What ever it is it was free

Started by GPster, August 28, 2006, 03:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

OK the S10 Blazer that evaporated a few weeks ago left a little bit behind when the eviction was complete. I am now in possesion of a 4.3 liter V6. By the numbers on the block it appears to be a 1985 (-177-) and was intended to be a change over for that Blazer to do away with the computor controlled engine that had problems that nobody could figure out. This motor has a cast iron manifold on it for a Quadra-jet (or a throttle body ?) but the HEI distributor in the engine has 4 extra wires (2 black, 1 white and 1 green) all going to a single plug-in terminal block. This motor was clean and it might have been a runner because the removal of the Blazer engine had been started and it looks like this was the intended replacement. I quess I'll have to remove the valve covers to find the casting numbers on the heads because the outside surfaces are clear. Guesses, comments or experiences? This may make a more reasonable engine for the Jeepster than the 1979 4 bolt main 350. GPster

GPster

The latest addition. This engine does not have the one-piece rear main seal but there does not seem to be any balancers on the torque converter starter flex wheel. Just an observation because I read the cranks were of the one-piece seal variety. First year odd-ball? GPster

enjenjo

Just a guess, but I think 85 is about right for the year. The one piece rear main did not come until 1987. In 85, it would have had a feedback quadrajet, and a computer controlled HEI. There should be no vacuum advance if it's a computer controlled HEI.

Fitting a standard Quadrajet is no problem, but it may take some looking to find a non computer HEI to fit it. You may have to make one by combining a vacuum advance V8 HEI body with the V6 cap and distributor shaft.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"OK the S10 Blazer that evaporated a few weeks ago left a little bit behind when the eviction was complete. I am now in possesion of a 4.3 liter V6. By the numbers on the block it appears to be a 1985 (-177-) and was intended to be a change over for that Blazer to do away with the computor controlled engine that had problems that nobody could figure out. This motor has a cast iron manifold on it for a Quadra-jet (or a throttle body ?) but the HEI distributor in the engine has 4 extra wires (2 black, 1 white and 1 green) all going to a single plug-in terminal block. This motor was clean and it might have been a runner because the removal of the Blazer engine had been started and it looks like this was the intended replacement. I quess I'll have to remove the valve covers to find the casting numbers on the heads because the outside surfaces are clear. Guesses, comments or experiences? This may make a more reasonable engine for the Jeepster than the 1979 4 bolt main 350. GPster

Joe ill give you 75 bucks for the 4 bolt 350 :!:
Dave :lol:

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"OK the S10 Blazer that evaporated a few weeks ago left a little bit behind when the eviction was complete. I am now in possesion of a 4.3 liter V6. By the numbers on the block it appears to be a 1985 (-177-) and was intended to be a change over for that Blazer to do away with the computor controlled engine that had problems that nobody could figure out. This motor has a cast iron manifold on it for a Quadra-jet (or a throttle body ?) but the HEI distributor in the engine has 4 extra wires (2 black, 1 white and 1 green) all going to a single plug-in terminal block. This motor was clean and it might have been a runner because the removal of the Blazer engine had been started and it looks like this was the intended replacement. I quess I'll have to remove the valve covers to find the casting numbers on the heads because the outside surfaces are clear. Guesses, comments or experiences? This may make a more reasonable engine for the Jeepster than the 1979 4 bolt main 350. GPster

If you have a dizzy with Vacume Advance, you can trash the extra wires and get a module with 4 pins.

6 cyc hei w/VA can be found in VANS sometimes (Safari) comes to mind.

GPster

Quote from: "N8DC"Joe ill give you 75 bucks for the 4 bolt 350 :!:
Well I'm afraid I'd have to have a little more. I believe this is a Target motor as it was factory painted black and appeared to be newer and less miles than the '79 Chevy 2wd Blazer than it came out of. I had it running before I bought it but could tell it had cam/lifter problems. I partially tore it down and it showed no ring grove but had a flat cam lobe and a couple of lifters with-out bottoms. If it went it would have to go as a short block and the balance of the motor with a replacement cam and lifters, timing chain and sprocket and a gasket set. If your reply was other than a joke reconsider your offer. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "N8DC"Joe ill give you 75 bucks for the 4 bolt 350 :!:
Well I'm afraid I'd have to have a little more. I believe this is a Target motor as it was factory painted black and appeared to be newer and less miles than the '79 Chevy 2wd Blazer than it came out of. I had it running before I bought it but could tell it had cam/lifter problems. I partially tore it down and it showed no ring grove but had a flat cam lobe and a couple of lifters with-out bottoms. If it went it would have to go as a short block and the balance of the motor with a replacement cam and lifters, timing chain and sprocket and a gasket set. If your reply was other than a joke reconsider your offer. GPster

