Any #974 updates before Bonneville?

Started by 54stude, July 27, 2006, 07:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54stude

Thanks in advance to the whole "glad to be here" team for bringing us the #974 updates online!
Thanks,
Brian

1FATGMC

Quote from: "54stude"Thanks in advance to the whole "glad to be here" team for bringing us the #974 updates online!
Thanks,
Brian

I haven't put 2006 changes to the car yet on my web site, but probably will when I get back from the salt.  I've been telling those guys to take pictures, but they don't listen to me  :cry: .

John (WZJUNK - Missouri) is at Hooley's today in OK.  They are putting (trying) the NASCAR roof flap into the car that John has been working on.  John has also made larger "skirts" to go behind the rear wheel below the quarter panel.

Hooley has been making places to add weight if we need it and wycer bills for the spoiler in case we need them.  He has also been overhauling the suspension so just in case the course is rough again he might be able to go straight.

John and Jerry got a big plate of steel I believe that was 3/4's inch thick and have cut it up into squares/rectangles that will fit into the weight pockets Hooley put into the car.  I think we now have a little over 1000 lbs. of weight we can add if needed.

Hooley has also added to the Innovate wide band data logging so we can now data log air/fuel, rpm, boost, throttle position, EGT, and acceleration.  I also got a second EGT gauge that is mounted on the dash so Hooley can see it during the run.  All the other data we can only look at after the run.

Hooley also added a funny car type addition to the cage so he is in there now with no movement.

The motor has been run a couple times and once on the dyno as reported before.  There are probably other smaller things that I have forgot about.

One was I just made and sent Hooley a battery box for us to use for the data logging.  I didn't like the idea of it being on the car battery with no charging system.  The car doesn't need a battery with the mag, but it uses it to start and for the elect. water pump.  I worried about it going down if we had starting problems on the line and then not getting a good voltage to the data logging computer.  I made the box with a relay in it so that if the car's power is shut off in an emergency the 14.4 volts from the drill battery is also shut off.  We wanted to make sure we meet the rules on that.

Two weeks from right now we should be in Wendover.  They are planning on getting to my place late on Tuesday a week from next Tuesday.

If we can run 233 before someone else in our class (right now it looks like no one is in our class this year) Hooley will have a record and be in the 2 Club :D .

Not long now,

Sum

Charlie Chops 1940

All good news Sum. Man, I am excited.

I just did a tuneup on my old 8mm SONY video camera. Bought one new battery and salvaged one old one as back up. Took some video in the shop tonight and played it back on the shop TV. This camera is so old it doesn't have a playback screen...how antique is that?

So, I am set up to do video at the 3mile per John's request. Alll we'll need is a small TV to play back on...I think Kenny has one in the camper. I think we're good to go.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

54stude

Sounds great.  Good luck to all of you!  

Hopefully we will see a red hat on Hooley this year.

I cant wait to see how you do.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"All good news Sum. Man, I am excited.

I just did a tuneup on my old 8mm SONY video camera. Bought one new battery and salvaged one old one as back up. Took some video in the shop tonight and played it back on the shop TV. This camera is so old it doesn't have a playback screen...how antique is that?

So, I am set up to do video at the 3mile per John's request. Alll we'll need is a small TV to play back on...I think Kenny has one in the camper. I think we're good to go.

Charlie

Not long till you guys are here.  Are we going to have to send that video in to be "developed" before we can watch it 8) .

You guys have fun in L'ville and drive safely,

Sum

Charlie Chops 1940

Well - almost Sum.

I'd like a backup in the form of one of those whiz-band digital moving picture cams but can't afford one right now. Fixed income, and all.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

I like the changes, expecially the roll cage one. I wish nascar would adopt the funny car cage. Look at the history of pro stockers accidents before and after the cage change.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "54stude"Thanks in advance to the whole "glad to be here" team for bringing us the #974 updates online!
Thanks,
Brian

Hooley and I, with the help of some friends, worked on the car today.  I finished up some rear skirts and we spent about 5 hours weighing the car and moving weight around.  We working on getting the car balance left to right and the right ratio front to back.  We also tried to figure how adding more weight once we are at Bonneville will affect the car.  We have data now but I am not sure that we know what we have. :D

We are ready. :!:

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH