Steering question...

Started by Rayvyn, July 06, 2006, 01:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvyn

I took a 1930 Chevy Coupe for a test drive yesterday. The car handled well and drove well, and overall was a great looking rod, but the steering radius threw me for a loop.
It's a typical 350/350 auto, with MII IFS, and the manual steering rack mounted in front of the cross member.
I pulled into a left turn lane to make a U-turn onto a 3 lane road, had the wheel turned all the way left, and the car couldn't make the turn without me stopping short of the curb, backing up into the oncoming traffic and turning further. Is this normal for a car with this setup, does the placement of the rack make for diffcult turning, or is there something wrong with this set-up?
I've never had that happen before with such a small car, and it left me wondering what would've happened if there had been alot of cars coming up behind me. Seems kinda dangerous to me. My big Silverado turns narrower than this.
I wanted to know before I think any further about buying it. Thanks in advance... :!:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

enjenjo

No, it's not normal. Rack placement can make a difference. See if it's the same to the right.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "enjenjo"No, it's not normal. Rack placement can make a difference. See if it's the same to the right.

Not much difference; a little smaller radius but not much. I did some casual figure 8's with it in a parking lot, and was dissapointed in how big of an area it takes to turn this car.
***SFC-Team Smart***

Dave

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "enjenjo"No, it's not normal. Rack placement can make a difference. See if it's the same to the right.

Not much difference; a little smaller radius but not much. I did some casual figure 8's with it in a parking lot, and was dissapointed in how big of an area it takes to turn this car.

It should turn tighter that that. Im curious whos MII crossmember ? Typically early chevys and model a's dont look right with a stock style MII setup because they are a little wide . They do better with the superride style. How bout some pics of this thing.??
Dave

Rayvyn

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "Rayvyn"

It should turn tighter that that. Im curious whos MII crossmember ? Typically early chevys and model a's dont look right with a stock style MII setup because they are a little wide . They do better with the superride style. How bout some pics of this thing.??
Dave
\

I went by the guys house and the car wasn't there. I called him up and he stated that a mechanic friend of his had the car for servicing today. I wondered why he got a little put off when I commented about the steering problem. He states that the car was a work in progress when he bought it, and he didn't know what MII was under it.  Seems like he doesn't know much of anything about it.
I'm leery of this whole thing now. I haven't seen under the car yet, but now I'm not sure I want to.
Back to looking I guess...
***SFC-Team Smart***

phat rat

Well it may not be quit right, but it also might be something that wouldn't take much to fix. How's the price, right up there or a deal?  Maybe that's why it's for sale and maybe a low buck offer could bring it home. How's the rest of the car suit you?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Chebby

Is there a stopper adjustment for turning radii on MustangII front ends? It might just need a 2 minute adjustment if that were the case.

Chebby

Leon

Does it have custom made steering arms on the spindles?  If they are too long the wheels won't turn enough.

Rex Schimmer

Leon hit the nail on the head! If the steering arms are to long or if they are not positioned for any Ackerman effect all of this will make for a big turning radius. If the rack is positioned wrong such that the steering rods are not straight, this will also reduce turning radius. The comment about the steering stops is also a very big possibility.

Make sure the rack is in the right place, make sure the steering stops, if there are any, are not the problem and then check the steering arms, are they made for a "front steer" set up. Good steering arms designed for front steer and that have a little Ackerman in them are not real common but they will position the steering joint at the wheel/spindle area inside the wheel a little to get the Ackerman geometry.

Rex

GPster

What might have been done is some rear steer rack was pieced together with the stock spindles switched side-for-side with out any concern for anything but looks. Most of those early cars look funny with a front mounted rack because there is no sheetmetal to hide it or the steering shaft. This might have been built as something thrown together to make money and the builder lucked out by finding someone who didn't know anything but how to sign a check. It will probably be had to deal for because anything you find wrong will be taken by the seller as a hint that he was dumb for not knowing that. GPster

Rayvyn

Quote from: "phat rat"Well it may not be quit right, but it also might be something that wouldn't take much to fix. How's the price, right up there or a deal?  Maybe that's why it's for sale and maybe a low buck offer could bring it home. How's the rest of the car suit you?

The car was going for 27,900. The interior is in real good shape and well done, the body was straight, and it drove okay. (straight anyway). The motor is a fairly new crate that ran well.  It was a car that needed just a few minor touchups. Paint was good, although it looked just a tad thin on the running boards, and whoever fastened the boards to the fenders didn't use welting; they used a dark construction type adhesive or caulking.

I haven't made the guy a formal offer. I've been looking and calling for him for a day and a half now and haven't gotten a return call, and the car hasn't been at his house since after I drove it. The guy did tell me it had a 700R4 trans, which turned out to be a 350, so I was cautious about things before I even drove it. I guess he didn't like my matter of fact comment about the steering, but I thought it was dangerous and told him so. The least he could of done was let me know ahead of time. P#@S on him. There's something shady here with this car, so I'll keep looking. Thanks to all for their input. It's much appreciated. :D
Bryan
***SFC-Team Smart***

tomslik

a lot to be said for gut feelings.

i should take my own advise;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list