Anyone know turn signals?

Started by 48ford, July 21, 2006, 09:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Hi,
I have a problem with the 91 town car turn signals.
The left side works fine,the right side won't blink!OK easy fix,burnt out bulb,nope flip the lever and the lights(front and back and dash light up,but wil not blink.)The other side is fine,works like it is made to do.
Any Ideas?
Thanks Russ&Irene :(

tomslik

Quote from: "48ford"Hi,
The left side works fine,the right side won't blink!OK easy fix,burnt out bulb,nope flip the lever and the lights(front and back and dash light up,but wil not blink.)The other side is fine,works like it is made to do.
Any Ideas?

put a flasher in it.
they'll do that sometimes
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Jokester

Quote from: "48ford"Hi,
Any Ideas?

I'd bet it's a bulb.  If one side flashes the flasher is ok.  You may have more than one bulb per corner of the car.  If any are out they won't flash.  Check the side markers and check multiple bulbs in each tail and park light.

my 2 cents.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

PeterR

QuoteI'd bet it's a bulb.
.bjb

Yep, and so do I.   Check the bulbs are the correct wattage.  If a low wattage taillight bulb has been used then the load will not be enough to operate the flasher.

wvcab

the best way to cheack the bulbs is using the 4 way flasher... not sure, but iirc, the town car used a lcm( lighting control module) and it is under the dash a little to the  right of the accelerator pedal.

Crosley.In.AZ

I do not mean to hi-jack the thread.......

I just read an article in a transmision mag about Ford F-150 converter lock-up problems, late 1990's truck was involved .  

The problem was the ECM show'd the brake lights were ON... they were not. Yet the torque converter clutch was not functioning because the ECM 'thought' the brakes were applied

After ALL checks done , the problem was the customer had switched to LED type bulbs.  The LED bulbs did NOT provide enough resistance in the brake light circuit for the ECM to see the brakes were NOT applied.

Ford uses some goofy wire design that checks for resistance in the circuit for the ECM to know the brake lights are ON or OFF.

When brakes are applied the system un-locks the converter clutch.

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

48ford

I got the turn signals working again.
It was a bulb in the rear. The car has two bulbs on each side and one was out. I knew I had one bulb and did not think i needed both to make it work,
Later Russ