Power steering problem

Started by t-vicky, September 08, 2006, 06:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-vicky

Since I am a newby I guess I should intro myself. My name is Roger & Im an old carnut. I live around Wichita Ks. Had my first hot rod in 1957 and am still at it. Am retired from over 30 yrs. in the aircraft industry.  Have lost count of how many cars I have had over the yrs.  
 Have been lurking on this site for several years just soaking up the knowage. Now I have a problem that I have not seen before & am hoping someone can help with some info. I have a 65 Ford econoline PU with a 302 Ford engine.  The stock steering box bit the dust so I adapted a 79 Toyota 4X4 power box. Got the pump & brackets off a 80 F-150  Had to have the hoses made (4ft.long) used 250 lb. hydraulic hose. Worked good for about a month & then split the hose down the side. New hose. One more month & blows the crimped end off the hose. More new hose. 2 days ago it splits the hose down the side again. I am an old retired fart & cant afford to buy this many hoses. How much pressure is a power steering pump put out? It has been suggested that the Ford pump does not have a relief valve in it. (built in the box?)  Maybe I need to adapt a Toyota or GM pump onto my engine?  Has anyone had this problem with Ford pumps? Anyone help me on this?  Thanks, Roger

Varicam

Quote from: "t-vicky"Since I am a newby I guess I should intro myself. My name is Roger & Im an old carnut. I live around Wichita Ks. Had my first hot rod in 1957 and am still at it. Am retired from over 30 yrs. in the aircraft industry.  Have lost count of how many cars I have had over the yrs.  
 Have been lurking on this site for several years just soaking up the knowage. Now I have a problem that I have not seen before & am hoping someone can help with some info. I have a 65 Ford econoline PU with a 302 Ford engine.  The stock steering box bit the dust so I adapted a 79 Toyota 4X4 power box. Got the pump & brackets off a 80 F-150  Had to have the hoses made (4ft.long) used 250 lb. hydraulic hose. Worked good for about a month & then split the hose down the side. New hose. One more month & blows the crimped end off the hose. More new hose. 2 days ago it splits the hose down the side again. I am an old retired fart & cant afford to buy this many hoses. How much pressure is a power steering pump put out? It has been suggested that the Ford pump does not have a relief valve in it. (built in the box?)  Maybe I need to adapt a Toyota or GM pump onto my engine?  Has anyone had this problem with Ford pumps? Anyone help me on this?  Thanks, Roger

You need a pressure hose that can handle a much higher pressure.  Power steering hoses usually are rated for 2000+ psi.  I believe Ford pumps are around 600-800 psi, but  the peak pressure might be a lot higher.  GM pumps are around 1000-1200 psi.

t-vicky

Well, I will admit I found it hard to belive that power steering runs that much pressure.  Have been looking thur motor manuals & found an old one (1967) that tells about putting a pressure gauge on & testing. An old caddy will run over 1400 psi & a smaller car (Nova) 750-800 psi  Sorry for my disbelieving. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Will go for the new hose.  Thanks, Roger

donsrods

There are places around that will make up what ever hydraulic hoses you need. We get them made up for our big forklifts all the time, and the pressure on these is pretty high.

Look in the yellow pages under hydraulic stuff.

Don

Carnut