O/T work in your area/State

Started by Dave, October 25, 2006, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Im thinking..
Warmer climate.. new job????
Started as a tool maker at age 15. Now a machine builder programmer repairman???????????? anything going on in your area?   I may put all my stuff up for sale and do the move.. Ok im keeping the Harley
Dave :wink:

donsrods

Dave:  I can only speak for Florida.  We moved here for the same reasons..........got tired of freezing 8 months out of the year.  I have never regretted it in that respect. But Florida is a tough State to make a living in. We have pretty much zero manufacturing here, and our economy is pretty much tourist based.  In one way or another, every business is supported by the snowbirds who come here in the winter, and the tourist industry.

Generally, the pay scale here is lower that in the Northern climates, and this has gotten worse since all of the people from Latin American countries have started filling up the State. Also, Retirees will work for minimum wage to suppliment their incomes, so that is what employers seek out.

Are there people here who are making money?  Absolutely. But for every one of them, there are 5 or 10 who are not making good money.  This is not to paint a negative picture, as I still like it here, and it is just my opinion.

Don

EMSjunkie

Depending upon what you want to do........... there are several places down in this neck of the woods.

Bell Helicopter just got a new juicy Government contract to build the
Presidents helicopters "Marine One" here in Amarillo.
they also build the Osprey Tilt-Rotor airplane here.

Wind energy is booming here right now. there are wind generator farms sprouting up all around the Texas panhandle.

south and east of here is growing too.
it gets more humid the further south and east you go.
I don't like humid :x

Amarillo Gear is looking for machinists, they build irrigation well drive heads. ship them all over the world.

come on down Bro 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Depending upon what you want to do........... there are several places down in this neck of the woods.

Bell Helicopter just got a new juicy Government contract to build the
Presidents helicopters "Marine One" here in Amarillo.
they also build the Osprey Tilt-Rotor airplane here.

Wind energy is booming here right now. there are wind generator farms sprouting up all around the Texas panhandle.

south and east of here is growing too.
it gets more humid the further south and east you go.
I don't like humid :x

Amarillo Gear is looking for machinists, they build irrigation well drive heads. ship them all over the world.

come on down Bro 8)

Vance

Thanks guys.. Sue is intent on moving to Ft Wayne? Still snows there. Were discussing it...
Dave
ps: new nick  :!:  :arrow:  :wink:

1FATGMC

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Depending upon what you want to do.....

........Wind energy is booming here right now. there are wind generator farms sprouting up all around the Texas panhandle.........

...........Vance

I can see why.  That is one windy place 8)  and one of the places I can count on snow between Utah and Missouri :cry:, but there is a Hooters there  :D .

Vance I should be through there sometime in the next couple months, maybe before Thanksgiving.  I'll PM you when I do if you still want to see me after I ragged on Armadillo,

Sum

jaybee

Think I know how you feel, just yesterday my wife and I were having a conversation about how much we hate winter, but we live in Iowa.  Surprisingly enough this state is one of the most dependent upon manufacturing although even most of us who live here think of it as mostly being cows and corn.  Pretty slow here.  The Maytag corporate headquarters and flagship plant are shutting down due to being bought out by Whirlpool, and an Electrolux plant is being moved to Mexico.  Smaller suppliers will suffer as a result.

Things seem to be pretty soft in trucking right now which means the whole economy is on the slow side.  We're seeing it at my company and all my contacts at other companies are saying the same thing.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dave

Quote from: "jaybee"Think I know how you feel, just yesterday my wife and I were having a conversation about how much we hate winter, but we live in Iowa.  Surprisingly enough this state is one of the most dependent upon manufacturing although even most of us who live here think of it as mostly being cows and corn.  Pretty slow here.  The Maytag corporate headquarters and flagship plant are shutting down due to being bought out by Whirlpool, and an Electrolux plant is being moved to Mexico.  Smaller suppliers will suffer as a result.

Things seem to be pretty soft in trucking right now which means the whole economy is on the slow side.  We're seeing it at my company and all my contacts at other companies are saying the same thing.

Well Michigan is the same way.. I heard that most states cept michigan that arent into manufacturing are booming  :?:  Our economy sucks and so does the job market. Ive got more than one reason to relocate but ive still got 2 boys here although grown up I wouldnt leave em out to dry so to speak. I just cant take the politics where im at (that will prolly get back to the plant) and the childish behavior. Were looking for a Job for sue in quality control and believe it or not im gonna watch the grand daughter and work on hot rods! I may even go as far as becomming a late night petroleum transfer engenier (spelling)? Yup folks 7-11 here i come Ill get yiu gas and a coke caine............. :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :D
Dave

imwalkin

Reatheon missle here in Tucson Az .. Ride that Harley nearly all year long. I love Az (well execpt the phoenix area) great weather. No snow down south .

35WINDOW

There's not a lot of Manufacturing jobs here, but there are a lot of Jobs (western Colorado around Aspen)-we are always looking for people and the Classified section of the local small town Paper) is now 10 pages

sirstude

I think you ought to give us a chance up here in Montana.  We are LOTS warmer than you are in the winter.  It is up to a BALMY 24 degrees from 2 above this morning when I came to work.  
We do have ONE good manufacturing outfit here .  Their name is Summit engineering and they build parts for Boeing among others.  They have a mill with a 145 foot table and that is the little one, the other is over 300 feet long.

Doug  :wink:  :wink:
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

blksheep

Here in Charlotte, we can cruise 4 to 5 time a week, 8 months of the year. There are 4 dirt tracks within an hour of us, not to mention the"Dirt Track" at Lowes motor Speedway, Good Guys fall event, 2 major Nascar events, the spring and fall Lowes Auto Fair, at least a dozen street rod shops, the Legends series racing at the speedway all summer, 4 or 5 Large Harley shops within 20 miles, 30 to 50 Nascar race shops, who are constantly looking for machinist, fabricators and mechanics, not to mention, the largest mecca for America's banking industry in the country. Oh,...did I mention that our annual snow fall won't cover the green of your plush, green grass. ANNNND, I haven't worn a long sleeve shirt in 8 months.
It's not perfect,...but it deserves a good look.

blksheep...Nothing could be finer 8) ...in Charlotte

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Depending upon what you want to do.....

........Wind energy is booming here right now. there are wind generator farms sprouting up all around the Texas panhandle.........

...........Vance

I can see why.  That is one windy place 8)  and one of the places I can count on snow between Utah and Missouri :cry:, but there is a Hooters there  :D .

Vance I should be through there sometime in the next couple months, maybe before Thanksgiving.  I'll PM you when I do if you still want to see me after I ragged on Armadillo,

Sum

Of course I do Sum :!:  :!:

I don't mind ya raggin' on Amarillo :lol:
lemme know when ya get headed this way 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****