Teardrop skirts

Started by Ornberg, October 14, 2006, 12:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ornberg

Did someone know where I could find a pair of teardrop skirts for my 41 Buick?
I prefer steel but Fiberglas will work also. 8)

Per

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "Ornberg"Did someone know where I could find a pair of teardrop skirts for my 41 Buick?
I prefer steel but Fiberglas will work also. 8)

Per

Per:

I'm not sure if this helps you any, but......

...the December 2006 issue of "Rod & Custom" magazine is currently on the news stands here in the U.S. and it features an article on actually *BUILDING* a set of skirts.....

....not *buying* skirts from one of their advertisers, but BUILDING them from scratch.....

.....using raw sheet metal and tools such as a welder, a shrinker/stretcher and an English wheel.

This is the first time in a l-o-n-g time that I have seen a consumer-oriented mag actually do a "tech article" on *making* something instead of how-to-buy a ready-made product and bolt it on, and I almost yelled out "ALL RIGHT!!!" right in the middle of the grocery store.

Even the oval-track mags are shying away from "real" technical articles these days - leaning towards the HRM-inspired, install-our-advertisers'-parts articles.

Now, don't let the shrinker/stretcher and English wheel scare you.

Many of us survived quite well before we bought shrinker/stretchers or English wheels - or in enjenjo's case, built his own English wheel - so I can envision somebody being able to build these skirts with some clever hammer-and-dolly work.

What was the old formula for a Deuce door skin?

Draw a grid of one-inch squares and hit it with a hammer-and-dolly at each junction point and the door will have the correct compound curve.......

There are also shrinking hammers and dollies available.

Speaking about using alternative methods to do things, I just bought one of those "compact benders" from a flea market tool vendor, so I can now shelve some of the "alternatives" I have used for years.

This is the same bench-top version of the Chinese tool that Northern Tool sells for $99.00, but I bought it for $60.00 - brand new, in-the-box, from a guy who was having a "slow" day.

All this does is allow me to make some brackets and the like a bit quicker without the use of sockets, tanks, pieces of pipe, door jambs, etc. which I've been bending the metal around for years.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

58 Yeoman

You mean like these?  They were on my 41 Pontiac, and are steel, but they would need a little fixin' up.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Ornberg

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"You mean like these?  They were on my 41 Pontiac, and are steel, but they would need a little fixin' up.

Yes Phil, just like that.

Thanks Bob for your reply but I don't know if I got the skills it takes to make my own. :roll:
Btw, her's a guy over at the HAMB who makes his own skirts
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62058

Per