T-Bird Independent rear end?

Started by TerryO, April 05, 2004, 04:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerryO

I am considering putting independent suspension under my '49 Ford coupe. Can anybody that has used these things recommend if there is a specific year/s of T-Bird that would be best to use? I want about 3.5/3.7 ratio and traction lock (or whatever they call posi in a T-Bird) to use behind an AOD. I don't care whether or not is has disc brakes as I will use whatever it comes with. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

unklian

I think they all the T-Bird independant rears come with Disc brakes.
Some of the late model Mustangs also came with an independent rear.

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "TerryO"I am considering putting independent suspension under my '49 Ford coupe. Can anybody that has used these things recommend if there is a specific year/s of T-Bird that would be best to use? I want about 3.5/3.7 ratio and traction lock (or whatever they call posi in a T-Bird) to use behind an AOD. I don't care whether or not is has disc brakes as I will use whatever it comes with. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rear tread width on your '49 is approximately 56-57 inches.

Rear tread width on an '89-up IRS T-bird is 60.2 inches - according to the "Standard Catalog of American Cars."

Measure really carefully, and decide exactly how you will make it fit before cutting anything.

Bob Paulin
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

btrc

I've got a T-bird rear in my '37 Ford.  I had to narrow it about 6" to get everything in.  To do that I had to have shortened axles machined and had to fabricate my own a-arms along with a subframe to mount them to.  I'm not sure but I don't believe all the T-birds have disc brakes.  My stuff is from a Super Coupe and it does.  The V8 and super coupe have the 8.8 gear and the V6 has the smaller gear.   My ratio is 3.25:1 and has the posi.  I don't know if anything besides the Super Coupe has the posi.  One thing to remember on the track measurements given is that the T-bird uses the large inset wheels like a front driver so you have to take wheel offset into mind when deciding if it will fit.  Also I had to redrill the hubs and rotors because the T-bird uses an odd (110 mm I think) bolt pattern.

Bob
Bob

Phat

Not all t-birds with IRS use discs or are they 8.8s.  Some also have the smaller rear. Stick with a super coupe rear.  I have a couple of them in big sedans and they work real well. Not as easy to use as a vette but about half the price to buy. (supercoupe rear about 200 vette about 5-600) Becarful narrowing it as you can really get buried in a money pit for something that rides marginally better. Allways loved my super coupes (owned 3 of them) they ride like caddy but really put the hurts on the 5.0 crowd.(blown v-6)  Exhaust clearance is a also a pain in the butt.
Old racers go in deep and come out hard