O/T - Question for N./S. Carolina folks

Started by Bob Paulin, August 14, 2006, 06:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Paulin

A number of years ago, I looked into moving to North Carolina. Didn't do it. Sorta' thinking now that maybe I shoulda'

NOW, my brother-in-law has retired from New England to the Myrtle Beach area, and every time I speak with him, he praises South Carolina.

Got me thinking seriously again....especially when he tells me he has NOT had an electric bill over $90 - which includes his heat AND A/C.

Last month - here in Maine - I paid over $200 electric due to the heat wave, and I'll be paying about $5,000 for oil to heat my house and shop this winter.

Anybody from either of the Carolinas willing to trade e-mails?

I've looked into the SOuth Carolina Homestead tax bill, and I cannot believe I would be paying around $50 (YES, FIFTY DOLLARS) for the same value house that I now pay $1,200/year.

I'm sorta' thinking maybe living in SOuth Carolina on the border with North Carolina will give me the best of both worlds, but I don't really know.

I'm wondering about the common things....

How much are houses?

Are there decent houses with decent detached shops available?

What are taxes like?

I'm pretty sure I could pick up some part-time stuff in racing, but are there any rodding opportunities?

What are the downsides of living in the Carolinas - besides hurricanes?

I've got a bunch more.....

In order to not clutter the forum up, please respond to me via e-mail at.....

race AT gwi DOT net  

(Replace AT and DOT with appropriate punctuation)

Thanks!

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Deuce

:D

I live in South Carolina ... and have for most of my life. When I was not in SC .. I was in North Carolina  :)

I have lived in the upstate ( Greenville )
I lived in the Low country ( Charleston )
I now live in the middle of the state ( The Capitol )

I am 58 so I lived in each place 15 to 20 years.

I have two brick houses in Greenville SC within a mile of Interstate 85 ... for sale ... one with a 40x60 steel shop and the other with a 1500 square foot basement ....

I will email you ..
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Slick 50

Hi Bob,

We live in Greenville SC and have for the past 20 years and won't live any where else. We love it here.

I'd be happy to help in any way I can to fill in some blanks.

Make a deal with Randy.

There's a bunch of automotive related industry here. Michelin North American Headquarters, BMW plant in Spartanburg, A brand new Automotive Research Park (sponsored by all the biggies in the area and in cahoots with Clemson University.
There's some hotrodding in the area, but there's always room for one more. There's some local dirt track racing and NASCAR is just up/down the road

Here's a link to our Performing Arts Center www.peacecenter.org

and the city site www.greatergreenville.com

Lakes and mountains nearby. 4 hours or so to Myrtle beach, 10 hours to Daytona
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

donsrods

For a year we lived in Winston-Salem NC, and loved it.  The weather is temperate, the people are great, and the cost of living was reasonable.

I retire in a year and a half, and am probably going to leave Florida because of the influx of too many people from "other countries" and the general crowdedness of the place, and am considering some small town in NC or SC to move to.  I figure when I get to some town that has a phone book that is about a half inch thick, I'm settling down there.

Don

Deuce

heres the link to Greenville Pickens Speedway

http://www.greenvillepickens.com/home.asp

They run NASCAR races there ...

slocrow

Hey wait a minute boys! Don't put all that Carolina info into personal e mails. I also would like too see the info.
My wife and I have been talking about a Carolina move too. She already has some info about the Hendersonville, NC area, near Ashville.
I won't handle hurricanes either so it's inland for me and Florida, although nice, is just switching pants, with that Summer heat.
What's this reference to a homestead act in SC and does NC have anything similar.
I'm getting really tired of these Northern (stick it to um) taxes and heating bills..........Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Deuce

:lol:

Wait a minute ...
We do not want ALL you D@^* YANKEES moving down here ...
We will not have anyone left up north to make FUN OF ...
 :)  :)

There is a strong exodus of folks from the North coming South already ... because of the lower cost of living. New Cars and a few things are the same all across the nation but the North/South Carolina states are different than most places. It takes the states of South Carolina, North Carolina and most of Georgia just to equal the population of Los Angeles county.

