Trans Brakes?

Started by Daveyboy, August 17, 2006, 09:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveyboy

Ok some one tell me about a Trans Brake?
What does it do?
What are they for? :?:  :oops:  :(U)

EMSjunkie

Drag racers use them alot.
not sure 'zactly how they work :?
but me thinks its sumpthin' to do with line pressures.

Crosley will prolly straighten us out here in a minit :P

what do I know, I just work here :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Most of them apply two gears at once, but there are external brakes too. The purpose is to allow you to get the engine up to stall speed without the car creeping.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Daveyboy

dont they have some type of front brake lock so you can do burn outs?
That just hold the front brakes?
Or is that something diff?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Daveyboy"dont they have some type of front brake lock so you can do burn outs?
That just hold the front brakes?
Or is that something diff?

That would be a Line Loc. You CAN slide the front wheels through the lights, from experience.

Daveyboy

Ok!!
I think a line lock is what i want to put in the 32.
Where would i buy one?
And can you show me how it would be plumbed in?

kb426

It puts the trans in first and reverse at the same time. This allows you to pull up to the rated rpm of a convertor for a good launch. However, the driveline shock is the same as a standard trans so if you are worried about broken parts, don't use one. The only place I've seen them has been the dragstrip where the rules dictate good axles, safety straps, etc.
TEAM SMART

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "kb426"if you are worried about broken parts, don't use one.  .

I always thought if ya ain't breakin' parts, ya ain't drivin' it hard enough :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

phat rat

with a trans brake you can do things like this
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

tranz brakes are used in many drag  type racing  from mud , asphalt , monster trucks.

We had tranz brakes in some monster trucks.  Not sure if they are still used today.  You cannot stab the throttle wide open on a 1700 hp alcohol motor against the tranz brake.  Torque Converter does not like it at all.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Daveyboy"Ok!!
Where would i buy one?

A line lock is plumbed into the front brake line. You push down on the pedal, and activate the line lock, then release the brake. The front brakes will remain applied until you release the line lock button.

tomslik

btw, if you have a car capable of picking up the front wheels, DO NOT forget to let off the line loc.....'bout took out the tree once... :oops:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Daveyboy"Ok!!
Where would i buy one?

A line lock is plumbed into the front brake line. You push down on the pedal, and activate the line lock, then release the brake. The front brakes will remain applied until you release the line lock button.

I used the line-loc on the rear wheels of my 1970 Chevelle that was front wheel drive.

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

SKR8PN

A line lock is used ONLY when you do a burnout. They will let the front tires push thru the beams if you are trying to stage at a higher rpm.
Line loc used here:

A transbrake uses a solenoid to electrically apply reverse while the shifter and trans are in first gear(low). The car is "locked" into position and can not roll.  I also use a "two step" rev control in conjunction with the transbrake. The  two step allows you to control the upper rpm limit(trap rpm)and the lower (launch) rpm. When I set my transbrake,it applies the lower rpm chip(launch rpm) which allows me to (A) stage the car (B) set the transbrake) then (C) put my foot to the floor until the christmas tree comes down. The engine will not rev any higher than the chip I have installed in the two step. I launch the Daytona at anywhere from 4500 to 5000 rpm.  That picture of the Jeep is good example of how hard a car will launch off of a transbrake and a two step. And ya better have a GOOD torque converter,drive shaft,u-joints and rearend with a trans brake!! If you don't......you WILL find the weak link.
This a street driven car,leaving off a "brake" :shock:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Daveyboy

I want to just have some burn out  FUN!!
So it looks like a line lock is what i need.