8.8 question

Started by tomslik, October 02, 2006, 08:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

seeing how i just scrapped out a 91 exploder AND the rear has a 3.73 posi unit, i'm wondering how strong those are.....
anybody know?
ever break one?
btw, they're 59 3/4" wide.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

EMSjunkie

I had an 8.8 under my Coupe for awhile, upgraded to a Lincoln disc rear.
my 8.8 also had 3:73 posi. it was from a 91 Mustang LX. other than it being drum instead of disc, I'd prolly still be using it 8)

the Lincoln rear is a bit wider, but only an 1- 1 1/2.

I like the way the Coupe came off the line with the 'glide tranny and those 3:73 gears :shock:

I think my 8.8 measures 56 1/2 hub to hub.......I think :?

what was the question :?:  :roll:

Vance

p.s. the Lincoln rear is 7.5"  so I can't stand on it too much........'course. if I break the 7.5........the only option is to put the 8.8 back in........hummmm........... :D

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

As I recall the 8.8 is a fairly strong unit for street use..... Ford used it behind V-8 power & the turbo coupe cars had them too.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dave

Quote from: "tomslik"seeing how i just scrapped out a 91 exploder AND the rear has a 3.73 posi unit, i'm wondering how strong those are.....
anybody know?
ever break one?
btw, they're 59 3/4" wide.....

Never actually seen one broke but ive seen one all used up :!:  The axles were sloppy and the bearings on the 8.8 used the axle for the inner race like the chevys so it needed new axles to make it good again.
Dave

tomslik

yeah, i knew they were a c-clip type axle but i'm thinking c-clip eliminators anyway.
funny, we work on * near everything (independant shop)and i've never seen a 8.8 with a problem.....gm and jeep on the other hand......

enjenjo

Well the Mustang guys are using them on 8 second cars, so they can't be too bad.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

If you are good, you can break anything!  Just ask me.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"yeah, i knew they were a c-clip type axle but i'm thinking c-clip eliminators anyway.
funny, we work on * near everything (independant shop)and i've never seen a 8.8 with a problem.....gm and jeep on the other hand......

I was surperised to see you work for Pep Boys.

:shock:  :!:
Tony

1FATGMC

Quote from: tomslik............. but i'm thinking c-clip eliminators anyway.................quote]

Since I've been running a GM rear I've looked into the c-clip eliminators a couple times and haven't found out anything good about them for a street driven car.  The ones that have retainers in the outer housing seem to have a leaking problem that is not bad for the track, but not good for the street.

The only good way I've seen to run them is when you cut the end of the axle housing off and weld a Ford type end on and then you can run the normal Ford bearings and seals.  This is a lot of work though and not cheap.  If you don't need the eliminators the 8.8 looks to be a strong enough rear for most applications.

Since I want to eventually run my truck on the salt where the stock GM setup is a no-no I'm going to put one of the three 9 inch rearends I have under the truck.  

c ya,

Sum

tomslik

QuoteI was surperised to see you work for Pep Boys.

when did you go to work for aammco?

tomslik

QuoteSince I've been running a GM rear I've looked into the c-clip eliminators a couple times and haven't found out anything good about them for a street driven car. The ones that have retainers in the outer housing seem to have a leaking problem that is not bad for the track, but not good for the street.

yeah, i think they ALL leak

The only good way I've seen to run them is when you cut the end of the axle housing off and weld a Ford type end on and then you can run the normal Ford bearings and seals. This is a lot of work though and not cheap. If you don't need the eliminators the 8.8 looks to be a strong enough rear for most applications.

getting the housing modified ain't so bad, it's buying the axles that kill ya....and if i'm going to all that trouble, i just as well narrow it too!;)

Since I want to eventually run my truck on the salt where the stock GM setup is a no-no I'm going to put one of the three 9 inch rearends I have under the truck.
[/quote]

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
QuoteI was surperised to see you work for Pep Boys.

when did you go to work for aammco?

as you often do for a guy yur age , ya got confused....  the new guy at my work place is from Denver ( of all places), he worked for many AAmco  stores over the years.  It shows too.

8)
Tony

2rods

My son runs about 900 hp through his 8.8 with no problems. I am beginning to believe they are stronger than the 9". He has c clip eliminators and they haven't leaked in 2 years.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "2rods"He has c clip eliminators and they haven't leaked in 2 years.

I'm interested.  What type did he use and is the car street driven??

c ya,

Sum

2rods

Mosers and was street driven 6 or 7 months. Now it is pure race.