Lots of land left ... acres and acres undeveloped.
From Columbia ... my home  ... I can be in the Smokey Mountains or on the beach in 2 hours ... in opposite directions. There are 6 or 7 NASCAR cup race tracks within a half days drive ...

Daytona Turkey Run, The Nationals in Louisville, Carlisle and Hershey, Pigeon Forge Myrtle Beach are all a easy drive in less than a day.

We have lots of deer, fishing is great and lots of watersports available. The ACC is right in the middle of SC.

phat rat

Quote from: "slocrow"Hey wait a minute boys! Don't put all that Carolina info into personal e mails. I also would like too see the info.
My wife and I have been talking about a Carolina move too. She already has some info about the Hendersonville, NC area, near Ashville.
I won't handle hurricanes either so it's inland for me and Florida, although nice, is just switching pants, with that Summer heat.
What's this reference to a homestead act in SC and does NC have anything similar.
I'm getting really tired of these Northern (stick it to um) taxes and heating bills..........Frank

NO No No Frank, you couldn't be part of the Cleveland mob if you did that :lol:  :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Deuce":lol:

Wait a minute ...
We do not want ALL you D@^* YANKEES moving down here ...
We will not have anyone left up north to make FUN OF ...
 :)  :)

Ya'all stay on that side of the "river"........ its too danged hot over on this side :lol:

besides, our BBQ would probably kill ya :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"Hey wait a minute boys! Don't put all that Carolina info into personal e mails. I also would like too see the info.
]

Sorry frank but i duno if your smart nuff to learn a 2nd language buddy.
You could prolly do the move ok financially but unless you get up every day and learn to say I Rectum and Yall I just think its money down the terlit.
Im sure the weather is nice there but a coon hunter your not. Do you even own a dog?  Lemme guess he ran away and is now livin with some homeless people :!:
Think about it. We want the best for you :lol:
Dave

donsrods

Oh, and as icing on the cake, when we lived in NC I also discovered something else I had not been used to in Pennsylvania.  Rustfree old cars, and a pretty good supply of them.  It might have changed, but it was that way in 1980.

Don

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "N8DC"
]

unless you get up every day and learn to say I Rectum and Yall I just think its money down the terlit.

Dave

And just what is that supposed to mean :?
it ain't us that talk funny, its ya'all :lol:

'course, on "that" side of the river, there is some funny stuff goin' on :shock:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Fat Cat

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"it ain't us that talk funny, its ya'all :lol:

Vance

Vance I showed this message to my wife. She says you spelled y'all incorrectly.  :oops: She says you must do penance or you can no longer call yourself a Texan. Any self-respecting Texan should know how to write y'all.  :ha)

ice1272

Frank I have lived in Hendersonville N.C. for about ten years and work in Asheville. I like Hendersonville but land is no longer cheap, and houses are going up by hugh leaps. The average 3/2 house is going for around $250,000. An acre around 25-35. The real down side to all of this is, truth be known, the native (north carolinians) absoultey resent Northerns and Floridians and they are pretty vocal about it. Floridians are known as Floridiots or Halfbacks, meaning you left the north went to florida and only made it half way back!

Before anyone asks I've stayed this long because the wife has family here and generally I do like the place, although you have to be able to deal with the few prejudices that are still around, so if you move here just be prepared.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "EMSjunkie"it ain't us that talk funny, its ya'all :lol:

Vance

Vance I showed this message to my wife. She says you spelled y'all incorrectly.  :oops: She says you must do penance or you can no longer call yourself a Texan. Any self-respecting Texan should know how to write y'all.  :ha)

Sorry, I'm a transplant, I'm Texan  by association :oops:

penance has begun :wink:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders