What is or isnt a so called "rat rod". Opinions??

Started by midnight sun, July 14, 2006, 07:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

How 'bout this:

We'll accept it as a Rat Rod if and only if it can pass the NSRA 23 point inspection? A friend of mine has built a '31 Chevy Pickup. He fabricated most of the truck and I know that it is well built. He had it inspected the other day by the NSRA and it passed. (see the picture of it) The NSRA stands behind their inspections and it is very safety oriented. That's their goal is to have safe rods on the road.
In my state, our state inspections lack a lot on regular cars that travel the roads all of the time. Most of the time if they have working lights & $5, they will pass a Mississippi state inspection.
It's a welcome site to find out what all is checked (with another set of eyes) with the NSRA inspections. One cotter pin not in place on a well built street rod can cause a serious accident.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

tom36

Well, as I recall the 50's, we didn't set out to build dangerous cars--they may have been some that turned out that way but that was because of youth and inexperience.  We stick welded the heavy stuff with welds that resembled bunches of grapes; sheet metal was patched with coathangers for rod and an oxy/acetylene torch.  The plastic fillers back then were like cement  and had to be ground with a grinder to shape it after 24 hours.  Most of our cars had primer spots on them, but I don't recall many that were all "suede".  The goal back then was to have a PAINTED car, like in all the little books.  Most of them never made it to the complete paint stage.  Years later, I built the cars I wanted to when I was a kid but lacked the experience or cash flow to do. So today, I really don't want a car with "patina"---didn't back then, either.  Tom..

GPster

Quote from: "tom36"Most of our cars had primer spots on them, but I don't recall many that were all "suede".  The goal back then was to have a PAINTED car,  So today, I really don't want a car with "patina"  Tom..
I always had lower expectations. I suppose taht many people were like me, they wanted it all the same color. I scored a gallon of "Red Lead" brn paint at an auction one night for $1.50 and painted my '53 Stude with a brush to meet that end. GPster

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "midnight sun"Posted some pictures yesterday of the 31 sedan body I picked up.  In describing what I was going to build,  I said I was shooting for it to be a rat rod or hardcore rod.  One of the replies was a request not to call it a rat rod.  No offense meant to anyone and none taken but I am curious as to what the opinions are as to what constitutes (or not) a so called rat rod.  What are the criteria?  

Just curious as usual.

I'm guessing it's a matter of personal opinion. Some bikers like the term "scoot or scooter", some take offense at it.  It does seem to be a bit overblown now that it's become one of the latest trends, but it's your hot rod: you own it, you build it, you call it what you want. I try not to hang a particular badge on a car. I find them all fun to build and drive, regardless of some fad name or latest style.
IMHO

As much as I hate to agree with Bryan...............I hafta agree with him on this issue. as long as its safe, I don't care what ya call it. just drive it and have fun Dammit!!! :D

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

tomslik

40chevy, that is the most intelligent thing to do BUT the guys that are building the CRAP we're talking about won't have 'em inspected anyway.

i'd go on aboput what i think of nsra's "inspections" but i don't feel like huntin'&peckin" it all out...

as far as the "sears & robuck  special", they COULD have at least used snap-on.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Bib_Overalls

When you and I drive down the road in our well built cars the general public says "Look at that nice old car."  

But when a rodent rod goes by they say "Look at the piece of s#%t!  There aught to be a law."

I am old enough to remember when hot rods, however well built, were associated with street racing and hooliganism.  That is in the past.

When the public, the police, and legislators become concerned about an issue, like unsafe rodent rods, there is always an over correction.  Any law that targets rodent rods will catch us to, nice old car or not.

I can not do much to stop the rodent rod segment of the hobby from being what it is.  But I don't use the term to describe any well built rod and when people use the term to describe my ride I let them know that I am not flattered.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

papastoyss

If it has floor boards it's a "traditional rod". If not, its a rat rod IMHO.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

donsrods

If it has floor boards it's a "traditional rod". If not, its a rat rod IMHO.

Do license plates and stop signs count ???? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don

abonecoupe31

Some of these kids are using bodys that we threw out years ago because they were too rough compared to what was then available.  I admiore that aspect of this nich of the automotive hobby.

But take a closer look at them--they're built too low to the ground to be safe...(scrub lines)...and missing good brakes.  Welds are suspect also.

I think, personally speaking, that the chassis is everything--you have to be able to steer and stop safely.
And use a good safe design.

A fellow I met last year lost his Corvette to a fire, a 1968 model.  After the insurance company compensated him for his loss, he put a roadsterized 29 coupe body on it with the back section from a 27 T coupe and he calls it a Rat Rod.

His has good brakes and 4 wheel independant suspension.

And a very ratty looking body....

SKR8PN

Quote from: "donsrods"Ok, so that doesn't look too bad?  Now check out the pitman arm tack welded to the shaft.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  Oh My Gawd........ :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Crosley.In.AZ

some folks equate rat-rod with junk / unsafe cars.

Not really the case.  I have seen some nice looking cars that are junk builds when you walk up on them and take a close look.

I know a fellow that bought a F-100 1956 truck.  The truck had been in many mags, it was a stunning looking truck.

The whole truck was wired with house type romex wire.

Another ......... 1955 Chev truck  with camaro sub frame.  The owner had cut off the truck frame , then bolted on the Camaro sub frame to the bottom of the truck's frame rails.

4 bolts through the frame rail , no boxing plates on the truck frame rails , nothing...... 4 large bolts.

As I quiz'd the owner/ builder he said 4 bolts were good enough for the camaro , it was good enough for his truck.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

QuoteAs I quiz'd the owner/ builder he said 4 bolts were good enough for the camaro , it was good enough for his truck.

he was probably right :roll:

anyway, i HATE the term ratrod, not for what it impies but just the cornyness of it.
sounds like something a 4 year old would say.......or mainstream america.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Dave

Quote from: "tomslik"
QuoteAs I quiz'd the owner/ builder he said 4 bolts were good enough for the camaro , it was good enough for his truck.

he was probably right :roll:

anyway, i HATE the term ratrod, not for what it impies but just the cornyness of it.
sounds like something a 4 year old would say.......or mainstream america.

street rod Very nice car all the good stuff and air conditioning to boot.
Hot rod  just as nice but no air (thats me)
Traditional rod  the way they did it in the 50's including paint
Rat rod  what ever..........................................................

Dave

midnight sun

I think this came from Flathead Jack.  Not sure but I will give him credit just in case.

A Streetrod has a Chevy motor in the front and a can of wax in the trunk

A Hot Rod has a flathead motor in the front and a box of tools in the trunk.
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Normspeed

I like that quote.    

Quote from: "midnight sun"I think this came from Flathead Jack.  Not sure but I will give him credit just in case.

A Streetrod has a Chevy motor in the front and a can of wax in the trunk

A Hot Rod has a flathead motor in the front and a box of tools in the trunk.