Off Topic.....Motorhome BS!

Started by 40, October 16, 2006, 11:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well....I just bought a used (1996) Pace Arrow Vision 35' motorhome with a 460 fuel injected Ford big block/4 speed auto w/overdrive from the 86 year old original owner.It's in "as new" condition with less than 17K original miles....the generator only has 15 hours on it.It seems to run very strong and shifts smoothly thru the gears.Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this driveline combo and if they are noted for any quirks or pitfalls?I had never owned a modern Ford vehicle until I bought my V-10 Superduty truck,since I've bought a Ranger pickup for work and a Conversion Van....My driveway is starting to look like a dealership  :roll: No experience at all with the 460. It has been over 20 years since we've owned a motorhome....will take a bit to get used to again....this thing is as big as a Greyhound Bus  :shock: Our 32' Holiday Rambler Travel Trailer has just become expendable.....anybody looking for a good deal on a RV??
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Crosley.In.AZ

I'd get all of the fluids serviced in the vehicle.  

Engine cooling systems do not like to sit around, they develop that electrolysis stuff.  Then they clog up , over heat and the owner is PO'd
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fat Cat

Quote from: "40"Well....I just bought a used (1996) Pace Arrow Vision 35' motorhome with a 460 fuel injected Ford big block/4 speed auto w/overdrive from the 86 year old original owner.It's in "as new" condition with less than 17K original miles....the generator only has 15 hours on it.It seems to run very strong and shifts smoothly thru the gears.Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this driveline combo and if they are noted for any quirks or pitfalls?

We have 2 on our lot right now, a 99 and a 2000. They are a little bit gas hoggish. Not as much power as the V10's. No real quirks. Make sure you keep up on the filter and fluid changes. Ford recomends a trans service at 35,000 but with the number of years on it if it hasn't been changed yet I might consider it. You are going to love  :roll:  changing the spark plugs on it. It has to be done with the front tires removed.

What does it have for roofing? Fiberglass or Rubber?

You think that's long you should try driving one of the 40' diesel pushers. Even worse you should try backing one into a shop over a 42" wide service pit.

Make sure you winterize that beast. There is a bunch of pex water lines in hard to reach places.

I believe he just had all the fluids changed in anticipation of a trip to Florida for the Winter....Then,his doctor pulled the plug,said his heart was in no shape to be driving that rig over the road.....I'm very surprised he listened....that's not typical for us of the male gender :P

Frank,I forgot you were our resident RV guru.....I'm sure I'll have many more questions after I get this thing home and have a chance to look it over closer.....Look for an email in your in-box soon :P
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Grandadeo

Sounds similar to what I picked up three years ago right after I retired.  Mine was a '93 Class A with only 7000 miles on it.  A real cream puff.  Used it one time for a "practice" camping trip to a near by RV park.  It then sat for a few months so I took it out just to drive it and keep everything working well.  That's when the perfect looking front tire blew out.  $1000 or so later I had six new tires and put it up for sale.  Since my wife was still working, not retired yet, I could see it was going to be sitting a lot.  I figured I'd try to get my money out of it and revisit motor homes after she retired.  I actually made money on it so it worked out OK.  So... I guess I'm saying really check your tires out before you hit the road.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Fat Cat

Quote from: "40"I believe he just had all the fluids changed in anticipation of a trip to Florida for the Winter....Then,his doctor pulled the plug,said his heart was in no shape to be driving that rig over the road.....I'm very surprised he listened....that's not typical for us of the male gender :P

Frank,I forgot you were our resident RV guru.....I'm sure I'll have many more questions after I get this thing home and have a chance to look it over closer.....Look for an email in your in-box soon :P

I will be waitin'. I talked to the other tech at work today and he mentioned that you need to watch for delamination in the side panels. Also that exhaust donuts were common failure points.