Tranny Coolers

Started by midnight sun, October 23, 2006, 11:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

I think we have had some discussions on this before but my short memory doesent recall it soooo.....

Just curious on opinions on installing a tranny cooler on my 47 Ford coupe ( or on any car for that matter.)  It has a Walker radiator with the built in condensor for the A/C.  Some opinions around here are that since the lines go into the bottom of the radiator for cooling that adding another cooler is just overkill.  Other opinions are that it is a heavy car and may need one especially around here because of the mountainous terrain.

TIA
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Dave

Quote from: "midnight sun"I think we have had some discussions on this before but my short memory doesent recall it soooo.....

Just curious on opinions on installing a tranny cooler on my 47 Ford coupe ( or on any car for that matter.)  It has a Walker radiator with the built in condensor for the A/C.  Some opinions around here are that since the lines go into the bottom of the radiator for cooling that adding another cooler is just overkill.  Other opinions are that it is a heavy car and may need one especially around here because of the mountainous terrain.

TIA

Ive got a b&m on my coupe and nothing else. I just ran the tank cooler on the walker with my 34 and no problems either way.
Dave :!:  :arrow:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "midnight sun"I think we have had some discussions on this before but my short memory doesent recall it soooo.....

TIA

I like to use the one in the radiator when ever possible.  I figure the factory knew what there were doing when the OEM designed the system to work that way.  I have not liked the aluminium type that you see mounted to the frame rails and under the car but some people use these without any problems.  If you plan to tow with the car or you are driving in the mountains a lot or in a hot area maybe an additional cooler mounted in front of the radiator is a good idea.  Tony should be able to give you some good advise on this.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Godzilla

I personally wouldn't worry about running a trans cooler in the radiator unless you have a marginal cooling problem with your engine.  I have run all kinds and makes of remote coolers, I have been using frame mounted coolers recently, and have never had a problem with one if it is mounted where it gets air and is protected from road debris.....good luck
The way it was is the way it should be

blksheep

I like a frame mounted alum finned tube cooler. I can't understand the theory of running trans lines into a radiator thats full of 180 degree coolant to cool my transmission. Seems to me that the radiator is nothing more than a 180 degree preheater. Anyway, my tube cooler works great and I ain't gotta deal with any ugly 5/16" hard lines running up to the rad.

blksheep...cheap opinions offered often...in Charlotte

donsrods

Living in Florida, I like to get rid of as much heat as possible, so I separate the engine and transmission cooling.  I run a separate frame mount cooler for the tranny.  For the first time we are trying the round shaped ones and bought a double pass unit for my Kids '29.  Haven't had the car running yet, so can't comment, but had a very long conversation with the manufacturer at Daytona a couple years ago, and he seemed to know his cooling theory. He convinced us that it makes no sense to run your tranny into the radiator. Said you are not only subjecting the tranny to preheated water, but are also heating up the radiator water more,  Made sense to me.

A am going to run the same unit on my T, but mount it right under the crank pulley to get maximum air flow.  I have run a front mounted unit on my 5.0 powered Jeep truck for 5 years with no problems.

Don

slocrow

You know, admittedly I might be incorrect but after investigating the trans cooler question and the radiator vs a separate or incorporated hang on unit, it's my belief that calling the radiator section, that the tranny lines attach to and utilize, a cooler, is a misnomer at best and a fluid warmer by design.
I believe that OEM's originally ran these lines up to the radiator to facilitate warming the trans fluid, for better operation in Northern Winter climates.

My friends, with fluid temp gauges, say when prompted that their fluid temp normally runs in the 140 to 160 degree range. Only when towing or running mountainous switchbacks, at low speeds does the temp climb towards the 200 range.

If my memory is correct on these numbers then you'd actually be heating the fluid by sending it to the radiator, under normal conditions.

Now if I can just find a place for my 8X12 hang on with it's own aux fan, under the no room 32, I'll feel safer then with only that 4X10 I have now.............Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "slocrow"
...it's my belief that calling the radiator section, that the tranny lines attach to and utilize, a cooler, is a misnomer at best and a fluid warmer by design.
I believe that OEM's originally ran these lines up to the radiator to facilitate warming the trans fluid, for better operation in Northern Winter climates.

My friends, with fluid temp gauges, say when prompted that their fluid temp normally runs in the 140 to 160 degree range. Only when towing or running mountainous switchbacks, at low speeds does the temp climb towards the 200 range.

If my memory is correct on these numbers then you'd actually be heating the fluid by sending it to the radiator, under normal conditions.
.............Frank

I guess a lot depends on whether the Trans fluid is hotter or colder than the coolant.

It stands to reason that the bottom tank of the radiator would have the lowest coolant temp.  

Since most of our coolant temp readings are sensed at the cylinder head or near the thermostat, we must assume that the coolant temp after passing through the radiator is significantly lower than our temp gauges indicate.  

Does anyone know what a typical temp drop across the radiator is?

Where's Steve Jack when you need him?  :D

Perhaps, the coolant adds heat to the ATF in cold conditions, but ALSO cools the ATF when the trans fluid is hotter than the coolant.

As far as I know, the cars in HOT climates also have the trans plumbed to the radiator.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Pep

QuotePerhaps, the coolant adds heat to the ATF in cold conditions, but ALSO cools the ATF when the trans fluid is hotter than the coolant

That's what the reasoning is Bruce..We don't have the cold climate conditions you guys have, but I am told that getting the trans temp up quickly is important.....I personally just run a heat sink cooler in the frame. Heat is the biggest killer of transmissions over here.
See Ya
Pep