Cat eliminating....

Started by slocrow, April 05, 2004, 08:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Can I replace the exhaust pipes, on a TPI engined car and eliminate the cats, as long as there is still provision for the O2 sensor(s)? Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

enjenjo

Yes, but it would be illegal on an emission controlled vehicle.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

slocrow

Thank you Frank. I kind of thought I could but was curious about any ill effect before ordering the pipes from Corvette Central. Yes, you are correct re the street legal thing after removal. At least here in "the heart of it all". Did you know that any and all Corvettes (even current model year) are considered "collector" vehicles and once identified as such through registration don't have to get a sniff test before registration or re-registration for that matter. Just a little FYI........

purplepickup

Quote from: "slocrow"Did you know that any and all Corvettes ..(snip).. don't have to get a sniff test before registration or re-registration for that matter.

I wouldn't throw the cats out with the kitty litter Frank.  I'll bet in the near future the environmental laws will stiffen up and include a lot of cars that are now considered exempt.

Here in Michigan we never had sniff tests and now they're talking about starting it because of pollution blowing over from Wisconsin.....prolly Faat Rod over there breaking wind :shock:
George

slocrow

That saving them is probably a good idea George as things do change and "we" are an easy target.
The car just isn't running the same since the new injectors and it feels like I'm either running out of gas or a plugged exhaust so I figured I'd get a little more rumble, eliminate that concern and the siamese central pipe in one swell phoope.
After I was working on it the other weekend during the 68 degree Spring tease I noticed what looked like white house paint on the floor under the exhaust tips. I haven't got it up on the rack yet to investigate but it's something I've never run into before and have no idea what could cause that residue. Really strange. Oh yeah, what's with the (snip) truck boy..... :lol:

Ok, I thought about it while getting ready for lunch and I apologize for the "truck boy" comment enve though it was made in jest.
Re the methane from Wisc; isn't cheese made from milk. Maybe we're blaming Bob for what's a cow problem :roll:

purplepickup

Quote from: "slocrow"Oh yeah, what's with the (snip) truck boy..... :lol:

For years on the RRT, especially the old RRT,  (snip) has been a way to show that I'm quoting part of what you said instead of the whole thing....just the part that pertains to my response.   I usually use it only when I "snip" the middle part of quote out.  

...Or if you are John Wayne Bobbit, it is what Lorena did. :shock:

....got that, Corvette boy??

For those that might think I'm getting a little testy, Frank is a friend and we're kidding around....right Vette boy?
George

Charlie Chops 1940

Oh goody, I wanna see you two old galoots stand toe-to-toe on the 17th and start swinging. That ougta be REAL interesting......

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Bob K

starting it because of pollution blowing over from Wisconsin.....prolly Faat Rod over there breaking wind :shock:[/quote]

I represent that remark.

B :oops: B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

SKR8PN

SloCrow........One more thing you might want to research a bit before you eliminate the cats.........I have seen,on SOME vehicles,after you open up the exhaust,there can be TO MUCH flow over the O2 sensors. It keeps the O2 sensors to cool. They gotta be hot to function properly,and to have a decent life span. That's why the newer ones have a heater circuit in them. It warms them up quicker,so the computer can go closed loop quicker,but it also helps to keep them clean,so they last longer.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Jimc

I mistakenly took the Vertor off my 03 Dakota v8 and put on a Flowmaster system.
Fuel mileage went to--------.
Took the Flowmaster off, put the original stuff back. Went to Bay City, Michigan this past weekend.
Truck was quieter(not exactly what I qas hoping for) and the gas mileage was surprisingly good.
At Michigan gas prices, it was a good thing. :wink:
Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

Sean

Cat eliminating?

.22-250 works pretty good.

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Oh goody, I wanna see you two old galoots stand toe-to-toe on the 17th and start swinging. That ougta be REAL interesting......

Charlie

Me thinks there will be a lot of huffing and puffing and not much swinging.
I can't wait!  :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

enjenjo

QuoteMe thinks there will be a lot of huffing and puffing and not much swinging.
I can't wait!

So do I start the book now, or day of the fight. Right now it's 1 and 1, George is younger, but Frank is sneakier, so he will probably get in the first punch.  :twisted:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Me thinks it will be a lesson in windmill aerodynamics, but if I was a betting man I'd sure put a Bud Light on "sneaky boy"!!!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

Psst....Charlie....here's a little inside info.... 8)

Put a LOT on Vette Boy, first round.   Then buy Truck Boy a case of beer.....he can be bought.  He'll take a fall 1 second into the first round.   In fact tell all your pals to do the same thing
George