Just found the perfect carb...

Started by Chebby, June 30, 2006, 09:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chebby

... So I thought until I read the "fine print".

Hi all,

I was on the Holley website looking for a carburator for my 305 SBC. I was looking for something around 500 cfm. I found one at 465 cfm (number 0-1848-1) but when I read the specs it says : "Not compatible with GM or Chrysler automatic transmissions.

What's that about? Kickdown compatibility? Downshifts?

All this begs the question, what carb would suit my application?

Thanks all.

Chebby

Charlie Chops 1940

In looking at the Holley site it would appear that the 465 doesn't have the correct throttle lever geometry.

The 390 might be ok for your 305 but I'd think the 600 would be a better bet. I think any of the Hollleys need an adaptor on the throttle llinkage for the 700R4 tv cable.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

blksheep

I like Edelbrock's Performer Series 500 cfm for that application. Direct bolt of, set the idle and enjoy.  PN#1403 is the electric choke version, cost bout $280.00 thru Jegs or Summit.
The Edelbrock carbs have another feature the Harleys, oops, I mean Holleys don't have. The don't leak.

OR,.........go to the bone yard and find you an mid (NOT '85) to late 80's Camaro of Firebird and rob the tuned port injection intake, distributor, wiring harness and computer. You'll need an electric fuel pump, 3/8" fuel feed and 5/16" fuel return lines, an in-line fuel filter  and your carb days are over.
Ain't nothin like being directly injected....

blksheep...strickley "NO CARB" diet...in Charlotte

SKR8PN

I have never had problem with Holley's leaking.........and they have at least one advantage over the Edelcrap carbs........
They have almost infinite adjustability. :D

oh......and the Holley's won't vapor lock NEAR as easily as the Edelcrap carbs  will on the SAME manifold.   :shock:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I have never had problem with Holley's leaking.........and they have at least one advantage over the Edelcrap carbs........
They have almost infinite adjustability. :D

oh......and the Holley's won't vapor lock NEAR as easily as the Edelcrap carbs  will on the SAME manifold.   :shock:

Ditto.  :)

I have run Holley carbs for years, virtually trouble free, except for an occasional power valve replacement, which was no fault of the carb, just the tuner.  :oops:

I have had good luck with a carter AFB on a small block also.

good luck with whatever you decide to run with. :)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

richard 36dodge

I am running a Road Demon. The best Carb I have ran. No they don't leak ! They are a little rich out of the box.  I got the road Demon 625 cfm for my 350. and they make a Road Demon jr at  525 cfm..
Go to www.barrygrant.com
I think you will like them. They look great and very smooth idle.
Rick Harris.