Wheel Lock Woes

Started by Rob, September 11, 2006, 08:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Here's one you have probably not seen before...

I'm getting ready to go to K'Zoo.  Being the paranoid individual I am, I was installing wheel locks to prevent my wheels from walking away @ night.
Somehow I didn't notice that my torque wrench was adjusted WAY up, and I managed to strip the internal "Key to the lock and now they won't come off.
The locks are the type with the unique internal configuration with a matching "key".  If it was the key that stripped, I could just get another one sent from the manufacturer, but it's the lug nut itself.  I'm thinking I may need to find a REALLY good TIG welder to spot weld the key onto the lug so I can turn it off, but I don't want to ruin my aluminum wheels.

Any thoughts?

Charlie Chops 1940

Sounds like a reasonable way to me. I know I'm gonna sound like a world class * but  did you strip all four?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

348tripower

Quote from: "Rob"Here's one you have probably not seen before...

I'm getting ready to go to K'Zoo.  Being the paranoid individual I am, I was installing wheel locks to prevent my wheels from walking away @ night.
Somehow I didn't notice that my torque wrench was adjusted WAY up, and I managed to strip the internal "Key to the lock and now they won't come off.
The locks are the type with the unique internal configuration with a matching "key".  If it was the key that stripped, I could just get another one sent from the manufacturer, but it's the lug nut itself.  I'm thinking I may need to find a REALLY good TIG welder to spot weld the key onto the lug so I can turn it off, but I don't want to ruin my aluminum wheels.

Any thoughts?

So when are you coming thru.   I am just west of Ann Arbor and I have a bunch of the removal sockets.  I won't be available Thursday night and I am heading to Kazoo Friday AM . Maybe I  cam help.
Don
Don Colliau

rooster

could you possabilly get a small gringer in there carefully and make a couple of flat spots then use a cresent?

Uncle Bob

If it makes you feel any better you're not the first person to have a problem like this.

If you can't wait to get to 348, the old "trick" is to get a socket that just fits the outside of the "lock" lug, jam it on and then hit it with an impact wrench.  Then you can drive the lug out of the socket.  Use a thick wall socket if you've got it or it could split.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Rob

So when are you coming thru.   I am just west of Ann Arbor and I have a bunch of the removal sockets.  I won't be available Thursday night and I am heading to Kazoo Friday AM . Maybe I  cam help.
Don[/quote]

I'm heading out Friday AM, I think i'll just have to deal with it when I get back, although I'd better get a can of the "fix-a-flat stuff....just in case!

Rob

Quote from: "Uncle Bob"If it makes you feel any better you're not the first person to have a problem like this.

If you can't wait to get to 348, the old "trick" is to get a socket that just fits the outside of the "lock" lug, jam it on and then hit it with an impact wrench.  Then you can drive the lug out of the socket.  Use a thick wall socket if you've got it or it could split.

that's worth a try!

Rob

Quote from: "rooster"could you possabilly get a small gringer in there carefully and make a couple of flat spots then use a cresent?

I may try that first...thanks!

Rob

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Sounds like a reasonable way to me. I know I'm gonna sound like a world class * but  did you strip all four?

Charlie

Just two (front), then i figured out I was in a mess and left the regular lugs on the back..

Guess that means I'm half-stupid!

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Rob"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Sounds like a reasonable way to me. I know I'm gonna sound like a world class * but  did you strip all four?

Charlie

Just two (front), then i figured out I was in a mess and left the regular lugs on the back..

Guess that means I'm half-stupid!

Nah, I was just being a smart-*. Glad it was only two. Seems I've seen this discussion before and most of the fixes involved welding or beatings. See ya at Kzoo. I'll buy ya a beverage.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Fat Cat

You might try a tire shop. Some of them have a tool that is similar to a oil fliter wrench that will clamp down on the outside of the lug without using and heat or abrasives.

They use them to remove wheel locks when the owner either lost or never had the key.

oiler

At the dealer I work at we get them all the time.
the tools work ok if they're not too tight.
I use a air hammer with a razor sharp chisel
I also duct tape the wheel just in case I slip
the combo. of the chisel and the hammer blow has always worked
jeff

MrMopar64

Quote from: "Uncle Bob"the old "trick" is to get a socket that just fits the outside of the "lock" lug, jam it on and then hit it with an impact wrench.  Then you can drive the lug out of the socket.  Use a thick wall socket if you've got it or it could split.

This is how the wheel shops get them off when the customer has lost the key......... It's worked everytime I've had to do it...

Good Luck
MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

donsrods

Yep, the socket works. My kid looked at his custom wheels one day and there was a socket frozen on one of the locks. Evidently, some thief was at work and got scared away and left his tool behind.

Don

MrMopar64

Quote from: "Rob"Here's one you have probably not seen before...

Any thoughts?

Hey Rob
Don't feel bad....... YOU know why most of us can answer your post.....  :wink:  :wink:  :D  :D Been there done that!!!!

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol: