200 r4 Transmission

Started by Learpilot, October 30, 2006, 11:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I was thinking about going OD. I have a TH350 that works good but would like the lower rpm of OD. The info I have so far is the 200 r4 would just about bolt in with little modification. I know I will need to move the rear motor mount back about 6", after that I don't know much. What years to avoid ?  The local Bone yards are selling them for $250 to$350. Would you recommend it to be rebuild first ? How about any electrical hook ups that are needed to make the Trans work ? Is it strong enough for my 36 Dodge that weighs  3100 # with a almost stock 355 SBC. I have a 350/350 hp cam with a Road Demon (625 CFM). Right now I have a 8" Ford rear end with 3.00 gears. Would these gears work OK ?  
Thanks for all your Info !!!

1FATGMC

You can find the answer to some of your questions (  HERE ).

How fast do you drive??  The 3.00 is getting pretty high.  I put a 200R4 in a '78 Buick I have that probably has 2.73 gears and it doesn't get into OD until 65 and unless I'm running 75-80 on the interstate it will get the same mileage in 3rd.

3.50 to 3.73 gears are really nice for one of these.  Tony might be able to tell you the good years.  I don't know what year mine is.  Hooley gave it to me when the original transmission died going to Missouri.

My truck has 28 inch tires and a 3.50 rear gear and I love that combination with the 700R4 in it.  If we keep the Buick I would like to look for a different rear for it.

c ya,

Sum

blksheep

www.ring-pinion.com    and click calculator on the left. Then enter your info,,trans, tire diameter,rear gear and it will calculate the RPMs your will be running and any speed you choose.
My 350/700r4 with a 3:50 gear and a 27" tire runs 1900 RPMs at 60 mph and delivers 21 mpg.
The 700R4 has a super low 1st gear and will really help launch your 3100 lb. mopar. However, mine seems to be building an excessive amount of internal pressure at hwy speeds and often pukes out the overflow. This condition also puts a lot of pressure on the rear seal (new) and pan gasket (new) and puddles my garage floor after its been run.

Any ideas on this problem Crosley??

blksheep...puddle mopper...in Charlotte

Learpilot

Quote from: "blksheep"www.ring-pinion.com    and click calculator on the left. Then enter your info,,trans, tire diameter,rear gear and it will calculate the RPMs your will be running and any speed you choose.
My 350/700r4 with a 3:50 gear and a 27" tire runs 1900 RPMs at 60 mph and delivers 21 mpg.
The 700R4 has a super low 1st gear and will really help launch your 3100 lb. mopar. However, mine seems to be building an excessive amount of internal pressure at hwy speeds and often pukes out the overflow. This condition also puts a lot of pressure on the rear seal (new) and pan gasket (new) and puddles my garage floor after its been run.

Thanks for all the info, this helps a lot !!!

Learpilot

Quote from: "Learpilot"
Quote from: "blksheep"www.ring-pinion.com    and click calculator on the left. Then enter your info,,trans, tire diameter,rear gear and it will calculate the RPMs your will be running and any speed you choose.  

Thanks for all the info, this helps a lot !!!
One more question. I have #6 braided steel lines trans cooler lines. Are the 200 r4 fittings standard pipe fittings or metric ? If so where can I get adaptors ?
Thanks !!!

blksheep

The 700R4 is NPT.   I don't know about a 200r. If it were me, I would try a brass NPT fitting first and quit at the first sign of moderate resistance. Or, a quick call to your local trans rebuild shop could get you an anwser.

Good luck...........

blksheep...speedy dry speader supereme...in Charlotte

Fat Cat

Yea we also have that same calculator here on the RRT it can be found in the tech section. http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/calc1.html

Crosley.In.AZ

use red locktite and run the fittings in with an impact gun.

puking fluid on any tranny is usually two things........ over heating or over full.

IF you have leaking pan gasket , it ain't from pressure inside the tranny if it pukes fluid out the vent...... the tranny is too hot or over full or the pan gasket is crap with a bent pan........ IMHO
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)