Turbo 350 Shifter indicator

Started by richard 36dodge, July 07, 2006, 08:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard 36dodge

Has anybody made a shifter indicator?  I have some 12volt leds that would look great as shift indicator on the dash .  I have looked for some type of rotary switch to go from the steering column ,but have not found one that looks like it would work.
Thanks,
Rick Harris

enjenjo

Some of the newer cars have a rotary switch that fits on the trans, that would operate like you want. Ford comes to mind.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"Has anybody made a shifter indicator?  I have some 12volt leds that would look great as shift indicator on the dash .  I have looked for some type of rotary switch to go from the steering column ,but have not found one that looks like it would work.
Thanks,
Rick Harris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made a simple switch which mounts on my TH-350.  

It was made from a piece of 1/8" thick polycarbonate (Lexan) using stainless steel screws as contacts.   This mounts to the two threaded holes above the pan rail.     .....The other piece was a switch lever made from 1/16" thick brass, and is attached to the shift rod sticking out of the trans.

Switched and fused 12v POS (+) is connected to one side of the six indicator lamps (P-R-N-D-2-1) mounted in the dash.   .....  The other side of the lamps are connected with small (22ga) wires down to the stainless steel screw contacts.  

The transmission is already grounded (or should be) through the engine, so the brass switch lever connects 12v NEG (-) to the appropriate contact screw.

It really is much simpler than it sounds!  .....Once fabricated and installed, it requires no adjustment.

I also used that same switch to operate two relays which allowed the starter to engage only in  PARK or NEUTRAL.   ......If you already have a neutral safety switch built into your shifter, you would not need the two relays.

I have a floor shifter mounted on my transmission, but I believe my switch would also work for a column-mount shifter.

Sorry I can't post a photo to show how simple it is.  .....  If you decide to pursue this approach, I can supply more detailed info.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

richard 36dodge

I like your idea very much. I like your using the ground just like the dome light. I wish you had some pictures that would make it clearer.    
Does the shifter arm on the trans go through an ark or straight ?  How are you mounting the lexan ? How well does it hold up with the trans heat ?  Are you using flathead SS screws or round head screws ?
This is what I like about this Forum SOOOO MUCH KNOWLEDGE  !!!
THANKS , Rick Harris

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"I wish you had some pictures that would make it clearer.

If you can wait a few days, I will try to get some pics.   .....I think I still have the template for the plastic part of the switch.

Quote from: "richard36dodge"Does the shifter arm on the trans go through an ark or straight ?

The tip of the brass lever swings in an arc, so the screws (contacts) are arranged in an arc on the plastic parts, as well.

Quote from: "richard36dodge"How are you mounting the lexan ?

My TH-350 had two unused, blind, threaded (5/16"-18?) holes in the aluminum case, just above the pan/case parting line.  ....I don't know if all TH-350's have these holes, or if they were particular to a certain application.

Quote from: "richard6dodge"How well does it hold up with the trans heat? Are you using flathead SS screws or round head screws?

I have had no problem with heat affecting the Lexan.  ....However, polycarbonate is vulnerable to petroleum distillates.  Gas or oil will make it craze and become brittle.  ....Its biggest advantage is its impact strength.

Acrylic plastic (Plexiglass) is too brittle to use, in my opinion, and will crack from vibration.  .....UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) polyethylene may be suitable for this use, but I have not tried it, so I can't say for sure.

I used round-head s/s machine screws, but I don't recall if I used #8-32 or #10-32.   I will check on that.  ....I also flattened the dome of the screws slightly with a file to provide more surface contact.        

Some people may be concerned about passing electrical current through the transmission.  .....IMHO, the current to light an LED or small indicator lamp is low enough to not be a factor in transmission durability.  .....If the possibility of electrolysis worries you, it would be possible to (electrically) insulate the brass lever from the transmission components.  The 12v NEG would then be attached to the brass lever.

richard 36dodge

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "richard 36dodge"I wish you had some pictures that would make it clearer.

If you can wait a few days, I will try to get some pics.   .....I think I still have the template for the plastic part of the switch.

Quote from: "richard36dodge"Does the shifter arm on the trans go through an ark or straight ?

The tip of the brass lever swings in an arc, so the screws (contacts) are arranged in an arc on the plastic parts, as well.

Quote from: "richard36dodge"How are you mounting the lexan ?

My TH-350 had two unused, blind, threaded (5/16"-18?) holes in the aluminum case, just above the pan/case parting line.  ....I don't know if all TH-350's have these holes, or if they were particular to a certain application.

Quote from: "richard6dodge"How well does it hold up with the trans heat? Are you using flathead SS screws or round head screws?

I have had no problem with heat affecting the Lexan.  ....However, polycarbonate is vulnerable to petroleum distillates.  Gas or oil will make it craze and become brittle.  ....Its biggest advantage is its impact strength.

Acrylic plastic (Plexiglass) is too brittle to use, in my opinion, and will crack from vibration.  .....UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) polyethylene may be suitable for this use, but I have not tried it, so I can't say for sure.

I used round-head s/s machine screws, but I don't recall if I used #8-32 or #10-32.   I will check on that.  ....I also flattened the dome of the screws slightly with a file to provide more surface contact.        

Some people may be concerned about passing electrical current through the transmission.  .....IMHO, the current to light an LED or small indicator lamp is low enough to not be a factor in transmission durability.  .....If the possibility of electrolysis worries you, it would be possible to (electrically) insulate the brass lever from the transmission components.  The 12v NEG would then be attached to the brass lever.
I can wait for some pictures. I have a TH-350 and I am not sure I have these holes,but I will look.
Thanks for all the info.
Rick Harris

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"I can wait for some pictures. I have a TH-350 and I am not sure I have these holes, but I will look.  
Rick Harris

Rick, please PM or e-mail your phone number and the best time to call you.     .......Please include your snail-mail addy, also.

~~~Bruce

richard 36dodge

My address is:
Richard Harris
6692 Springlake Dr
Columbug, Ga 31909

Thanks , Rick Harris
I am a Corp Pilot and  fly into Teterboro , NJ Airport.
Do you live near there ?

Crosley.In.AZ

Richard,

I really would think it is better to use the PM system or email your address.... rather than post it on the internet
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

richard 36dodge

My e-mail is:
RFH36Dodge@earthlink.net
I will give you my phone number via e-mail
Thanks, Rick Harris