one wire alternator

Started by bombcan, April 12, 2004, 08:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bombcan

I am on my 4th alternator  and my 2nd voltage regulator on my Ford. Still not charging.  I want to change to a chevy one wire alternator.... Can anybody tell me how to wire it up to a ford?

Thanks
Rob

34ford

There are some intresting articles on these sites about alternators both 1 and 3 wire. Maybe you can get some insite here.

http://mightymo.org/Proj_OneWire.html

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

bob

Skip

Quote from: "bombcan"I am on my 4th alternator  and my 2nd voltage regulator on my Ford. Still not charging.  I want to change to a chevy one wire alternator.... Can anybody tell me how to wire it up to a ford?

Thanks
Rob

....a one-wire?............
Bolt it on and hook up your old (heavy gauge) output wire to the back of it.  cover the rest of the wires (so they don't short against the engine) and you're done.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

bombcan

Quote from: "Skip"
Quote from: "bombcan"I am on my 4th alternator  and my 2nd voltage regulator on my Ford. Still not charging.  I want to change to a chevy one wire alternator.... Can anybody tell me how to wire it up to a ford?

Thanks
Rob

Bolt it on and hook up your old (heavy gauge) output wire to the back of it.  cover the rest of the wires (so they don't short against the engine) and you're done.

Thanks Skip,  So I can use the existing heavy wire from the back of my alternator, sealing off the the others?   Should I unhook the voltage regulator wires, or does not having the other wires on the back of the alternator take care of this?

I completely rewired a car using your book, but the alternator is still a mystery to me......

Skip

Quote from: "bombcan"
Quote from: "Skip"

Thanks
Rob

Thanks Skip,  So I can use the existing heavy wire from the back of my alternator, sealing off the the others?   Should I unhook the voltage regulator wires, or does not having the other wires on the back of the alternator take care of this?

I completely rewired a car using your book, but the alternator is still a mystery to me......

Yea, the output wire on an alternator doesn't go through the regulator like it did on a generator.

Simply hook it to the back of the one-wire and forget about the regulator as it's out of teh circuit.

The only thing that won't work is the charging indicator as it was tied into the regulator circuit.  Stick a volt meter under the dash, instead.

If you're running an ammeter, it should work just like it did with the old alternator.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting