9" Ford Gear Lube Capacity

Started by Scrap Fe, July 03, 2006, 06:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrap Fe

What weight gear lube is recommended for a 9" Traction Lock rear end and how much?  The housing is a 1966 Fairlane if that makes a difference.

TIA

Charlie Chops 1940

Fill it til it just spills over the edge of the  fill hole. I always use 80/90 with a little bottle of posi-lube from the GM store.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Scrap Fe

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Fill it til it just spills over the edge of the  fill hole. I always use 80/90 with a little bottle of posi-lube from the GM store.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie.

I think it takes almost 3 quarts if my memory serves me but I don't trust it like I used to.  I'll buy 3 quarts and see how far it goes.

Charlie Chops 1940

That'll probably do it. I just filled the S-10 rear in the track roadster and it took just under 2 qts. I'm sure the 9" will take a bit more.

About ready to roll?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Scrap Fe

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"That'll probably do it. I just filled the S-10 rear in the track roadster and it took just under 2 qts. I'm sure the 9" will take a bit more.

About ready to roll?

Charlie

Charlie,

I got the frame and suspension components back from the powder coater and I'm assembling the chassis.  I built a temporary dash board / wiring harness so I can install the engine / trans etc into the chassis and fire it up with the exhaust and radiator and check everything out before I paint the body and install on the chassis.

I'm planning to assemble the chassis, paint the body and install the body before winter.  I can wire, install glass, weatherstrip over the winter and hopefully drive it without interior next year.

Ah, the best laid plans.  I'll post some chassis pictures later.

blksheep

I like to fill them so the tip of my forefinger can just make contact with the fluid (80/90 wt.) once bent at the 1st nuckle.
Also, make certain the axel tube vent is clear and unrestricted, or the internal pressure will blow the axel seals, as it will if overfilled.
Dont' forget to add the posi lube 1st, then the gear lube.

blksheep......in Charlotte

Inprimer

Quote from: "blksheep"I like to fill them so the tip of my forefinger can just make contact with the fluid (80/90 wt.) once bent at the 1st nuckle.
Also, make certain the axel tube vent is clear and unrestricted, or the internal pressure will blow the axel seals, as it will if overfilled.
Dont' forget to add the posi lube 1st, then the gear lube.

blksheep......in Charlotte
I'm taking the opportunity to highjack this post...... several months ago, I had this "howling" noise for what I thought was my TH350. Thru a series of elimination I finally found the cause seems the pinion seal on the 8 in Ford went bad, wiping out the pinion bearing.  I'm not blaming the guy who had installed the locker for it . I installed the 3rd member filled it per specs and drove it for a year.all in all I got the pboblem solved My friend is going to install a new seal ,pinion bearing  and all for $30   nice deal...