What ever it is it was free

Started by GPster, August 28, 2006, 03:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Quote from: "tomslik"you know the dist shaft HAS to be changed too, don't ya?
it' can't have 8 pointy things, only 6.
what io'm not sure of is if you can take the 6 cyl stuff off the shaft and put it on the v8 shaft..

I dug up a old one I had laying around and you guys would be right for sure, the revolving part of the reluctor comes in 6 or 8 "pointe things" Pictured !!!

I dont have any ideas on why the engine wont roll over, you did say you had the engine running before you got it right?

GPster

Quote from: "rooster"I dont have any ideas on why the engine wont roll over, you did say you had the engine running before you got it right?
No that was the engine before this one. I had oiled the cylinders last night and rotated the engine on the stand to pull the pan. After I got the pan off and everything looked good I walked away from it for a while. When I went back I put a bar to the damper and it broke loose without any ill effects. So it's free now. Some of the spark plugs had been broken off in the rolling it around to move it before I got it and there was an antifreeze stain on the electrode of one. There is no stain on any of the exhaust ports or valve stems but I think I'll do an air pressure test cylinder to water jacket. The pan was clean and clear so maybe, GPster

GPster

Quote from: "Rayvyn"Joe,I searched about 30 pages of Google for Chevy V6 casting #'s. The only thing I found was for Buick stuff.
For V-6 engine casting numbers look on the back of the engine block, at the top, where it bolts to the transmission. Take this number and call Chevrolet Customer Assistance at 1 800 222-1020 from 9-4 in Michigan, Eastern time.Hope this helps. :D
The number that the re-builder gave to identify the block ( -177- ) was cast into the side up-side-down near the engine mount bosses. None of the numbers that the same rebuilder used to identify the heads look anything like any numbers under the vale covers and that appears to be the only place on the heads that there are any numbers. I'll take the valve covers back off tomorrow and write down every number ( and the numbers on each head are different) and call them. Thanks for the information. I use "Best of the Web" because their name sounds closer to what I'm trying to do. GPster

GPster

The same number appears on both heads 14079248. The re-builder lists 248 for the head numbers for '85 and '86 so I'm going to assume that they are the stock style heads for the engine. After the engine broke loose and I got the cylinders oiled I can spin it by hand on the damper. I suppose the next step will be to pull the distributer and spin the oil pump to get fresh oil in the galleries. Got another appointment with a doctor tomorrow. They're all coming up with the diognosis that I'm depress (ed?) (ing?). GPster

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"The same number appears on both heads 14079248. The re-builder lists 248 for the head numbers for '85 and '86 so I'm going to assume that they are the stock style heads for the engine. After the engine broke loose and I got the cylinders oiled I can spin it by hand on the damper. I suppose the next step will be to pull the distributer and spin the oil pump to get fresh oil in the galleries. Got another appointment with a doctor tomorrow. They're all coming up with the diognosis that I'm depress (ed?) (ing?). GPster

Good luck with the doctor Joe.. When I finally came around enuff to have sue splain to me what the hell was going on she told me they had me on anti depressants (spelling) so i wouldnt freak out  :?:  Well I didnt but i sure had a lot of questions. I still learn about my experience every day :!:  I can say im not depressed though but im still far from being up to par. I need a project just to cure the lazyness. I did go out on the harley this evening but other than mowing the lawn last night which just about killed me (the most work ive done since I got out od the horsepistol)i sure am lazy.
Dave :lol:  :lol:

model a vette

The one piece rear seals, for 4.3s, started in 1986.
85-86 did not have roller cams.
85's had computer controlled distributors. You can make up a non-computer controlled distributor by swapping the guts from a 75-79 straight six distributor into a 75-79 V8 distributor. Don't try to use a 200 cu in V6 distributor as they are not even fire distributors.
I believe the '85 was the only 4.3 that used an electric Q-jet and a block mounted fuel pump. The fuel pumps look the same as a V8 pump but they are different. A V8 pump will leak oil if mounted on a V6 because the breather hole will be pointed down.
Ed

GPster

Thanks for the added information and it came at a good time so I didn't have to start a new topic. It's amazing how much better you can look at an engine on a stand rather than under a hood or as a pile on a garage floor. Tonights question:does a number stamped in the top of a piston (like 30?) mean that it is oversize? This engine has no ring grove and for a 1985 engine I find that hard to believe unless it's been bored and those numbers are in the center of the pistons. Also the number of the cylinder that the piston is in is stamped on the pistons. Maybe this is a re-built short block. The valves certainly look newish in the heads but the headbolt were so loose I could have broke them loose with a short handle 3/8" ratchet. I had a mechanic look at the cylinder that had water in it and the head and the gasket isn't blown but you can see where the water traveled because the gasket doesn't look like it ever sealed. I might shell out the $55.00 for a head set and put it back together. GPster

rooster

Here is a picture of Jr's 4.3 1991 piston out of his  s10 ! I see no numbers on the top its for sure the stock one. Hope this helps.

enjenjo

30 on the piston, usually means an overbore.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

openwheel65

Quote from: "enjenjo"30 on the piston, usually means an overbore.
[list=]
    its sometimes hard to see but it should say.030 if its oversize
[/list]
T-BUCKIT  NUT

GPster

Quote from: "model a vette"85's had computer controlled distributors. You can make up a non-computer controlled distributor by swapping the guts from a 75-79 straight six distributor into a 75-79 V8 distributor.
I believe the '85 was the only 4.3 that used an electric Q-jet and a block mounted fuel pump.
This further closes the gap that pretty much nails it as an '85. It had a fuel pump on it. The distributor has a vacuum advance on it. Do you think there is a modual (SP?) that I can put in it to keep me from taking 2 old distributos and combining them to make one old distributor? GPster

model a vette

If it has a vacuum can on it you can just change to the older (75-79) 4 pin module that has two pins on each end.
Ed

GPster

Quote from: "model a vette"If it has a vacuum can on it you can just change to the older (75-79) 4 pin module that has two pins on each end.
Out of curiosity I checked in NAPA's on-line catalog and looked at a '77 Chevy C10 pick-up. The 250 six and the 350 eight both use the same module. That almost seems to easy. Oh well I can clean parts for nothing while I'msaving money for a top end gasket set.This weekend is the "Stern Wheel Fesival" with a big fireworks show on the Ohio River that is visable from my front yard. People start arriving at 9:00 AM to stake out a good place to watch. The truck is sitting in the front yard with the For Sale sign on it. Maybe someone will buy it to have a place to sit. GPster