40 ford frame question

Started by Rob, October 19, 2006, 06:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Does anyone have any info on the changes that have to be make to a 40 Ford frame to accept a 700r4 tranny?  I know that Chassis Engineering makes an such a piece that involves cutting the X member and welding in a new piece, but If anyone one has pictures and measurments that they could share I'd really appreciate it

Thanks

enjenjo

I've done a couple. I don't have any measurements. You have to cut both sides, on the bottom, the left side is fairly easy, just a right angle box on the bottom of the crossmember, just about even with the brake pedal. The right side is more extensive, going further forward, and further out. If you can get them at a reasonable price, it is worth getting preformed parts. Much easier to install with the body off too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Well, I did a Chassis Engineering install a long time ago without the frame off.

Removing the center Xmember portion was a little exciting with a well lubed chassis and a gas saw.

Don't have any measurements and wasn't into taking a whole lot of pics but I'm pretty happy with the results: