UPDATE : Crosley broken crank shaft

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 22, 2006, 10:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I was getting my 51 Crosley wagon bolted together for a local car show in Phoenix.... I was bumping the engine over with the starter since I had just hooked up the new battery.

I noticed the fan had stopped turning while I bumped the engine over. I looked at the bottom pulley and it was NOT straight. As I investigated I found the end of the crank shaft had broken off.

I had just installed the engine thursday evening. I did not have the engine apart while it was out, so I do not know what happened. When I installed the fan belt it seemed a bit loose.

I guess now I need to find some parts and build a fresh engine........ although at this point I am quite PO'd ! I could easily sell every car and part I have.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wvcab

tony

step away from the shop. I know the feeling. take a break, it will get better :shock:

GPster

I would suggest a long motorcycle ride and avoid the local car show. Avoid the things that might bring the subject up. There can be no good news come of it today but maybe some idesa will come to a clearer head tomorrow. You're always ready to come to someone's help and this is certainly not the "pay-back" for that. GPster

EMSjunkie

Too much torque and horsepower :shock:
stop doin' dry-hops :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

tomslik

that sucks!

don't you have a spare crank laying around?
or(on a crosley) ain't it all that easy?
never been in one so i don't know...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

donsrods

Sorry to hear that Tony. We have all had similar things happen.

There is a bright side to this though. You could have been all buttoned up and driving it when it happened. Probably would have wiped out a lot more parts.

The guys are right........put a cover over the car for a little while and then go back at it when you feel better about it.  Right now you are just too PO'd, understandably.

My Son and I have been trying for two years to have our rods ready for Daytona at Thanksgiving, and it isn't going to happen this year either. It is frustrating, but we have to keep in mind this is just a hobby.

Don

av8

Vern Tardel has a Crosley motor sitting in the shop. It's been there for at least 14 years I know of. There do not seem to be any plans for it, so if you are interested I'll tell him of your plight and see if he would sell it. Vern is very sympathetic to enthusiasts with a true need, so I'd expect it would be at very fair price.

Mike

Crosley.In.AZ

As for the car........ I have it outside my shop.  I will teach it a lesson , when it acts like this it can sit outside in the weather.

This just * a fellow off.  I freshen'd up the brakes , fuel system , gas in the tank , $70.00 battery, rebuilt the front king pins, cleaned & painted the springs too, new urethane bushings in the springs.....

:shock:
Tony

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"As for the car........ I have it outside my shop.  I will teach it a lesson , when it acts like this it can sit outside in the weather.

This just * a fellow off.  I freshen'd up the brakes , fuel system , gas in the tank , $70.00 battery, rebuilt the front king pins, cleaned & painted the springs too, new urethane bushings in the springs.....

Cant you just super glue it :?:  :?:
Dam that sucks...
Dave :arrow:

Crosley.In.AZ

It gets better.......  I pulled the engine & removed the oil pan.

Yep the crank is broken.

I pulled the engine out this evening.  I removed the oil
pan for a look see.... yep the crank is broke at the
front snout. LOL

I checked a few bearings. They are in good shape.  The
mains are .010 under , the rods are .020 under.

THEN , I am looking up into the block at the bottom of
the pistons. One of the pistons is broken. The bottom
2/3 below the piston ring land is gone .
These pistons have 4 rings on them

I guess I need to round up some parts and build a
fresh engine.  I better round up the cash first. LOL

8)
Tony

enjenjo

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "Crosley"As for the car........ I have it outside my shop.  I will teach it a lesson , when it acts like this it can sit outside in the weather.

Cant you just super glue it :?:  :?:
Dam that sucks...
Dave :arrow:

Why not just bend up a new one out of another coat hanger?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

sounds like you found all this out at the right time...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

Well my try for a crankshaft bombed out but some information. There was (is?) a salvage yard around Lancaster,Ohio that was run by people named Maddox. At one time they had over a 100 of them in various condition. They were supposed to have sold 70 of them to some concern in Texas a few years ago. This comes from another salvage yard owner that has stayed close to home for the last 10 years and at that point one of the Maddoxs was getting kind of sickly. Just a hint as I don't happen to have a Lancaster phone book handy but I am within driving distance if that lead pans out. The guy I talked to said that he thinks Crosley made more engines than they did cars because of the uses they put them to. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"update with photos.
What engine were you looking fo the main bearings for? Do yoy think this break is fron junping time on the cam and a piston/valve met? With the cam not turning maybe the valvetrain settled into a neutral position where everything clears when the starter is rolled. Part of my sanity is seeing who has it worse than me. GPster