O/T-TV Remote Cntrl repair-anyone know?

Started by slocrow, April 10, 2004, 02:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Hi; Happy Easter to all. Does anybody have a clue on what I need to do to get the hand held controller to fire off more potently? I've got two with the same problem and my attempts to get them back on order has fallen short.
Both take a lot of pressure to get some of the individual buttons to respond. Some buttons responded better then others while some seemed unchanged from new, others wouldn't work at all, anymore. I opened both and found the numbered rubber pads carrying the numbers had a thin film of lube (for lack of a better term) between them and the printed circuit. I wiped it down feeling it was the interference, reassembled and proceeded to use the remote again with limited success. Maybe I pushed some of the lube where it hadn't been. In hind site I'm thinking that the lube may be more then just lube but actually dielectric grease and I pushed it around to achieve a modicum of effect which only improved the action slightly.
Any thoughts or instructional help is appreciated as I'm wearing out my fingers trying to change things on the most used buttons. Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

tomslik

Quote from: "slocrow"Hi; Happy Easter to all. Does anybody have a clue on what I need to do to get the hand held controller to fire off more potently? I've got two with the same problem and my attempts to get them back on order has fallen short.
Both take a lot of pressure to get some of the individual buttons to respond. Some buttons responded better then others while some seemed unchanged from new, others wouldn't work at all, anymore. I opened both and found the numbered rubber pads carrying the numbers had a thin film of lube (for lack of a better term) between them and the printed circuit. I wiped it down feeling it was the interference, reassembled and proceeded to use the remote again with limited success. Maybe I pushed some of the lube where it hadn't been. In hind site I'm thinking that the lube may be more then just lube but actually dielectric grease and I pushed it around to achieve a modicum of effect which only improved the action slightly.
Any thoughts or instructional help is appreciated as I'm wearing out my fingers trying to change things on the most used buttons. Thanks, Frank

quit watch TV and get the flock back out in the garage?

uhhh, i've ot the same problem....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Quote from: "slocrow"Hi; Happy Easter to all. Does anybody have a clue on what I need to do to get the hand held controller to fire off more potently? I've got two with the same problem and my attempts to get them back on order has fallen short.

Try sweet talking it. If that don't work, slap it around a little. It works on wives. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

slocrow

"get the flock back out in the garage?"
Tom, you sound like you've in cahots with those Muskegon boys. Everytime I try to get to the garage I trip over the honey-do list.

And Frank, does that work at your house? The slaping around thing. :roll:

Fat Cat

Quote from: "slocrow"And Frank, does that work at your house? The slaping around thing. :roll:

Only for her. For him it always leads to a lump on the back of his head.

Charlie Chops 1940

Mine said a long time ago that I could hit her but to be careful where I chose to go to sleep....

Get out in that garage or you'll be on the shoe leather express again this year!!! You knmow there are still buttons on the front of those TV's that you can get off yer deadend an touch or turn by hand.

When truck boy gets done with ya next week I may have to give you a couple more.....
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Sean

Tight-*... Throw the originals in a drawer somewhere and go buy a couple of those $4 universal remotes.

slocrow

Quote from: "Sean"Tight-*... Throw the originals in a drawer somewhere and go buy a couple of those $4 universal remotes.

So Sean, how long have you known my wife? Just kidding! :lol:
I stop in between washing cars. Check and chuckle at the responses which I share with her because they're funny and she says, "why waste their time, just buy some new universal ones".
I then come back in and read your like response.
Boy you got my number.......

Sean

Quote from: "slocrow"
Boy you got my number.......

Yeah, I know how you older fella's are. My Grandpa (82) will take just about anything apart and try to fix it. He had to get dentures a few years ago, and the very same day he got them, he was out in his shop grinding on them with a Dremel because they had some "High Spots". I don't think they have fit right since then either.... :roll:  :wink:

phat46

You have tried fresh batteries, right? that's what i do, then when that doesn't work i hand them to my wife and tell her we need a new one. She just takes them to work and gets another one..one of the perks of working for the cable co. The remotes don't seem to last very long..maybe that's because/why they're only $4  :D

58 Yeoman

The problem with universal remotes is that sometimes they don't have all the buttons needed.  My tv remote will operate the vcr, but doesn't have a 'record' button.  Same in the bedroom, the universal will control the tv and vcr, but doesn't have the timer control to shut off the tv. Oh well, such is life.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

slocrow

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"The problem with universal remotes is that sometimes they don't have all the buttons needed.  My tv remote will operate the vcr, but doesn't have a 'record' button.  Same in the bedroom, the universal will control the tv and vcr, but doesn't have the timer control to shut off the tv. Oh well, such is life.

Yes Yeoman, that's what I found out too. Not all the buttons. Kind of like the hotel room ones with no sleep button. That's when I have to get up, like Charlie suggests and go to the TV to select the proper item from the menu. That was also my point to the Mrs. but her hearing was already off.

Phat46; Yupper. new bats but that isn't it as some buttons work fine and those more heavely used seem slugish at best and not working at worst.

Mac

I had that problem with the remote for my Dish Network satellite system. They were more interested in new subscribers than my problems. I scored a new-in-the-box remote on Ebay for a fraction of what the Co. wanted.

Jack
Who\'s yer Data?

phat rat

What kind of lube have you spilled on it? Any of that stuff you use for yourself? Guess I can't add anything to your wifes or CC40s comments so I'll quit for now. :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

QuoteAnd Frank, does that work at your house? The slaping around thing.

Well, to be truthful, I never had the guts to try it myself, but my buddy with two black eyes says it works at his house. :twisted:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.