SBC Alternator brackets

Started by rix2six, July 05, 2006, 02:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rix2six

I've got a ' 26 T Roadster with a SB Chevy. Currently, I've got the alternator mounted on the right (pass) side of the motor, kinda inbetween the valve cover and the water neck. I wanna put on a different intake manifold that requires the oil filler to be right where the alternator sits now. This means I need to relocate the alt.  

On a lark, I picked up a "low mount" bracket at a swap meet. When I went to mount it, I realized that this would move the alt to the area occupied by my steering box so it's a no go.

What other options are there out there? Does someone make a mount that would move it to the drivers side next to the VC like the bracket I have now?

I'm looking for something non billet as I'm going for a mid 60s look for the car and billet would be out of place.  

Also, the water pump is a short.

Leon

Check Alan Grove http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/
Part #  200L - ALT will put it over on the driver's side

rix2six

I'll take a look.. thank you!

DRD57

Bill's Hot Rod Company in Covina, CA makes nice brackets. They have them that mount to either side of a small block Chevy.

GPster

Do you have early or late style heads on your motor? Later heads have ('68 and newer) have 3 bosses tapped in the ends of the block that open up some of the accessory mounting but the only way you can see them factory with short water pumps is '67 to '72 trucks or '68 to '73 (?) Vettes. It puts the alternater on the drivers side of the motor but outside of the valve cover which may make it too wide to be under an early model narrow hood. GPster

rix2six

Quote from: "DRD57"Bill's Hot Rod Company in Covina, CA makes nice brackets. They have them that mount to either side of a small block Chevy.

I'll checkout Bill's... they're close enough that I can drive the car up there to size everything up.

Thanks,

rix2six

Quote from: "GPster"Do you have early or late style heads on your motor? Later heads have ('68 and newer) have 3 bosses tapped in the ends of the block that open up some of the accessory mounting but the only way you can see them factory with short water pumps is '67 to '72 trucks or '68 to '73 (?) Vettes. It puts the alternater on the drivers side of the motor but outside of the valve cover which may make it too wide to be under an early model narrow hood. GPster

I knew I forgot something. They're the the early style heads.

Rick

Bib_Overalls

SoCal has a bracket that uses water pump and intake manifold bolts to mount.  About $50 as I recall.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

rix2six

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"SoCal has a bracket that uses water pump and intake manifold bolts to mount.  About $50 as I recall.

I'll check that one too.

Thanks everyone.

blksheep

Have you thought about makin an "S" shaped oil fill/breather tube that would clear the alternator?? No new brakets needed and would look kinda trick on a '60's period sbc.    

blksheep...world of difference planet dweller...in Charlotte

Ed ke6bnl

I have an old 327 with the old camel hump heads not screw holes. hope the pictures will show the $10 bracket on the header bolt and the curved adjuster  mounted to the water pump bolt. works fine after some miner shimming.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ke6bnl/Ford%2050%20F1/digitalpictures12-27273.jpg
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Arnold

Quote from: "rix2six"
Quote from: "GPster"Do you have early or late style heads on your motor? Later heads have ('68 and newer) have 3 bosses tapped in the ends of the block that open up some of the accessory mounting but the only way you can see them factory with short water pumps is '67 to '72 trucks or '68 to '73 (?) Vettes. It puts the alternater on the drivers side of the motor but outside of the valve cover which may make it too wide to be under an early model narrow hood. GPster

I knew I forgot something. They're the the early style heads.

Rick

I am NOT! reccomending that you do this.It has been done both very successfully and very NOT. There is some way of determining just which of those heads without the threaded holes in the ends can easily be drilled and tapped.I don't know it..nor do I know who does? Perhaps someone here does.It must have something do to with obscure casting marks.There have indeed been identical heads..except that one set was factory tapped and one wasn't.I THINK..pretty sure.. that some truck(light duty) used a 1.94 valve and had the heads tapped while the identical passenger head wasn't tapped but could be. There used to be some mention of it by application in old Hollanders..that the head was tapped for accessory holes.

There are also some different alternator brackets..as well as other brackets that were used with larger alternators and other stuff   on med duty sbc trucks.

rix2six

Quote from: "blksheep"Have you thought about makin an "S" shaped oil fill/breather tube that would clear the alternator?? No new brakets needed and would look kinda trick on a '60's period sbc.    

blksheep...world of difference planet dweller...in Charlotte

I hadn't thought of that. I dunno if there's the room for it but I could always mock it up and give it a shot.

I'll have to think about it.

rix2six

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"I have an old 327 with the old camel hump heads not screw holes. hope the pictures will show the $10 bracket on the header bolt and the curved adjuster  mounted to the water pump bolt. works fine after some miner shimming.  

That looks like it would work.

I bought my car from a guy in Agua Dulce.... I'm trying to remember his name... anyways it was about 3 years ago.

rix2six

Quote from: "Arnold"

I am NOT! reccomending that you do this.It has been done both very successfully and very NOT. There is some way of determining just which of those heads without the threaded holes in the ends can easily be drilled and tapped.I don't know it..nor do I know who does? Perhaps someone here does.It must have something do to with obscure casting marks.There have indeed been identical heads..except that one set was factory tapped and one wasn't.I THINK..pretty sure.. that some truck(light duty) used a 1.94 valve and had the heads tapped while the identical passenger head wasn't tapped but could be. There used to be some mention of it by application in old Hollanders..that the head was tapped for accessory holes.

There are also some different alternator brackets..as well as other brackets that were used with larger alternators and other stuff   on med duty sbc trucks.

LOL

I hope I don't have to go to that extreme to get this to work! There are several great ideas here. I think I'm gonna try the one that mounts the alt off the header and outboard of the VC. Looks like the best & cheapest solution.

Rick