Chassis Engineeringt, Posies, or Dodge Carvan suspension?

Started by 48builder, September 25, 2006, 06:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I just got back from the NSRA show in Burlington, VT. Had a great time. I've been there 11 out of the 13 years. On the drive, I finally grew tired enough of my rear suspension to start looking for a replacement. I used a kit from Butch's Rod shop that Fat Man recommended. The kit used the stock rear springs. It rides very rough, seems to bottom out a lot, and I had to cob the CE sway bear to get it to fit in.

I'm thinking of the three options mentioned in the title. I'd prefer something bolt-in. I can take out the tank if I do have to weld anything. I've heard that Dodge caravan springs will work, but have never seen pics or a description of how to use them. I fabricated the trailing arm and coil spring mounts I'm using in my '48, so I'm sure I can handle it, but some help from someone who has done it would be nice. If I make me own setup I'm not sure how to find the right place to mount the springs so the rear is centered.

Also considering looking for a dsic brake rear. I think some Lincoln rears are about the same width as the ranada I have in there.

Any ideas?
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Dave

Quote from: "48builder"I just got back from the NSRA show in Burlington, VT. Had a great time. I've been there 11 out of the 13 years. On the drive, I finally grew tired enough of my rear suspension to start looking for a replacement. I used a kit from Butch's Rod shop that Fat Man recommended. The kit used the stock rear springs. It rides very rough, seems to bottom out a lot, and I had to cob the CE sway bear to get it to fit in.

I'm thinking of the three options mentioned in the title. I'd prefer something bolt-in. I can take out the tank if I do have to weld anything. I've heard that Dodge caravan springs will work, but have never seen pics or a description of how to use them. I fabricated the trailing arm and coil spring mounts I'm using in my '48, so I'm sure I can handle it, but some help from someone who has done it would be nice. If I make me own setup I'm not sure how to find the right place to mount the springs so the rear is centered.

Also considering looking for a dsic brake rear. I think some Lincoln rears are about the same width as the ranada I have in there.

Any ideas?

I havent looked at a CE catalog in quite a while but I used one of thier Kits on my 34 and although it wasnt a bolt in it worked ok. I heard that they used some dodge springs but could never verify that or what spriings they used or id have done it with out thier parts.
Dave

enjenjo

CE uses Dodge truck front springs. IMO they are too stiff. I have used Posies springs on the last couple cars, and they ride nice.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "48builder"I just got back from the NSRA show in Burlington, VT. Had a great time. I've been there 11 out of the 13 years. On the drive, I finally grew tired enough of my rear suspension to start looking for a replacement. I used a kit from Butch's Rod shop that Fat Man recommended. The kit used the stock rear springs. It rides very rough, seems to bottom out a lot, and I had to cob the CE sway bear to get it to fit in.

Any ideas?

I have used the Caravan rear springs a couple of times on Chevy trucks.  They come in two different lengths and the spring hangers and shackles unbolt from the Caravan.  Try to check how the rear weight of your vehicle compares to a Caravan.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

SKR8PN

Just one more option...........some of the later Caravans and Chrysler Town and Country's have a MONO leaf rear spring....
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

paul5456

I have a Chassis Engineering set up on my 48 Ford.  It was a bolt in.  The springs I got from them (supposedly the Dodge truck ones) ride very good - not mushy or too stiff.  The only thing about this kit was that it left the rear of the car kind of high and I had to use lowering blocks to get it down.  This was done about 25 years ago - maybe the kit has been changed so the rear will ride lower.

Any ideas?

48builder

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Just one more option...........some of the later Caravans and Chrysler Town and Country's have a MONO leaf rear spring....

What would be the benefit of the mono spring? I'm heading to my buddies yard tonight. If I go the caravan route it won't cost me anything to try it.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

[quote="WZ JUNK
I have used the Caravan rear springs a couple of times on Chevy trucks.  They come in two different lengths and the spring hangers and shackles unbolt from the Caravan.  Try to check how the rear weight of your vehicle compares to a Caravan.

John[/quote]

Thanks, John. Do you have any pics of your install? I can't remember how the shocks mounted on wither of my Dodge minivans, but I'll check tonight at the yard. I would imagine the weight is similar. My '39 is a 2-dr sedan.

Walt
'39 Chevy driver