Wide Whites on the 63 - yay or nay?? pics

Started by jakesbackyard, April 06, 2004, 09:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesbackyard

I got the Galaxie out of storage this weekend and tonight after doing some get ready for cruising work on it...I'm sitting back with a cold one, looking at it and then the A project. I've always wondered what wide whites would look like on the 63 so I swap one front one off the A and slip it on the Galaxie. I'm not sure...I started three years ago with blacks, last year put the skinny whites out....I love wide whites, but 63 is the kind of the year skinnies came around....What do you think?
Jake

purplepickup

I started driving in '63 and you're right....skinny whites were on most of our parents cars then.   With the need to be different, and influenced by drag racing, we HAD to have blackwalls.  I still like that look on that era cars.  I think the pics of the '63 on your website look good.  But then, I don't wear white socks much and most of my t-shirts are black.  It probably means something but I don't know what.

Dang, everytime I visit your site I have to click on the link to the trackside autobody site to see what's new.  He does some good airbrushing. :D
George

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "jakesbackyard"I got the Galaxie out of storage this weekend and tonight after doing some get ready for cruising work on it...I'm sitting back with a cold one, looking at it and then the A project. I've always wondered what wide whites would look like on the 63 so I swap one front one off the A and slip it on the Galaxie. I'm not sure...I started three years ago with blacks, last year put the skinny whites out....I love wide whites, but 63 is the kind of the year skinnies came around....What do you think?

I vote the skinnies.  They look good on these, are cheaper, and probably less problematic with discolouring and cracking etc.

58 Yeoman

63 1/2 is my favorite Ford; I had a solid black one in HS, but with blackwalls and chrome reverse. I like the narrow better, as it is what was out at the time, and seems to fit the car.  But, it's your car, and you can do whatever pleases you.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

dynaflo

I think the thinnies work better...Always loved that model!!

Love the car....I'm going to go against the tide....The wide whites look awesome with the white top.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

47wood

Of the 2, the thin ones look best.  IMHO a reverse chrome rim w/baby moon cap and a blackwall tire represents the coolest of the era.  But it's your car ...please yourself. :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

enjenjo

In April of 64, I bought a 62 Impala SS convertible. I bought 4 new Sears 1" whitewalls for it, I was king. In September, I bought 4 chrome reversed wheels for it, turm\ned the whitewalls in, and never looked back. The only whitewalls I had since them, in 73 or so, Sears was closing out their 3" whitewalls, they had them on sale, 4 for $69, your choice of size. I had a 69 SS 396 at the time, so a pair of L78 15s, and a pair ofF78 14s seemed about right, just turn the whitewalls in. My brother came over while I was getting ready to mount them, and started ragging about my whitewalls, so I mounted them whitewalls out. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jakesbackyard

Thanks for the input. Pretty much how I looked at it also. I may try and drive the tread off the tires this summer and go with blacks again next year!

The 63 fast back I had as a senior in high school (1968) had black wheels, skinny whites, baby moons and Olds trim rings till the next summer and I could afford chrome reverse with moons from Sears (!) and black walls.

History can repeat every once in a while.

Ain't old cars funnnnnn!!
Jake

Sean

Personally, I don't like wide white's, skinny white's, or even white letters. Blackwall is the only way to go..... but thats just my opinion.

Jimc

Quote from: "enjenjo"In April of 64, I bought a 62 Impala SS convertible. I bought 4 new Sears 1" whitewalls for it, I was king. In September, I bought 4 chrome reversed wheels for it, turm\ned the whitewalls in, and never looked back. The only whitewalls I had since them, in 73 or so, Sears was closing out their 3" whitewalls, they had them on sale, 4 for $69, your choice of size. I had a 69 SS 396 at the time, so a pair of L78 15s, and a pair ofF78 14s seemed about right, just turn the whitewalls in. My brother came over while I was getting ready to mount them, and started ragging about my whitewalls, so I mounted them whitewalls out. :lol:
Not like this?
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

enjenjo

QuoteNot like this?

That's what was on it when I got it, looked old fashioned to me, so I installed the 1" whitewalls, so it looked like the new cars. I can still remember dad giving me heck for spending an extra $12 to get white walls. And then a few months later when I turned them in, it started all over again.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

bombcan

Quote from: "jakesbackyard"I got the Galaxie out of storage this weekend and tonight after doing some get ready for cruising work on it...I'm sitting back with a cold one, looking at it and then the A project. I've always wondered what wide whites would look like on the 63 so I swap one front one off the A and slip it on the Galaxie. I'm not sure...I started three years ago with blacks, last year put the skinny whites out....I love wide whites, but 63 is the kind of the year skinnies came around....What do you think?

I guess I'll go against the tide on this one, too.   I like the wide whites.  That body style looks good with whites and the rear dropped slightly.......one clean looking cruiser.

When I purchased my 50 Ford it had brand new skinny whites turned in. I had them turned white side out and it brightened the car up alot.

But like has been said, it's your car I say do what you want (except white letters!)

Rob

Jimc

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteNot like this?

That's what was on it when I got it, looked old fashioned to me, so I installed the 1" whitewalls, so it looked like the new cars. I can still remember dad giving me heck for spending an extra $12 to get white walls. And then a few months later when I turned them in, it started all over again.
Same car as above, different wheel/tire combo.
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

mrloboy

Hey Jim!

Love em both! Mess with their minds; Wides on one side and skinnies on the other.  :?  

I agree that the skinnies are a little more period perfect and the wides almost make the wheels/tires look too large, but hey, your '63 is sweet wearing any combo!

Just my thoughts!  Rick