Trans question...Cros...

Started by Arnold, September 29, 2006, 09:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Hi..
    Ford 4EAT...this thing works perfect...until it goes into o/d and lockup at about 40mph with light throttle.With above light throttle..it continues to work perfect.With light throttle..it has started to shudder..a few weeks ago.The shudderring decreases as either the throttle is increased or the speed increases.Pretty hard to get it to shudder at 50mph.It won't shudder at 55 and above.It is not shaking or slipping..and is not really bad shudderring.I can't make it do this in 1,2 or 3..just o/d and lockup.

Any thoughts? it is more annoying than anything else.Any idea how long this thing will last like this? I drive it easy but don't want it to quit in the middle of nowhere.I also don't want to change it..unless I have to.However it it is gonna quit soon..I'ld rather change it now..used ones here are plenty and cheap. I may even buy a good one..rebuild it and do that.I am no tranny expert but have built a few.Anything I should watch for with one of these? I can get a good trans for about $200Cdn and a hard kit to rebuild it for another$150. Beats $700 installed for a used one and $2,000 for a rebuilt.

Thanks much..

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Arnold"Hi..
    Ford 4EAT...this thing works perfect...until it goes into o/d and lockup at about 40mph with light throttle.With above light throttle..it continues to work perfect.With light throttle..it has started to shudder..a few weeks ago.The shudderring decreases as either the throttle is increased or the speed increases.Pretty hard to get it to shudder at 50mph.It won't shudder at 55 and above.It is not shaking or slipping..and is not really bad shudderring.I can't make it do this in 1,2 or 3..just o/d and lockup.

Any thoughts? it is more annoying than anything else.Any idea how long this thing will last like this? I drive it easy but don't want it to quit in the middle of nowhere.I also don't want to change it..unless I have to.However it it is gonna quit soon..I'ld rather change it now..used ones here are plenty and cheap. I may even buy a good one..rebuild it and do that.I am no tranny expert but have built a few.Anything I should watch for with one of these? I can get a good trans for about $200Cdn and a hard kit to rebuild it for another$150. Beats $700 installed for a used one and $2,000 for a rebuilt.

Thanks much..

year of vehicle , mileage?

has the trans been serviced ( oil change) ever?

The trans needs fluid changes to keep some of the friction modifiers in good shape to avoid shudder of the converter clutch .

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Arnold"Hi..

Thanks much..

year of vehicle , mileage?

has the trans been serviced ( oil change) ever?

The trans needs fluid changes to keep some of the friction modifiers in good shape to avoid shudder of the converter clutch .

8)

Thanks! for that Cros..I am not sure of the year or age of this trans..or the mileage.91-96 interchange.I suspect that it has been changed.I drive this pretty easy..and have maintained it myself well for the few years that I have had it. There are no codes. Might it be the 3-4 solenoid? Would it be worth a try to stick another one in? I think these things had external ones.  Thanks..

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Arnold"

Thanks! for that Cros..I am not sure of the year or age of this trans..or the mileage.91-96 interchange.I suspect that it has been changed.I drive this pretty easy..and have maintained it myself well for the few years that I have had it. There are no codes. Might it be the 3-4 solenoid? Would it be worth a try to stick another one in? I think these things had external ones.  Thanks..

I do not know.... this tranny is thought of as an import trans.  I have no books on it.

3-4 sol?  could be .  Could be the converter lock up system, could be the fluid causing problems.  Depending on the age of the car the computer looks for different ( read more) problems as the car moves down the road

the question here is :" Is the converter clutch lining worn out ( shot, junk , NFG) from this excessive slippage?  IF there are no codes , is the computer looking for a slippage RPM variance( car manufacture year)  that is outside the built in parameters?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"

I do not know.... this tranny is thought of as an import trans.  I have no books on it.

3-4 sol?  could be .  Could be the converter lock up system, could be the fluid causing problems.  Depending on the age of the car the computer looks for different ( read more) problems as the car moves down the road

the question here is :" Is the converter clutch lining worn out ( shot, junk , NFG) from this excessive slippage?  IF there are no codes , is the computer looking for a slippage RPM variance( car manufacture year)  that is outside the built in parameters?

Thanks again Cros..I know this is an import job/Mazda trans. The fluid was changed not long ago.Maybe I'll try a sol..or maybe buy the book on it.

wvcab

Thanks again Cros..I know this is an import job/Mazda trans. The fluid was changed not long ago.Maybe I'll try a sol..or maybe buy the book on it.

when you say the fluid has been changed, do you mean dropping the pan, and changing the filter?

or a 12 qt flush?