700r4 trans mount

Started by Daveyboy, October 07, 2006, 04:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveyboy

Calling all Trans guys?

Ok i have a 700r4 and need a small mount have a mount #2268 it's about 1 3/4 inch thick. I need a 1 inch mount or smaller What mount do i use?

enjenjo

None that I know of, they are all about that thick.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Daveyboy

Ok i can cut and reweld the cross member to fix that.

But my eng is sitting a bit high. I used a #2142 mount
the mount has the long bolt on the lower side of the mount.
Do they make a mount that has the bolt closer up by the top 2 bolts? So it would lower it about 1 to 2 inchs?
If so what mount is it?
And should the eng sit level? the frame top is level the end is a bit leaning to the rear. Not much but 1 inch down would help

thanks Dave

enjenjo

The engine should be angled down in the rear 5 degrees.

Dave

Quote from: "Daveyboy"Ok i can cut and reweld the cross member to fix that.

But my eng is sitting a bit high. I used a #2142 mount
the mount has the long bolt on the lower side of the mount.
Do they make a mount that has the bolt closer up by the top 2 bolts? So it would lower it about 1 to 2 inchs?
If so what mount is it?
And should the eng sit level? the frame top is level the end is a bit leaning to the rear. Not much but 1 inch down would help

thanks Dave

Dont forget the carb base on the intake should be level and it should be level at final ride height.
Dave

WZ JUNK

Dont forget the carb base on the intake should be level and it should be level at final ride height.
Dave[/quote]

I usually do this when I set up an engine but I wonder about the logic sometimes.   I am really curious if this applies to fuel injected engines?   My thought is, how often is a car setting still running on level ground.  So if the car is rarely still on level ground, what does the 5 degrees do for the engine?  Why not just make it level?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Do you factor in the curve of the earth to get the engine angle a bit closer??

:wink:  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

It also helps oiling John. By tilting the engine back, it helps keep the oil from pooling in the lifter gallery, and heads.

1FATGMC

I have always thought it was about 3 deg. down.  I'll bet they started doing that to make more room in the passenger compartment and since it was pointed slightly down they made the intake manifold to be level for the carb.  John you are right that the car might not be level much of the time, but with the carb level on a level surface then the angle as the car pitches up or down would be less in both cases on the average vs. if it would have already been at an angle in one case or the other.

The main thing is that what ever angle the engine/transmission is at pointed down the rear should be at the same angle up, unless maybe you run a drag car with leaf springs where you can get axle wrap.

c ya,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

I usually do this when I set up an engine but I wonder about the logic sometimes.   I am really curious if this applies to fuel injected engines?   My thought is, how often is a car setting still running on level ground.  So if the car is rarely still on level ground, what does the 5 degrees do for the engine?  Why not just make it level?

John

EFI engines are not bothered by angles too much.  You gotta keep the fuel pump imersed in fuel or run a smaller secondary fuel tank for the HP pump with a lift pump at the main fuel tank

the extreme rock crawler vehicles are all EFI stuff since a carb will not fucntion well at the angles these guys get into.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: Crosley
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"the extreme rock crawler vehicles are all EFI stuff since a carb will not fucntion well at the angles these guys get into.

8)

I saw a picture a couple years ago taken by Moab where a jeep was going up a vertical rock face hanging on it's winch cable.  They had taken the hood off and a guy was hanging from the cowl squirting gas in the carb so that they were "technically" running off the motor.  I think it took them something like 6 hours to go 30 feet.

Not exactly my definition of "jeeping",

Sum