Help Needed

Started by TJ's Dad, October 22, 2006, 04:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ's Dad

G'day , I've not posted here for a bit and now when I am its to ask a favor , i hope this doesnt offend anyone. I do read 90% of posts here but just dont get the time to post often.

This is my prob ... My son spotted an A Tudor on eBay and i've been negotiating buying it ..... i wondered if anyone here knows the car or is close to Elburn which i believe is a suburb of Chicago and may have the time to check it out.
I remember Dave , another Aussie, found someone who looked over his 40 Convert before he bought it.

here is the link to it .....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=190041850093&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Thanks  Mike.
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

river1

if i was closer i'd take a look at it.

BUT there is one thing that would concern me. the seller has 0 feedback, for a purchase that large and from your distance i'd like to see more feedback in my seller.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

TJ's Dad

Thanks Jim ... yeah its a bit of a prob. I have bought many cars sight unseen over the years but a couple of years back bought a 39 Chev Tudor where the seller just plain lied even to the point of telling me it was 'all steel' on arrival it had glass guards n bonnett , infact the car wasnt even a runner , so this is why i'm a little wary.
Prior to that i'd always found rodders honest and truthful with most cars arriving and being in better than the described condition.

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Dave

Quote from: "TJ's Dad"G'day , I've not posted here for a bit and now when I am its to ask a favor , i hope this doesnt offend anyone. I do read 90% of posts here but just dont get the time to post often.

This is my prob ... My son spotted an A Tudor on eBay and i've been negotiating buying it ..... i wondered if anyone here knows the car or is close to Elburn which i believe is a suburb of Chicago and may have the time to check it out.
I remember Dave , another Aussie, found someone who looked over his 40 Convert before he bought it.

here is the link to it .....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=190041850093&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Thanks  Mike.

19 hours 5 minutes .. I could get there to check it out but i wouldnt be able to hit the bars there. :!:  If your really interested email the guy and tell him how you want to deal. Hell with him........... its your money. If you do buy it  and make a money back or approval deal I could go look at it for you but it would be couple weeks. Im about 4 hours away.....
Dave

58 Yeoman

I'm a little over an hour from Elburn.  Would he let me come and look at it?  What exactly would you want me to check?  Drivable, not a POS, etc. etc.?  Would have to go see it tomorrow, if it's okay with the seller.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

TJ's Dad

Thanks Dave ....

I am a tad concerned as the same bidder has bid and retracted twice which makes it appear the seller may be a friend of the bidder attempting to get the ball rolling. Its not that its a massive amount of money but enough to make things difficult if i was ripped off ..... and can you imagine the dramas from the missus !!  :roll:  :roll:  :lol:

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Dave

Quote from: "TJ's Dad"Thanks Dave ....

I am a tad concerned as the same bidder has bid and retracted twice which makes it appear the seller may be a friend of the bidder attempting to get the ball rolling. Its not that its a massive amount of money but enough to make things difficult if i was ripped off ..... and can you imagine the dramas from the missus !!  :roll:  :roll:  :lol:

Oh ya............ :!:  Thats done all the time.. Get a buddy to bid it up.

Im gonna be busy next weekend and the following week I go to class for Plc's so like i said it would be a couple week fore i could go look . Id be willing to do it though.
Dave

TJ's Dad

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I'm a little over an hour from Elburn.  Would he let me come and look at it?  What exactly would you want me to check?  Drivable, not a POS, etc. etc.?  Would have to go see it tomorrow, if it's okay with the seller.

Wow ... the power of this internet never ceases to amaze me ..... thanks for your offer ... I will email the seller and explain that I'm not going to bid on it at all but if it fails to sell at auction I will negotiate a price ,take you up on your offer and go from there. As soon as i have a reply i shall PM you...

Thanks very much  ... Mike.

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

donsrods

I looked at the same car a few nights ago while surfing Ebay.  It actually appears to be fairly well constructed, at least from what I can see in the pix.

I'm not nuts about his interior treatment, or the ACME thing across the grille, but he is evidently trying to tap into the rat rod craze.  Looks like he has used some name brand components, and the front suspension looks pretty standard hot rod fare.

Ebay can be good and it can be terrible, and as mentioned, he has a zero feedback rating. I know we all have to start someplace, but that scares me too.  He says the rear end is rebuilt, but says nothing about the engine.

Could be a deal, could be a real headache. Hope the visit by our member fills in the blanks a little.

Don

58 Yeoman

QuoteWow ... the power of this internet never ceases to amaze me ..... thanks for your offer ... I will email the seller and explain that I'm not going to bid on it at all but if it fails to sell at auction I will negotiate a price ,take you up on your offer and go from there. As soon as i have a reply i shall PM you...

Thanks very much  ... Mike.

Well...that takes the pressure off of trying to see it before the auction ends.  You're welcome.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

zzebby

Hey,  I'm the guy that checked out Dave's 40 conv't.    I don't recall Dave's reaction on receving it,  but I tried not to pass my judgement on it.  I just stated what areas had bondo,  had been replaced ,  fit of panels,  interior detail.  It did have a lot of underbody covered with thick undercoating.  Any  way the real reason I'm posting is that I met a great guy when checking it out.  The owner was not available and sent his buddy over to meet me and show we around the car.  Really neat guy .....and his wife and his house full of oddities  and his other hot rods........................and here's the clincher.............an old 50's hot rod 32 Vicky.   It was well worth the trip............and the evening I spent with him and his wife  drooling over that Vicky.  It wasn't for sale officially,  but by the end of the evening he offered it to me for way less than market because he knew how I lusted for it just the way it was.   Long story short,  I couldn't raise the $,  but if I did come into some I know where I would spend it if it was still there.
Anyway a jaunt off to check out some old tin is always fun and often leads to more.

TJ's Dad

Nice to see you had fun while helping Dave out , he's had the car just on 12 months now and although he has way too many cars/bikes he's done many happy miles in it .

At present it has a diff problem , but he's about to begin some holidays so it should be crusin again soon.

It was very thoughtful of you to help him out , i know he appreciated it.

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Mr Cool

So this is the tudor you were tellin me about huh?
I can just see you licking the door trims every time you get into it Mike. :lol:
Not my cuppa tea, but cool in its own freakish little way. Kinda looks like Carps has already been practicing his scribble on it too. :wink:
Its already got the obligatory foot rest for the passengers as I know how you drive :shock: your face on the back of it :shock:  :shock: and the tyres actually have some air in them.

Whoever looks at it, ask about the spare tyre for it. :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
For the story behind that one go check out ozrodders.com  :lol: "How to change a tyre"
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

TJ's Dad

The only remotely believable bit in the above post is the users age !! (although he does look somewhat older) :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Mr Cool

Quote from: "TJ's Dad"The only remotely believable bit in the above post is the users age !! (although he does look somewhat older) :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Ok, who changed my date of birth to 1928? :shock: freak me out :evil:
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.