Putting a Big Block ford in a Model A 1929 coupe

Started by ice1272, July 17, 2006, 12:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice1272

I have a 1929 Model A coupe that Im hotrodding, I know its popular to put chevys in a Model A, but I want to put a Big Block Ford in my coupe, anybody done it..I have never seen one?

donsrods

Now that you mention it, neither have I seen one.  Biggest obstacle would be the length, then width, and finally, the weight. They are great engines, but are just BIG.

I guess it has been done, but I don't ever even remember any magazine articles on this.  Someone on here may have more experience with this swap, and will post if so.  I would think even a boxed stock frame would be marginal due to weight and HP.

I'm putting my very first small block Chevy into a T I am building, and see why everybody uses them..........these things are just plain compact.

Don

tomslik

Quote from: "donsrods"Now that you mention it, neither have I seen one.  Biggest obstacle would be the length, then width, and finally, the weight. They are great engines, but are just BIG.

I guess it has been done, but I don't ever even remember any magazine articles on this.  Someone on here may have more experience with this swap, and will post if so.  I would think even a boxed stock frame would be marginal due to weight and HP.

I'm putting my very first small block Chevy into a T I am building, and see why everybody uses them..........these things are just plain compact.

Don

used to be a twin turbo'd one out of kansas in an A roadster that would show up here at some of the runs but i havent seen it in years....

nothing fit under the hood;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "tomslik"

used to be a twin turbo'd one out of kansas in an A roadster that would show up here at some of the runs but i havent seen it in years....

nothing fit under the hood;)

Hey Tom, speaking of Kansas, they are having a rod run in Scott City
August 19th & 20th, if ya are interested. 8)

I'll be there with my Coupe. :D

plus Mom still  lives there, and any  chance at some of her home  cookin is well worth the drive. :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

kb426

There's a 31 roadster that has a real 427 sideoiler that I see often. It has webers and over the frame headers. He's using sidemount engine mounts and has a 32 grille shell.
TEAM SMART

ice1272

Quote from: "kb426"There's a 31 roadster that has a real 427 sideoiler that I see often. It has webers and over the frame headers. He's using sidemount engine mounts and has a 32 grille shell.

I appreciate the replies, it something I've always wanted to do (build a BB Ford coupe) The body is in great shape the frame is not. So I think Im going to either build one, or go aftermarket. I really dont want to stretch the frame but it sounds like I might have to,   what do you all think?

enjenjo

As mentioned earlier, the BB Ford is long, so you may have to stretch the front of the frame a bit, or really recess the firewall.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

TEAM SMART

donsrods

If you use a '32 frame you will pick up 3 inches , as the WB is 106 vs 103 on the Model A. Don't know what look you are after but either a Deuce frame or one out of 2 x 3 or 2 x 4 rectangular tubing would be strong enough.  I wouldn't even think about it on an A frame, except a repro frame. But you are going to need some extra room up front to accomdate the BB.

One thing though, it will be different and certainly have enough HP. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Don

ice1272

Quote from: "donsrods"If you use a '32 frame you will pick up 3 inches , as the WB is 106 vs 103 on the Model A. Don't know what look you are after but either a Deuce frame or one out of 2 x 3 or 2 x 4 rectangular tubing would be strong enough.  I wouldn't even think about it on an A frame, except a repro frame. But you are going to need some extra room up front to accomdate the BB.

One thing though, it will be different and certainly have enough HP. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Don

well, thats what I was thinking. I really like the looks of a "32 frame with a Model A ,but my money comes and goes so this will more then likely be a long project. I was strongly thinking about building a 2 x 4 frame out of rectangular tubing, my plan was to use a mechanical drawing of a model A frame I have , and with my present model A frame I would basically copy them, adding about 3-4 inches out front or recess the firewall.

I like being different, but i have always loved the bigblock ford and just thought the coupe and the BB would be alot of fun!! Building this car is a life long dream for me and I want to do it the best that i can.

Thanks
Keep the ideas coming guys I can really use you knowledge.

