Pinion angle help

Started by Ornberg, October 23, 2006, 04:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ornberg

I need some advice about my pinion angle.
Sorry for the lowtech drawing :)  The transmission is tilted down 4 degree and the pinion 1 degree down. The drive shaft is 1 degree up from the pinion. The reason I asked is because I have some noise in my u-joint and I adjust the angle to this setup and the noise disappear, but what do you say about this setup? Can I go with this without ruin my u-joint?
Any help appreciated
Per.

sirstude

Per,

The way I was always taught, is the pinion angle should be opposite the tailshaft angle, so that they are paralell.  The pinion should be up 4 degrees.  This is mostly for vibration, not u-joint life.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Fat Cat

There is some info posted here http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/driveline.html that gives some explainations. I am sure that Peter R will chime in when he sees this.

Ornberg

Thanks Guys for the info.
I forget to ad that I have a adjustable triangulated 4-link with rubber bushings and I tilted the pinion upwards 4 degree so total is now trans –4 and pinion is +3 degree, so that's a 1 degree down for pinion movement when acceleration.  Did it sounds right to you?

Per

Godzilla

I have always been taught that you want a difference of between 1 and 1 1/2 degrees.  I searched this on the internet recently and the experts, like Moser don't agree.

I have learned the hard way that if the pinion is below the output shaft...that the drive shaft will move toward the trans under acceleration (squat).  I broke a tail shaft when the driveshaft didn't have enough travel.  Good luck..........
The way it was is the way it should be