What rear for '38 Chevy

Started by btrc, October 23, 2006, 07:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btrc

My friend Dan has just bought a '38 Chevy Sedan he is going to build up.  We were discussing rear ends and trying do decide what to use.  He wants to use a 9" Ford but doesn't know what would fit best lengthwise.  What length would work best for this car.  It's not going to have huge tires, probably just something in the 225-235 range.
 I'm going to get him setup with his own password because I think there will be plenty of questions before this is done.

Bob
Bob

tomslik

66-67 nova's are pretty popular for them.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Bob....Is this the car Dan has been looking at ....like forever??Sounds like he finally took the plunge!I have only built one old Chevy....it was also a 38.I used an 8" out of a late 70's Maverick as I recall.Get him signed on....we'll help him spend his money  :P
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Scrap Fe

Bob,

On my '39 Chevy, I narrowed a 9" to 56" with the pinion centered.  I am using 235R70 15 tires on 3.75" back spacing and have plenty of clearance.  Your friend's '38 should be similar.

The best bet is to acquire the wheels and tires he wants to run, set them under the car (after removing the current rear end) to get the best look and measure the distance between the wheels.  Have the housing narrowed to fit that dimension.

Godzilla

It has been quite a while...but I believe I used a early 70's camaro 12 bolt in my car.  I didn't even have to move the spring pads...just slid it in and bolted it down.  Good luck with your build.
The way it was is the way it should be

DJ

Hey guys thanks for the info, I ended up calling Chassis Engineering for a catalog and they told me to use a 9" from a Granada or a Monarch. So thats my plan unless anyone has other thoughts. Car goes to the media blaster tomorrow, I'll try to get a picture in the readers rides

Hey Dan.....Welcome to the RRT! Lots of helpfull fellows hanging around here....Is this the car you had been eyeballing for a while?
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

It's been my experience that although it will work, the Granada rear is a bit narrow. The 70's Camaro is a better fit, the same size in a Ford would be Torino/Montego/Tbird from the middle 70's, about 60" + wide.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

btrc

Dan,
 Your in luck for Granadas because Shank's has lots of them.  I'm sure some of them will have the 9".

Bob
Bob

DJ

Thanks again guys for the info, I do have a 10 bolt posi out of a Firebird thats 56" back plate to back plate maybe the best bet would be set that rear under the car then put some wheels up to it.Darrell, this car belonged to Dale Grunewaldt (the guy you bought your trailer from) he'd bought it as a parts car and then decided it was too good.