Chris

donsrods

Chris:  I know exactly what you mean about the $ issue.  Don't you just hate it when stupid stuff like food, rent/mortgage, etc get in the way of building a car? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

There are a few companies now selling stamped '32 siderails, and they are going for about $ 700.00 a pair.  They look really good, and you could add a Model a front crossmember to get an additional inch of drop, then add a custom rear crossmember for what ever spring set up you choose.

I have a 30 over 460 sitting on a stand just waiting for some project. I was building it for a 84 Capri, but ended up selling the car to my one Son. It is a pretty good engine with lots of machine work and a roller cam and rockers, good heads, etc.  I also have a built C 6 that is brand new, and will probably use the two in a t bucket kit I have sitting until I get two other cars out of the way.  In a light car like the bucket or your Model A, the BB should run really well. Biggest issues are the size and weight, but an aluminum intake and maybe even aluminum heads will drop that down. I have reworked steel heads for mine, because the aluminum ones didn't fit into my budget, but mine have SS valves, guide plated, ported, etc. and should be ok.

Good luck when you start building your A.

Don

donsrods

Chris:  I know exactly what you mean about the $ issue.  Don't you just hate it when stupid stuff like food, rent/mortgage, etc get in the way of building a car? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

There are a few companies now selling stamped '32 siderails, and they are going for about $ 700.00 a pair.  They look really good, and you could add a Model a front crossmember to get an additional inch of drop, then add a custom rear crossmember for what ever spring set up you choose.

I have a 30 over 460 sitting on a stand just waiting for some project. I was building it for a 84 Capri, but ended up selling the car to my one Son. It is a pretty good engine with lots of machine work and a roller cam and rockers, good heads, etc.  I also have a built C 6 that is brand new, and will probably use the two in a t bucket kit I have sitting until I get two other cars out of the way.  In a light car like the bucket or your Model A, the BB should run really well. Biggest issues are the size and weight, but an aluminum intake and maybe even aluminum heads will drop that down. I have reworked steel heads for mine, because the aluminum ones didn't fit into my budget, but mine have SS valves, guide plates, ported, etc. and should be ok.

Don

ice1272

Quote from: "donsrods"Chris:  I know exactly what you mean about the $ issue.  Don't you just hate it when stupid stuff like food, rent/mortgage, etc get in the way of building a car? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I have a 30 over 460 sitting on a stand just waiting for some project. I was building it for a 84 Capri, but ended up selling the car to my one Son. It is a pretty good engine with lots of machine work and a roller cam and rockers, good heads, etc.  I also have a built C 6 that is brand new, and will probably use the two in a t bucket kit I have sitting until I get two other cars out of the way.  In a light car like the bucket or your Model A, the BB should run really well. Biggest issues are the size and weight, but an aluminum intake and maybe even aluminum heads will drop that down. I have reworked steel heads for mine, because the aluminum ones didn't fit into my budget, but mine have SS valves, guide plates, ported, etc. and should be ok.

Don

Don,

Thanks for the ideas, I have a question for you in reference to the 460, back in the 80's the thing to do with the 460 was to get a good street cam, single 4bbl intake and use a set of 429 heads. Is this still a decent budget combo?

ice1272

Quote from: "donsrods"Chris:  I know exactly what you mean about the $ issue.  Don't you just hate it when stupid stuff like food, rent/mortgage, etc get in the way of building a car? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don

Don,
aint that the truth I keep telling my wife that we really dont need airconditioning in the house !!! :lol:  ....... She said she really did'nt need a husband :shock:  :shock: ........women have no sense of humor when it comes to such things. :?

Thanks for the ideas, I have a question for you in reference to the 460, back in the 80's the thing to do with the 460 was to get a good street cam, single 4bbl intake and use a set of 429 heads. Is this still a decent budget combo?

GPster

If you get a chance look at Page 10 of September Rod and Custom. There is a picture of Jim Lytle's '32 coupe. If you made the top of the "A" gas tank become an extension of the hood and brought the firewall inside the cowl and back to the front door pillars, I'd bet that you could bring the motor back far enough that even the width of the block at the front would still go under the hood. GPster