A trans cooler that is an air to liquid heat exchanger  , must have adequate air flow to cool the fluid.

IMHO these circular finned coolers that flush mount to the frame are better suited for paper weights
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)