I was just messin with ya Joe.. Them are good engines. Im suprised it had cam/lifter problems? Maybe it was one with the soft cam in it but id think that  it would be new enuff not to.
Dave

58 Yeoman

I paid $25 for the '79 4 bolt 350 in my '58.  My neighbor was a junker, and he had the engine sitting in his backyard.  I offered him $25 for the Qjet carb, and he gave me the whole engine.  Of course, I had it rebuilt.  I don't run across deals like that often.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

GPster

Quote from: "N8DC"I was just messin with ya Joe.. Them are good engines. Im suprised it had cam/lifter problems? Maybe it was one with the soft cam in it but id think that  it would be new enuff not to. Dave
I thought so and it makes me feel good for someone to pay enough attention to me to even notice those off topic remarks. I'd say that the lifters went out because of a soft cam and I'd put any engine change to had to be done in the mid to late '80s. I've had it in the corner on an engine stand since '95 and the guy I bought it from ran it the way he bought it for 5 years. GPster

GPster

Quote from: "rooster"If you have a dizzy with Vacume Advance, you can trash the extra wires and get a module with 4 pins.6 cyc hei w/VA can be found in VANS sometimes (Safari) comes to mind.
Thanks for that little bit of information. Pulled the cap off the distributor tonight and now I know what to look for and what to call it. The big project for tomorrow is to figure out why it will only turn over 1/8 of a turn. The rotor moves a corresponding amount. Maybe this is why it was free but I'd rather go to sleep thinking that the nub on the flywheel face of the crank is hitting the engine stand. Time to go and see if anyone on the Ol' Skool site wants to buy my truck. GPster

rooster

Quote from: "rooster"If you have a dizzy with Vacume Advance, you can trash the extra wires and get a module with 4 pins.6 cyc hei w/VA can be found in VANS sometimes (Safari) comes to mind.
Thanks for that little bit of information. Pulled the cap off the distributor tonight and now I know what to look for and what to call it. The big project for tomorrow is to figure out why it will only turn over 1/8 of a turn. The rotor moves a corresponding amount. Maybe this is why it was free but I'd rather go to sleep thinking that the nub on the flywheel face of the crank is hitting the engine stand. Time to go and see if anyone on the Ol' Skool site wants to buy my truck. GPster

Im not a 100% on this but I think you can convert a v8 hei by changing the reluctor and the module(4 pin in your case). The reluctor is not labeled in this picture , but its the thing sitting on top the pickup coil! The one showen is 8 cyc, a 6 cyc would have 6 points, I believe the shaft a gear are the same.

Dave

Quote from: "N8DC"I was just messin with ya Joe.. Them are good engines. Im suprised it had cam/lifter problems? Maybe it was one with the soft cam in it but id think that  it would be new enuff not to. Dave
I thought so and it makes me feel good for someone to pay enough attention to me to even notice those off topic remarks. I'd say that the lifters went out because of a soft cam and I'd put any engine change to had to be done in the mid to late '80s. I've had it in the corner on an engine stand since '95 and the guy I bought it from ran it the way he bought it for 5 years. GPster

Joe even though sometimes I dont reply I do read all of your posts. Youve got some interesting ideas!
Dave :lol:  :lol:

tomslik

you know the dist shaft HAS to be changed too, don't ya?
it' can't have 8 pointy things, only 6.
what io'm not sure of is if you can take the 6 cyl stuff off the shaft and put it on the v8 shaft..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

Well it wasn't the crank hitting the engine stand so I pulled the pan off. Everything looks in place and there's no schrapnil laying around so I'll have to wait for a better set of eyes to come by. This thing has been apart before by the looks of the amount of silicone on the gaskets but it hasn't been that long ago because the gaskets separate freely. The heads have been off but neither of them have the same numbers on them. Can anyone point me to a guide for casting numbers on heads that would tell me which numbers they are and a directory of what they are. The directory I used for the block was on a re-builders site and their head directory is not all that concise. GPster

Rayvyn

Quote from: "GPster"Well it wasn't the crank hitting the engine stand so I pulled the pan off. Everything looks in place and there's no schrapnil laying around so I'll have to wait for a better set of eyes to come by. This thing has been apart before by the looks of the amount of silicone on the gaskets but it hasn't been that long ago because the gaskets separate freely. The heads have been off but neither of them have the same numbers on them. Can anyone point me to a guide for casting numbers on heads that would tell me which numbers they are and a directory of what they are. The directory I used for the block was on a re-builders site and their head directory is not all that concise. GPster

Joe,
I searched about 30 pages of Google for Chevy V6 casting #'s. The only thing I found was for Buick stuff.
For V-6 engine casting numbers look on the back of the engine block, at the top, where it bolts to the transmission. Take this number and call Chevrolet Customer Assistance at 1 800 222-1020 from 9-4 in Michigan, Eastern time.
Hope this helps. :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...