Hole in block 351 windsor

Started by ice1272, August 13, 2006, 11:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice1272

a friend of mine gave me a 1969 351 windsor 2bl motor. The engine was running when pulled out of a Galaxy about eight years ago. Since I needed a motor for my Model A I took it home and tore into it. My friend who I absolutely trust in everyway insisted the engine ran great when he pulled it out of the car. However I found a dime size hole  :cry: behind the Distributer in the valley where the lifters are, I felt this block was a goner. However looking around on ebay I have seen at least two sbf blocks with nearly the same hole, is this a flaw or not :? ? The hole is not regular shape as if it had been drilled but looks like something went through it?

donsrods

Trying to envision which hole you are talking about, but there are various holes in there, like oil drain holes, etc.

Take a picture and post it.  But I have the feeling this hole is not a defect.

Don

ice1272

Here's a picture of the hole in the block . Thanks for the suggestion Don.

EMSjunkie

Kinda looks like an oil drain back to me :?

looks like somebody "opened up" a drain back, pretty common
pratice for a SBC. but I dunno about SBF's

hopefully someone with more Ford experience than I will chime in

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

jaybee

Kinda ragged looking for a factory-cast hole but it doesn't appear as if it should go anywhere except into the timing cover area, is that the case?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

ice1272

I believe that is where the holes lead to but not sure Ill go check. Here's two pictures I got off the web showing the same hole I guess its suppose to be there , but like you said it looks ragged as H*^%!

Chris

ice1272

Here's the second one

donsrods

ice1272

Thanks Don, now my next question what is the hole for and why did'nt Ford due for the lack of a better word, a prettier job ?

kb426

It's a normal hole but other than possibly oiling the timing chain, I would be clueless as to why. The oil level in the valley has to be substanial before any runs out. The timing chains primary oil source is the spray from the front cam bearing.
TEAM SMART

Dave

Quote from: "kb426"It's a normal hole but other than possibly oiling the timing chain, I would be clueless as to why. The oil level in the valley has to be substanial before any runs out. The timing chains primary oil source is the spray from the front cam bearing.

Well maybe they put it there just because :?:
Dave

donsrods

Quote from: "ice1272"Thanks Don, now my next question what is the hole for and why did'nt Ford due for the lack of a better word, a prettier job ?

Really don't know, but it probably has something to do with the casting process. Plus, there is no real need to dress it up or shape it differently.  I have never really thought much about them, but now that you mention it, I have seen these on every sbf I have ever played with.

If a guy wanted to be really cool he could deburr some of the loose slag off of them, just to keep anything from ending up in the pan, but I have never heard of this being an issue or problem.

Don

ice1272

Well I appreciate all the information and Im glad that I've got a motor I can probably use. :b-d:

Chris

Jokester

On a related note, a hole has been discovered in a nearby town.  Police are looking into it!

Ha.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

ram-rod

during the casting prosess the hole provides a place to hold the sand core stable during the pour  so the new block will have a void for the timing chain  and the liffter webbing
when they are casting so many they have to be put together quickly and accuratly not pretty  

pretty comes when they machine the important bits
Dodge Brothers the Masochist\'s Marque
where pain and suffering is in a rusty art form   :(D)