Cowl Vent Seal

Started by 41woodie, July 22, 2006, 01:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Getting ready to install a cowl vent seal on a 40 ford, is "gorilla snot" still the adhesive of choice or would I be better off to set it in a bead of silicon.  Or ???

tom36

Quote from: "41woodie"Getting ready to install a cowl vent seal on a 40 ford, is "gorilla snot" still the adhesive of choice or would I be better off to set it in a bead of silicon.  Or ???

Gorilla snot ( chances are at 60mph in a rainstorm the cowl vent will leak anyhow.)  :roll:   Tom..

C9

Gorilla Snot, Yellow Death, 3M Weather Strip Cement . . . all same stuff.

I used 3M on my 32 cowl vent gasket in 1993.
No leaks yet.
The gasket seals well and in fact if you wash the car and open the vent a couple days later water that's down in the channel will come inside.

No leaks in rainstorms either.
All day in light to moderate rains didn't bother it and short trips in heavy storms don't make it leak either.

I think the gasket is a Bob Drake item.
Looks to be a closed cell foam, dark gray in color.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Charlie Chops 1940

Black 3M cement on the cowl seal on my '40 Chevy in about 1990. Has never leaked...wish I could say the same about the urethaned w/s glass.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

papastoyss

Only bad thing about 3M is I've had it to pull paint off when I had to remove w/strip later .Silicone should work good for a cowl vent seal, my 47 Ford coupe has Drake seal w/a dab of black silicone & doesn't leak. AT least not there!!!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Pep

Fairly opportune post...I am about to set mine into the 37...but it looks like the lip around the lid sits on top of the seal. Makes it stick up a bit. Is that normal. I was ponderin the get a razor blade and slice a small section out so the lid closes flush.
See Ya
Pep

C9

If you have the somewhat soft medium-dark colored closed cell foam it should squish down just fine.

Give it a try before you slice it or glue it in.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

41woodie

with my question.  Well now the seal is in place with black 3m.  I probably used too much and had the stuff smeared everywhere but the seal is in.  Now the problem is adjusting the lid so that it closes completely.  I can't seem to get the front middle to pull down into the seal.  Leaving for Americruise tomorrow so will continue to fuss with it on my return.  If it rains, no doubt it will leak, but I hate to give up and seal the vent as I really like to use them when possible.  Anybody have an insight into adjusting them.

41woodie

I don't know why I'm so worried about the cowl vent seal on the new truck, I just washed it before leaving for Americruise and the windshield seal leaks worse than the cowl vent.  Hmmm

Pep

Quote from: "41woodie"with my question.  Well now the seal is in place with black 3m.  I probably used too much and had the stuff smeared everywhere but the seal is in.  Now the problem is adjusting the lid so that it closes completely.  I can't seem to get the front middle to pull down into the seal.  .

Well it seems we have the same problem then I guess...let me know if it settles down by itself or you do some surgery
See Ya
Pep

Pep

Quote from: "C9"If you have the somewhat soft medium-dark colored closed cell foam it should squish down just fine.

Give it a try before you slice it or glue it in.

It's the stuff from Bob Drake. Seems fairly hard, not soft sponge. I have had it in for a few weeks with the vent closed on top of it and there is no change.
See Ya
Pep

Beep

:shock:  * guys,,,what a name for a sealant. I mean I've heard of Granulated Gorilla Grunt, but LMAO,,,,nevr Gorilla snot.

2rods

You will have to take a thin slice off it to make it fit flush. On my 35 I ground mine with a sander before it was installed.