Master Cly prob.

Started by Daveyboy, October 27, 2006, 04:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveyboy

Ok My frame came with a Master Cly and peadle assambly welded on. But my prob is that it sits about 1/2 to 3/4 inch up in to the body. I cant put a cover on it. It is a ford master cly singel bail type.
Can i cut the top 1/2 inch and then reweld it up  and rebend the bail? do they make a flater topthen this?
What can i do?
thanks again Dave

Dave

Quote from: "Daveyboy"Ok My frame came with a Master Cly and peadle assambly welded on. But my prob is that it sits about 1/2 to 3/4 inch up in to the body. I cant put a cover on it. It is a ford master cly singel bail type.
Can i cut the top 1/2 inch and then reweld it up  and rebend the bail? do they make a flater topthen this?
What can i do?
thanks again Dave

Why a single M/C ? a duaql is a lot saver and should clear no problem.
what are you running for brakes ? Disk Drum .
Dave...

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Daveyboy"Ok My frame came with a Master Cly and peadle assambly welded on. But my prob is that it sits about 1/2 to 3/4 inch up in to the body. I cant put a cover on it. It is a ford master cly singel bail type.
What can i do?
thanks again Dave

I may need some more information about your problem.  I think you are saying that the reservoir cover is sticking up above the floor of you car. If this is so, I would make a cover for this area and leave the master cylinder alone.  I usually make one out of fiberglass when I have similar problems. I would build a mold in the car out of foam, paper,cardboard...that would cover the master cylinder area and one that would extend our over the hole in the floor in this area.  Cover the plug mold with plastic kitchen wrap and then lay up the glass on top.  After the fiberglass cures, trim it to the shape that will cover your master cylinder and seal the hole in the floor.  When the upholstery is made for the car, they will use insulation or padding to level the floor and the cover should not be noticeable.

If I did not understand your problem or you are confused by my answer, PM me or post again.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Dave

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
What can i do?
thanks again Dave

I may need some more information about your problem.  I think you are saying that the reservoir cover is sticking up above the floor of you car. If this is so, I would make a cover for this area and leave the master cylinder alone.  I usually make one out of fiberglass when I have similar problems. I would build a mold in the car out of foam, paper,cardboard...that would cover the master cylinder area and one that would extend our over the hole in the floor in this area.  Cover the plug mold with plastic kitchen wrap and then lay up the glass on top.  After the fiberglass cures, trim it to the shape that will cover your master cylinder and seal the hole in the floor.  When the upholstery is made for the car, they will use insulation or padding to level the floor and the cover should not be noticeable.

If I did not understand your problem or you are confused by my answer, PM me or post again.

John

Well John Im not satisfied wiith the single master cylinder deal . I dont think they are safe. I like you dont understand all of the problem with the m/c sticking thru the floor, single or dual. The only thing that could be different is the floor in his car. Im assuming the frame was done like all other 32 frames and the m/c mount should be in the proper place but of course it may not be.... Davey how bout some pics.
Dave

GPster

Your question is confusing and I think I understand parts of it but you'd better be sure of the whole system first. My memory doesn't  recognize any Ford single master cylinders that have a bail fastener on the top. The newest Ford single master cylinders I think were the "fruit jar" variety so I'm thinking that it is a dual master cylinder with the rectangular lid and the wire bail that holds the lid down from one end to the other. I would suggest that you find out exactly what master cylinder it is and if it is correct with the brakes you will use, drum/drum, disc/drum, disc/disc, or drum/disc. Because of the rubber diaphram between the master cylinder and the lid and the tension built into the bail I would not suggst any modification to those parts. Because it would be hard checking fluid levels in the master cylinder laying on your back with mirrors I would go with some kind of hole in the floor as suggested large enough to flip the bail over and pick the lid off. I'd be real careful about any modifications to the pedal assembley because you might mess up the position of the pedal in the floor or loose the proper ratio of pedal movement -to- master cylinder movement. Now 2 additional suggestions. 1:make a new mount for the master cylinder that is inline with the master cylinder mount on the pedal assembley. Make a longer rod to work  from the pedal to this new position of the master cylinder. Maybe you could put the cylinder check/fill hole in the floor under the seat. or 2: Somebody is making remote fill reservoirs for some master cylinders. See if your's is one and replace the cover on yours with this kit and put the reservoir where you can see it. GPster

I beleive he's referencing a single bail,not M/C in his original post.I would certainly consider a remote fill as Joe suggests.....I have used a couple different ones,I like the one from Chassis Engineering best.This not only makes it much easier to fill but also adds gravity pressure to the system as it gets the fluid above the wheel cylinders.Good Luck!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

58 Yeoman

Didn't Ford have a round mc with a bail on top?  I think these were after the screw on 'fruit jar' lids?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dave

Quote from: "40"I beleive he's referencing a single bail,not M/C in his original post.I would certainly consider a remote fill as Joe suggests.....I have used a couple different ones,I like the one from Chassis Engineering best.This not only makes it much easier to fill but also adds gravity pressure to the system as it gets the fluid above the wheel cylinders.Good Luck!

Duhhhhhhhhhhhh ok im an idiot., I sure read that wrong...
Im going out to shoot my self now :oops:  :oops:
Dave :arrow:

GPster

Quote from: "jusjunk"Duhhhhhhhhhhhh ok im an idiot., I sure read that wrong...Im going out to shoot my self now :oops:  :oops:
It's OK. I practise making hard to understand questions so I can read them. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "jusjunk"Duhhhhhhhhhhhh ok im an idiot., I sure read that wrong...Im going out to shoot my self now :oops:  :oops:
It's OK. I practise making hard to understand questions so I can read them. GPster

Joe your my hero.............. :wink:

Daveyboy

OK it looks like i will have to build up the floor 1/2 inch.
I did not want to do that but i guess that is the way to go.
So off to the shop and get the Glas out and the smell in the shop. AHHHH friberglass smell (what brain cells)
Dave