PS pump w/ remote res. question...

Started by efingstein, September 18, 2006, 02:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efingstein

I ordered an alan grove ps brkt for my 425 nailhead earlier today. It uses the cavalier style PS pump with the remote resevoir. Is there any significant pressure on this res.? Can I make my own res. or use something I found? Should I get one from a place like Parr or summit?
Thanks
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

jaybee

There shouldn't be any significant amount of pressure in the reservoir, you can take the cap off with the engine running.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Leon

It goes in the return line, the connections should be set up so it doesn't cause the fluid to bubble when going back into the tank.

efingstein

Are you suggesting that if I make a spherical or cylindrical tank, that the lines be mounted in the very bottom of the tank? I'm just hunting for ideas.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

Varicam

Quote from: "efingstein"Are you suggesting that if I make a spherical or cylindrical tank, that the lines be mounted in the very bottom of the tank? I'm just hunting for ideas.

Doesn't make any difference where the return line mounts, except the return fluid shouldn't splatter out of the tank with the cap off.   The supply line should exit close to the bottom of the reservoir so that most of the fluid is usable.

Rex Schimmer

Make the tank a cylinder, make the inlet to the pump at the bottom and make sure that it is the same size or larger than the inlet connection on the pump. Mount the tank so the the normal oil level is above the pump inlet and make the return line connect to the edge of the tank so that it is tangent to the side to make the return oil spin on the tank wall, this will help remove the air from the return oil. If you just return the oil directly to the tank make sure that the end of the return line is always below the oil level and put a small divider between the return and the pump inlet. Make sure that the cap has a vent hole to allow the tank to breath.

Rex

efingstein

Alright, let me pose this question to ya'll. I know I'll have 3 lines. #1 from the pump to the rack. #2 from the rack to the res. #3 from the res to the pump. Can I just use fuel injector hose for #2 and #3 and have a high pressure line for #1? I shouldn't need to have high pressure lines for all 3 lines, should I?

enjenjo

No, you only need high pressure line on the pressure side of the pump. For the return line, you can buy a power steering return hose kit at the parts store.

The number of lines you need depend on how the pump is set up. Some systems have a return line to the pump, and only one line to the reservoir
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

efingstein

How could you only have 1 line to the res.?

enjenjo

pressure line from the pump to the steering, return line from the steering to the pump, and one line to the reservoir.

Varicam

Quote from: "enjenjo"pressure line from the pump to the steering, return line from the steering to the pump, and one line to the reservoir.

I've never seen a hookup like this.  Since most pumps only have two connections, I'm guessing the reservoir line would be spliced into the steering return line with something like a "Y" connection.  Is this the way it's done?

enjenjo

Some of the remote pumps have three connections. I don't know why a Y wouldn't work.