Auction

Started by Bib_Overalls, April 13, 2004, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

One of the local car nuts is in poor health and has decided to auction his stash of project and parts cars.  They will go cheap.  Most of the area rodders will be in Memphis for Super Chevy or in Jackson for the Bunny Run.  I would go and bid on some of it but I will be out of town.  Really like the Sears AllState (Henry J).  Think it has reall possibilites.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Mac

:D Hey, that Valvo looks identical to my very first ride. `Cept mine had a little more air in the tires.

Jack
Who\'s yer Data?

58 Yeoman

Oh yeah, on second look, it DOES have tires. I've always liked that style Volvo, and the Henry J's. But then, I used to drive/work on VW Bugs. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

SKR8PN

So THAT is why it is so difficult to locate parts for Plymouth pickups.........
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

purplepickup

That Henry J looks real solid.  That would be my choice if I was there.  Too bad it's so far away :(
George

HotRodLadyCrusr

George, you need ANOTHER project like a ........ another hole in the head  :wink:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"George, you need ANOTHER project like a ........ another hole in the head  :wink:

A man can't have to many projects!  Get out in the kitchen and make some more cookies.  "Please"
See ya Saturday.
Cookie tester, Ken  :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

slocrow

A man can't have to many projects!  Get out in the kitchen and make some more cookies.  "Please"
See ya Saturday.
Cookie tester, Ken  :lol:[/quote]

So OBT, what were you in a former life, a master sergeant? You've been barking orders for days. A sure sign of Spring when the chef tries to regain his grill powers. :lol:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

sodbuster

When and Where is the auction? Just wondering, and thinking about that lincoln. I have two 41's (one sedan and a 3 window club coupe).

Chris Nelson
Kansas

Ohio Blue Tip

So OBT, what were you in a former life, a master sergeant? You've been barking orders for days. A sure sign of Spring when the chef tries to regain his grill powers. :lol:[/quote]

As I told my boss, "Yes I did just arrive on the turnip truck, BUT I WAS DRIVEN"  :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Sean

I have been told that the Sears Allstate's were fairly rare. Are there any differences (besides the name) between the Allstates and Henry J's?

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "slocrow"A man can't have to many projects!  Get out in the kitchen and make some more cookies.  "Please"
See ya Saturday.
Cookie tester, Ken  :lol:

So OBT, what were you in a former life, a master sergeant? You've been barking orders for days. A sure sign of Spring when the chef tries to regain his grill powers. :lol:[/quote]

FORMER life is correct, after that kitchen comment.   :shock:

It's a good thing I like him so much or he'd be cut off from the cookie supply on Saturday.  :D
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Sean

Is the lower part of the grille caved in on all of those Plymouth trucks, or is that how they were made?

purplepickup

Quote from: "Sean"I have been told that the Sears Allstate's were fairly rare. Are there any differences (besides the name) between the Allstates and Henry J's?
Here's something I found that probably answers your questions:

QuoteWhat comes to mind when one uses the word "Allstate" is an insurance company within the Sears and Roebuck conglomerate. But in 1952 and 1953, Sears offered in their world renowned catalog and some southeast retail stores, a car called the Allstate.

It started with Theodore V. Houser, the merchandising agent for Sears, and also a board member of Kaiser-Frazer. Houser envisioned an automobile sold by Sears that would enhance their newly formed auto service departments. The company was heavy into installing auto service centers at their major-city retail stores. The car would enhance the inventory of sellable car parts and accessories, and would also generate a client of sears-dedicated auto customers.

The automobile Houser picked, of course, was the Henry J: simple and inexpensive. The hookup with Kaiser-Frazer was a natural and somehow the president of the auto company convinced the dealers of the Henry J to accept Sears as a competitor. The deal was made.

The name Houser wanted for the new car to be retailed by Sears was the K-F, but with emphasis on Kaiser-Frazer, the name was changed to Allstate. In 1952 one-thousand, five-hundred and sixty-six Allstates were built for Sears, and in 1953 seven-hundred and ninety-seven were produced.

Though a Henry J throughout, the Allstate sported a distinctive front end designed by Alex Tremulis plus a major interior upgrade. The car also came with Sears brand Allstate batteries, spark plugs and tube-tires. The car had a 90 day or four-thousand mile warranty, which ever came first. The deluxe model came with a trunklid and dashboard glove box, something seldom found on the Henry J. It also sported door arm rests and a horn ring on the steering wheel, an option with the Henry J.

Two engines were offered for the Allstate: The Willys L-head four cylinder was a 68 bhp engine. The six cylinder L-head engine, also built by Willys, produced 80 bhp. Three models were offered both years: the basic sedan, $1,395; the standard sedan, $1,486; and the Deluxe sedan, $1,539. There were few changes for the 1953 models with only a rubber dash pad and relocated taillights. But, by then it was apparent to Sears that the venture had failed and the company abandoned the project.
George